Building a groupset - DA7800 with 7900 cranks?

robertquantrell
robertquantrell Posts: 3
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Hi all,

searched the web and the forums and it seems there are as many opinions on this!

I'm building a groupset of Dura Ace 7800 parts and have the STI's, Front mech, rear mech and brakes so far.

The next item is the crankset - I want a compact crank and was looking (drooling) over the new DA 7900 compact cranks.

However will this be compatible with the 7800 components?

Some people say a 10 speed crankset is a 10 speed crankset and it will be fine, others (including Shimanos compatibility wallchart) say it won't work?

Any thoughts out there!? Help!

Thanks!

Comments

• torrens
    torrens Posts: 32
    Hi

I've been using a DA7900 compact (50/34) chainset with a DA7800 double front mech for a couple of months now. No problems with shifting at all. Although the bb bearing sockets on my Madone's frame are wearing (again!), but that's another story...
  • torrens wrote:
    Hi

I've been using a DA7900 compact (50/34) chainset with a DA7800 double front mech for a couple of months now. No problems with shifting at all. Although the bb bearing sockets on my Madone's frame are wearing (again!), but that's another story...

Great stuff Torrens - just what i wanted to hear! :D

Thanks!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    pretty much any double or compact chainset will run with any drivetrain. I've fitted allsorts of stuff to allsorts of bikes and never had a problem.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    maddog 2 wrote:
    pretty much any double or compact chainset will run with any drivetrain. I've fitted allsorts of stuff to allsorts of bikes and never had a problem.

+1
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    some info here on running 7900 with 7800

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=61531
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    I'm sure I read somwhere that the 7900 chainset, chain and sporckets go together (ie don't mix with older gear, or was it just that the chain is directional?

I'm not sure but it would be worth checking the shimano site in case, those chainsets are a few £hunderd.
    O na bawn i fel LA