Insurance

DSA244
DSA244 Posts: 66
edited August 2009 in MTB general
Can anyone recommend insurance for bikes. The house insurance wants an extra £40 per month and all the others have quoted similar. Others online have such ridiculous conditions that I must store the bike in the house.

Anyone know where to go for good insurance where mt bike is covered well locked in a shed?

My bike is £1500 so it is not automatically covered by the home insurance

Thanks

David

Comments

• An extra £40 PER MONTH!!! Where do you live? Afghanistan?

I hear M&S are rather good. I use a local company and the bike is added on sperately as an extra, valued at £1,600. My contents insurance INCLUDING the bike, comes to less than £20p.m
  • DSA244
    edited September 2020
    I tried M+S but they don't insure houses built prior to 1800.

I think Afghanistan would be cheaper, I live in a low crime area in sussex. This insurance is driving me mad

Thanks for suggestion
  • damo2576
    damo2576 Posts: 236
    If you secure your bike well and don't leave it outside shops or anywhere why not just stick £50 a month in a savings account and take your chances.
    Insurance is only really paying for other peoples bikes who don't take the precautions above.
  • 55NF
    55NF Posts: 111
    Every bicycle specific insurance claim I've heard of has NEVER paid out. Wrong lock, wrong place, not attached to roof rack correctly or securly.

WATCH the small print, bike insurance is a grey area IMO.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Just put £2.5k of bike onto my home insurance. Cost £40 for the year. Took the old one off which was £1500 Specialized...that was £10 per year.

It's with RIAS, covered at home and out of the home if locked

I'm in Sussex too...although my home isn't pre 1800!!
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    boyfriend claimed cost of bike wheels on the house insurance when he was hit by car. No quibble for them insurance other than he was required to take the bike and wheels to a bike shop and get a letter stating that they weren't repairable and the cost of replacements. I think it was M&S insurance.
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    I added mine to the house insurance. replace with new and only cost an extra £5 per month
    LOL road riding.
  • DSA244
    Cheers for help.

Churchill will insure the bike and old houses for anyone else struggling. They seem similar to M+S as don't want desription of bike etc if under £2000. They also stated bike can be left in shed and doesn't have to be locked, just out of public view