Garmin edge 705

galaxyboy
galaxyboy Posts: 168
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
I would love one of these gadgets. Does anyone have one, please let me know what you think of it. Is it worth the money?

Comments

• Plenty on here have them.

I love my Edge 705, though some would say it's not perfect.

Worth the money? I think so.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • phearnde
    phearnde Posts: 73
    Great bit of kit

Worth the money - yes imho
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Don't regret buying mine, I did waste money buying the cadence kit later though (the novelty wore off after a couple of rides).
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Very happy with mine, didn't buy any maps, using OpenStreetMap which is working pretty well for me.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Yes, more I use it the more I like it. It's not just the mapping I find useful. Having eight data fields makes it great for TTs and whenever doing training with laps.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think the first question is "do I want one?". Second question is "can I afford it?"
    "Is it worth the money?" is way down the list and only you can answer that. :wink::wink:
  • Mon Ami
    Mon Ami Posts: 13
    Just returned from a 600k Paris - Bordeaux trip using a brand new 705 and heartily recommend it.

Good bike friendly route planning; pretty good listings of hotels as booked on the fly each evening; heart monitor useful; cadence not worth it. Took sometime getting used to the directions it gave, particularly in a big city where it uses inconsistent terms such as "Left on Rue..." followed by "West on Avenue....", How you're meant to know which is west...

Never quite got the trick of planning a route and transferring it to the 705 to use the following day but just remembered a list of towns and villages and allowed the 705 to plan the route as I set off.

It is a bit slow when it recalculates a route, so I limited the routing to stages of 50k or less.

Never put me on a motorway or similar, only twice took really stupid routes, easy to learn and use.

Nicest thing, on my return I uploaded the trips to the Garmin Connect web site and I can relive the trip, the speed, the pain...

Mon Ami
  • JackCB
    JackCB Posts: 92
    Why is the cadence not worth it? Do you just think it's information you don't need to know, or are there technical problems?
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Cadence IS worth it in my opinion. The sensor not only provides cadence info but it also becomes the primary source of speed and distance info, meaning you can confidently ride in areas where the satellite reception may be limited (lots of lanes and roads where I used to live with thick tree cover). In saying that, my cadence/speed sensor came with the kit anyway. Worth noting though that it mounts on the rear non-drive side stay and if you have ridged stays it'll take some unsightly gaffa tape in addition to some zip ties to mount it securely. If you are totally 100% not interested in knowing what cadence you pedal at, don't need to worry about tree cover then the 705 is all you need although the only criticism is the base mapping is utterly useless.

For me the best thing about it is the ability to plan new routes on something like bikehike or bikeroute toaster.com and download them straight to the device. It quite literally opens up a whole new cycling world and allows you to take your long rides to entirely new places.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    GavH wrote:
    It quite literally opens up a whole new cycling world and allows you to take your long rides to entirely new places.

+1 :D
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Shezzer wrote:
    GavH wrote:
    It quite literally opens up a whole new cycling world and allows you to take your long rides to entirely new places.

+1 :D

+2.

Went to Devon for two weeks - was luxury to not have to stop to check the map (although I did carry one in my pocket in case I needed to cut the ride short)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • JackCB
    JackCB Posts: 92
    Another question: I'm aware that the base mapping is supposed to be rubbish on the 705, but if I opt for the 'Road Performance Package' that comes with 'European Road mapping on MicroSD card' will that do the job? or will I still need better maps?
  • GavH
    That'll be absolutely fine.
  • Slow Downcp
    JackCB wrote:
    Another question: I'm aware that the base mapping is supposed to be rubbish on the 705, but if I opt for the 'Road Performance Package' that comes with 'European Road mapping on MicroSD card' will that do the job? or will I still need better maps?

That's the one my wife bought me :D Plan the route in mapmyride.com or similar, save route as a GXP file and copy into the Garmin. Despite me not being overly techy, it's straight forward - just don't think you can rely on the manual supplied.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Shezzer
    You'll be fine with that map and as Slow Down cp said it's a doddle to create and download routes (except they're GPX not GXP).

Give it a go and if you have any probs then just post back up on here ... be happy to help you out.
  • Slow Downcp
    Shezzer wrote:
    You'll be fine with that map and as Slow Down cp said it's a doddle to create and download routes (except they're GPX not GXP).

