Biggest climb to date

skinson
skinson Posts: 362
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Just done my biggest climb yet. 48k total ride, but the hard bit was a 150m climb over 1.5k I have to say it made me sweat a bit, My gearing is a 52 39, with a 12 27 rear. Guess which I was on :) I was out of the saddle as much as I was in it!! Made me feel really good when I got to the summit, and the 5k free ride down (60kph at times) was more than worth the effort. Anybody from the Bolton area will know it. I started in Leyland, through abbey village to Belmont then over to rivington. Next time I'm gonna try from the rivington side. Think it's a bit longer so should be a good test.
Dave

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    good work fella.. ;)

The biggest climb round here gains 1000ft over 4.5 miles, but I don't really enjoy it to be honest as it's quite exposed and a bit rough in places. The views are nice though...
  • Yeah i ride from the other side regullary, very good climb gets tough on the last section to the bend.
    Not climbed it the way you did it but was planning to over the weekend.
    Its always good when you reach the top of a tough climb. I am looking forward to trying Honister pass again soon as last time i failed and had to push part of the steepest section but i am definitely going to get up when i return.
  • skinson
    just memory mapped honister here are the results (seatoller to buttermere)

total dist...5.78km
    total ascent 260 m
    total descent 281m

for rivington (Belmont to old post office)

total distance 4.5km
    total ascent 148m
    total descent 160m.

Bit nearer to home than honister though!!
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    This sounds like a nice climb.

I must admit that when you said it was a 150m climb over 1.5km, I was struggling to think of a regular climb I do that could match it. For example, my daily ride out of town involves a climb of 101m over 1.5km and there are plenty of similar climbs on my usual routes. However, I can't think of any that are 1 in 10 for 1.5km. Perhaps the nearest is out of Ottery St Mary up to Chineway Head. This includes a section with a climb of 133m in 1.5km. This is popular with local riders and I've done it with a 34/25 gear.

Edindevon
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    edited August 2009
    I'm off to the Pyrenees tomorrow so i'll give you an update when i'm back :wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • around my folks place there are a few 3 to 4 mile or so 1000ft plus climbs so one of them I guess, though they are by no means the hardest as the gradient is not that steep.
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    I did monmouth to Stanton once with the wife...no idea what that is?

Off to Forest of Dean next week so will see what that has in store for me.
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Did Mow Cop in Cheshire the other week, according to bikehike it's 1.46 Km with 162m climbing, near did kill me it did.....
  • skinson
    Have you noticed on paper they don't look that hard? But I was climbing steadily from the m65 roundabout, which is 10km from where the real climbing starts. :shock:
    Dave
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    Ignorance is a great thing, i did Mont Ventoux on 9th July this year.

Just read William Fotheringham's book about Tom Simpson. Had i read all the comments about Ventoux before July, i think i would have chickened out!

http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • The road up to Grizedale forest from the bottom of Coniston is a real brute, I swear it's almost 45% (probably nearer 30%), and also the aptly named Brootes Lane just after Arncliffe in the Dales, another 30% climb, raises about 180m in no time at all.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My personal best so far is the UK's biggest, Bealach na Ba; and you hear enough around here about the big climbs on the continent.
    But can anyone tell me what the biggest climb in the world is? I would say that the rules are 1. It must be a paved road, and 2. it must be a reasonably continuous climb (like the definitions for Munros, etc, this rule is not very specific and likely to promote debate, as if anyone would do that here)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    One of the toughest climbs I have done has been from Bewerley (near Pateley Bridge in North Yorks) up to Heyshaw Moor. My Garmin GPS showed an ascent of 715 feet in a distance of 1.1 miles. Even although my bike has a triple ring I was in the lowest gear most of the way and weaving from side to side of the road in some places just to keep moving. Just as well it's a quiet road!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    How lucky you all are, that you have climbs within a rideable distance...
    I live in Norfolk, the highest I've ever been on a local route is 215'... :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bompington wrote:
    My personal best so far is the UK's biggest, Bealach na Ba; and you hear enough around here about the big climbs on the continent.
    But can anyone tell me what the biggest climb in the world is? I would say that the rules are 1. It must be a paved road, and 2. it must be a reasonably continuous climb (like the definitions for Munros, etc, this rule is not very specific and likely to promote debate, as if anyone would do that here)

Biggest I've did is Mount Teide in Tenerife and Pico Nieves in Gran Canaria...those are monstrously long...~44-48 Kms....and climb between 1950-2350 meters....also on the Canarian Island of La Palma....theres a 2450 meter beast there....not many bigger than the Canaries one...only 2 I know off

I think theres also one in the Sierra Nevada slightly bigger...Pico Valeta...2700 meter climb....and the biggest I know off is Haleakala in Hawaii.....thats giganto.....3050 meters...
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I think one of the biggest is in Colorad, Dennisn will be able to say how big.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    skinson wrote:
    Just done my biggest climb yet. 48k total ride, but the hard bit was a 150m climb over 1.5k I have to say it made me sweat a bit, My gearing is a 52 39, with a 12 27 rear. Guess which I was on :) I was out of the saddle as much as I was in it!! Made me feel really good when I got to the summit, and the 5k free ride down (60kph at times) was more than worth the effort. Anybody from the Bolton area will know it. I started in Leyland, through abbey village to Belmont then over to rivington. Next time I'm gonna try from the rivington side. Think it's a bit longer so should be a good test.
    Dave

Well done. I love the accomplishment of a tough new climb, so I'm sharing your smiles :)
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    telegraphe & galibier in 07 hopefully the tourmalet next week 8)
    cheesy quaver
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    My biggest so far is 5.2km at an average of 9 - 10%. I'm building up to the full monty:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/hk/new%2 ... 5469987039

Click on "show elevation" to see the full horror... :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    bompington wrote:

Done the Bealach myself, it is a beast!! Not great for a descent though as the roads are pretty rough and some steep drop off's do not give you confidence. I did it from Applecross side. My favourite wee road is the coast road north from Lochinver, absolutely fabulous scenery and 3 25% climbs with a few others just short of that. Might do it next spring on my Glasgow to Durness.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    pottssteve wrote:
    My biggest so far is 5.2km at an average of 9 - 10%. I'm building up to the full monty:

:lol:

You know when the elevation is dark purple then there is trouble ahead!
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Biggest day so far was last Monday - Argeles-Gazost to Luz-St-Saveur in 30C+ then up the Tourmalet then down to Ste Marie De Campan then up the Col D'Aspin - total climb about 2,600m (8,600ft) :shock:
    Did another big day on Thursday - Port De Bales & then the Portillon - 1,900m+ climbing.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    PedroJake wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

:lol:

You know when the elevation is dark purple then there is trouble ahead![/quote]

Yeah, it's the colour my face goes when I'm climbing it! :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I`ve done Belmont a few times, both ways, it is a good climb. I did my toughest climb today starting in Slaidburn and going through Gisburn forest and over Clapham Common. It`s over 20% in parts and the road is 1400ft high, I was wishing I had even lower gears than I have. A fine descent was slightly spoiled by a load of hunters with dogs standing in the road.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    bealach na ba i would guess

695 metres in under 6 miles
  • Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    On a 2-week tour this summer with the gf we rode through parts of Eastern Europe on MTBs with slicks.

Looking back at the Garmin the worst climb was 176m in 2.8km, although 187m in 4.4km at the end of the last day was also a bit of a brute.

I was glad to be on the MTB at the time, just for the 22x32 bottom gear! :D