Aldi / Lidl bike sale

paulwakefield
paulwakefield Posts: 72
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hello, does anyone have any idea when the Aldi or Lidl winter bike sale is likely to start, as I've heard a few bargains can be had and I can't wait to check it out for myself.

Thanks.
That's my 2 cents,

Paul
Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
twitter

Comments

• Biscuiteer
    Biscuiteer Posts: 143
    Aldi and Lidl don't tend to announce their special offers more than a few weeks before they start. Just sign up to their email newsletters so that you don't miss out.
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    September ish iirc
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    Will keep a lookout, as I will have to see what I can find. How do you guys find the winter clothing and gear? Does it protect you enough, or is it better to go for more expensive stuff?

I bought a few things from there: gloves, shoes, saddle case, cycling computer. Sadly the cycling computer was no good as the thread on the sensor wasn't tight enough, and they didn't have any left when I went to try and exchange them. I quite like the shoes too nice fit and comfortable attractive shoes, although I did get stuck in them on my second ride. I couldn't twist out and I ended up ripping the thread out, they are partially fixed, but quite awkward. Most likely my clumsiness than anything to do with the shoes, but I was bricking it when I came up to a busy roundabout and couldn't twist out what ever I did! Luckily because of the price, I didn't end up beginning and ruining a more expensive type of shoe :D
  • TBH I think most of the Aldi/Lidl stuff is actually sh!t. Buy cheap buy twice.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    TBH I think most of the Aldi/Lidl stuff is actually sh!t. Buy cheap buy twice.

agreed!

Except perhaps the socks
  • Cooked meats are good there though.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I like their baked beans!
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    I've found Aldi stuff loads better.

The winter gloves from last year were superb, warm and waterproof (pity I lost one!).

The shorts all have decent padding, the tights are also good, great for when it's cold and raining.

The Lidl shorts had pretty crap padding.

Don't bother with the waterproof Jacket's unless you don't mind sweating (worth spending a bit more).

Also, the shoes I had from Lidl split in two after 1 year.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I still wouldn't get a bike from them if your in any way serious about cycling. I mean they are fantastic for refunding stuff, but expanding on what oscar said, I bought a £140 stationary bike from them which packed in after two months. I wasnt mad but did start to realise if you want quality and are buying something as expensive as a bike then you may aswell do it properly from a good dealer.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Socks are great, everything else is, well let's say not as good as the socks.
  • I've just signed upto the email newsletter, so should know in advance. I'm a stickler for a bargain though, looking at some of last years prices even if it only lasts a few months, thats good going... especially to someone new to this like me. oh and especially if the wife hold the purse strings... getting the bike authorised is hard enough, let alone all the additional extra's that I havn't told her about.....yet !! :wink:
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The Aldi winter longs are great - I've bought a pair every year for the last 4 years - and actually still have 3 of them (and I wear them 5 days a week).

The gloves are okay, jacket decent for the price. The jerseys weren't great last year - but my one from the year before is still going strong. Wish I'd bought more. The overshoes are also great value.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Aldi/Lidl nothing like that around these parts. In my town they even took Morrisons out and replaced it with a Waitrose. :roll:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Aldi are OK for the occasional cyclist, but some bits are not bad. I find their gloves pretty good; their winter ones are good enough and their summer mitts fine. But I possibly wouldn't buy much else.

I buy their sunnies as they are cheap enough so if they break/get lost you have only lost £2.99.
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    +1 on the sunnies with the interchangeable lenses

I have the rain jacket which keeps the water out but makes you produce it inside like a tropical rain forest.

Incidentally they have some nice chilli chocolate at the moment
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    Jackets are crap - I got mine from Decathlon £20, Lidl Longs did me through all last winter, Also for the V cold Thermals from Aldi do the trick too. Top wise I just wore a long sleeved top from Lidls (I warm up quick due to a hill after oo 1 minute riding ! Socks also fine, Gloves also kept my fingers toastie warm.

So for about £70 I got through last winters commutes. Will pick up another pair of longs for this winter. Infact the only thing I didn't get from there was the buff.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • timuk
    timuk Posts: 3
    Ive tried quite a few items of clothing from Aldi. After years of wasting money on supposedly warm/waterproof gloves I was amazed to find Aldi's winter gloves for just a fiver out perform anything else Ive tried. I commute all year round and can honestly say they are the only gloves i have used that have enabled me to cycle a full winter without experiencing numb hands!!

Also found Aldi winter trousers to be fine, but waterproof jacket was useless!! Totally unbreathable and nothing more than showerproof!!!
  • dsmiff
    timuk wrote:
    After years of wasting money on supposedly warm/waterproof gloves I was amazed to find Aldi's winter gloves for just a fiver out perform anything else Ive tried. I commute all year round and can honestly say they are the only gloves i have used that have enabled me to cycle a full winter without experiencing numb hands!!

100% agree, the winter gloves were fantastic kept my hands dry as well and also used in preference to an expensive pair of waterproof MTB gloves I've got. Used all winter on both my communte and up at Llandegla in rain, sleet and snow.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

+1

Its a false economy.
  • dsmiff
    edited August 2009
    dmclite wrote:

+1

Its a false economy.

Totally agree it's all crap, don't buy it. :D means it won't run out so quick next time and I might be able to get what I want.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Too true! If you do go there and start browsing just move out of the way if a fat, old bloke turns up and wants to look.

The stuff is a mixture, excercise your wisdom and discretion, bargains can be had. :D
    The older I get the faster I was