Give it a go and if you have any probs then just post back up on here ... be happy to help you out.

Told you I wasn't techy :oops:
  • Mon Ami
    Mon Ami Posts: 13
    JackCB wrote:
    Why is the cadence not worth it? Do you just think it's information you don't need to know, or are there technical problems?

Apologies if the rather terse phrase "cadence not worth it" was not more specific.

I had technical problems as the sensor mount slipped which meant I lost the speed and cadence info for a whole day of touring. I didn't know how to fix the sensor problem so went back to using the GPS speed. I never lost the satellite connection, even in deep, wooded valleys. The GPS is one of the most sensitive I have seen but that's no guarantee it won't happen. Doing without the cadence info for the rest of the trip proved no loss. As someone else said, "the novelty wore off". However, if you want to use it for static bike work, you'll need the cadence/speed sensor. I'd get the whole package.

The European Map package really suited me, as I was looking for minor roads in France between major destinations and it certainly found those. The Points of Interest data, such as landmarks and hotels was pretty reliable, only once did I turn up to find a hotel had closed.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this site but if you are thinking of getting a 705 visit http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/ which has become a sort of 705 knowledge centre. The truly inadequate feature of the 705 is the documentation, which is appalling.

And don't forget if you are justifying the cost, you can use it for driving and walking,

Overall, I think the 705 is excellent.

Mon Ami
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    Thanks guys, I have tried the frank kinlan web site and it seems to have way more advice than the garmin sites.

I'll have to start saving. :cry:
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    One thing that does bug me is the limit on characters when giving a route a name (unless I'm missing something), has anyone come up with a good naming convention? I generally have the route distance and name of the half way point as the name but I'm often left wondering which is which when dealing with similar routes
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Thought I would resurrect this thread for a map question.

Can you plug in any map on an SD card into a 705 to upgrade the base map it comes with?

I have a Michelin Europe map on an SD card for my car sat nav and it would be handy to use that rather than have to buy a second SD Europe map just for the Garmin.

Thanks
    Half man, Half bike
  • The BIG question for me is ... what is the shelf life of the 705?

I can see Santa bringing one and then an all new, singing & dancing verson comes along at the end of Jan with a resultant drop in price for current one or uber fancy additions to the next generation Garmin.

or is it just Me that this happens to all the the time ! :lol:
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • Had mine for just over a year and during that time I've never come across any hints of a replacement, although Garmin have increased their range with other products.

Garmin do release free firmware updates now & then. I've had 4 since purchase. Inevitably there will be a replacement but that goes for everything nowadays. Don't worry about what might be just over the horizon, just go for the 705 now. I'm sure you wont regret it.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • bol
    bol Posts: 138
    It's hard to think of anything more you could really need from a bike specific gps than the 605 offers. Yes, perhaps OS mapping, but you'd bees a bigger, heavier screen to get the best out of that, and there are other Garmins that offer it already if thats your thing. I bought mine on eBay over a year ago brand new for little over half price - there are deals out there if you're patient.
  • GavH
    bol wrote:
    It's hard to think of anything more you could really need from a bike specific gps than the 605 offers. Yes, perhaps OS mapping, but you'd bees a bigger, heavier screen to get the best out of that, and there are other Garmins that offer it already if thats your thing. I bought mine on eBay over a year ago brand new for little over half price - there are deals out there if you're patient.

+1. I too cannot think of anything that as a cycling computer the 705 would actually need right now adding to it. The firmware updates keep it as current as it needs to be.
  • Shezzer
    Maybe have one that takes batteries so you don't need to keep recharging? Would be very useful on long distance, multi-day epics such as Lands End to John O'Groats.

I agree though ... I can't think of any additional functionality that I'd find useful.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The 705 does not take an SD card, it is one o the Micro ones....

Maps can be downloaded via USB and include the Open Street Map and Open Cycle Map. Ordnance Survey will not work because they use a different data format for the tiles.

You would have to check the Michelin map for compatibility
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Cheers sir.

Might give the bundled map a miss and see how I get on with the Open maps, and at least try out my Michelin card first.

RR
    Half man, Half bike