short or medium rear derailleur

ianjaytee
ianjaytee Posts: 46
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Gear change is not very quick or positive on my centaur group set with 13-29 rear cassette. I have the medium rear derailleur will it improve if I change to the short one.

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It will depend on what chainrings you have up front to be able to say whether a short cage derallieur is feasible in the first place. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I thought the medium was recommended for the 13-29 by Campagnolo themselves? At least that was the info I had for my bike build which included Centaur 13-29 at the back and 34/50 at the front. My changes aren't a problem with the medium mech I have although I don't go into the 29 sprocket very often and am usually down to about 7mph and panting hard when I do.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    If you're running 34-50 on the front you have 32 teeth difference and should have a medium whereas with 39-53 it's only 30 difference and you should get away with a short, if I remember rightly.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Either will work, but first off I'd look at gear adjustment and frame rear mech hanger alignment - it's surprising how many frames aren't quite straight. The mech might be bent / twisted also.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..