Bottom Bracket Issue with Giant SCR / HollowTech II

psdrage
psdrage Posts: 26
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Hi

I have recently upgraded my Giant SCR Commuter to full Ultegra including External Bearings. The BB appeared to have been faced as it was bare metal.

However, I have been through 2 Shimano Ultegra BB's doing less that 150 miles on each. They have both gone in the same fashion. Left hand side starts clicking very quietly then gets louder until I get a double click each pedal revolution.

I am taking the bike to my LBS to get the BB Shell checked and faced if needed.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on Shimano BBs and whether they are any good.

I have been looking at Hope's new Road BB and also Rotor's SABB, agian looking for people's thoughts.

Regards

Peter

Comments

• bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    im also on hollowtech 2
    thats worrying i changed my tiagra bb (its been running a bit over 1000miles) to ultegra & had it greased with rock n roll super web grease, got a bit of an improvement out of it but the clicking startd again and its feeling a bit rough tho im wondering whether it needs time to smooth itself out. but ive been in contact with a bike mechanic. so all hoping i find something to help. too. also dont be annoyed if you get a post asking you to check everywhere else and are you so sure that its the bb. supposedly some who have thought it was their bb have found it was something else tho i could be wrong about that.
  • psdrage
    psdrage Posts: 26
    I am fortunate that I have an identical Giant SCR Road Bike with Ultegra SL Groupset.

I have swaped over Wheels, Chain, Cassette, Crankset and Pedals, click stayed. Only stopped when I put new BB in and then it started up again after around 100 miles.

I swapped BB;s between Road and Commuter bike and that swapped the clicking from Commuter to Road.

I am 100% confident that it is the BB that is at fault. Click is worse under load.

Regards

Peter
  • bobpzero
    just a suggestion http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33554
    the chris king road bb. .
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Have a look at this post, it might be the same with your Ultegra bearings.
    I have used Tiagra and 105 HT2 with no problems.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12642648
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • bobpzero
    some have said in the past to have the chain checked as a stiff link could be the cause of the creaking/clicking. tho another bb replacement possibility would be Hope road bb. anyways psdrage any closer to the solution your looking for?