First trip across the pond...

critical mass
critical mass Posts: 3
edited August 2009 in MTB general
Hello all,

This friday I will be leaving from the US for my first trip to London. I will be with my wife and her family so unfortunately I don't think that I will be able to get any riding in (busy doing the normal touristy things during our limited time).

What I am looking for is some local advice on cool bike shops I can hit while seeing the sights. Specifically shops well outfitted with mountain biking related bling and won't look down to much on another stupid American tourist roaming their city.

Also if any of you care to sound off on what beers I need to try while I am over there that will help make my life complete, I wouldn't mind that either.

Thanks in advance for all the help. Happy Trails!
"Oh.....why do I have 3 kids and no money?"
"Why can't I have no kids and 3 money?" -- Homer Simpson

Comments

• Bit of london pride is a must, as well as some of the harveys of lewes beers, sussex best is cracking ! - er thats exhausted my knowledge of southern ales im afraid, oop north however thats a different story........... :lol:
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    edited August 2009
    Quite a few decent bike shops dotted around the capital. Main ones being Evans Cycles and CycleSurgery.

This link shows you the exact locations of the many EvansCycles London stores
    http://www.evanscycles.com/stores

And this link has the exact locations of all the CycleSurgery stores in London
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/article/67/Stores.html

Hope this helps :D
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Timothy Taylor (or is it Tailor) Landlord is a good pint. Just go for cask ale and try stuff you've never heard of - it's the best way.

The night walks in London are quite a good laugh I think - Jack the Ripper, Ghost walks etc. Google original London walks. A bit touristy I know, but i really enjoyed the Jack the ripper one - the guides are excellent. On the ripper walk they take you away from the main tourist traps and into whitechapel - very amtospheric & suprisingly quiet at night.

You should try one of the national museums - The British Museum is amazing.

I also think that Greenwich is worth a visit- there's a good pub there right on the Thames...the Admirality, Nelson, Trafalgar or a similar name. I like the observatory there.

Brighton (seaside resort) is a good day out or weekend away too.

The Duxford war museum near Cambridge is interesting - a lot of connections with the US from the second world war. Cambridge itself is very touristy but a beautiful city if you have time.

I wouldn't worry about been a 'tourist'. I always think half the people in London don't look like locals.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    First of all Welcome to the UK - hope you have a great time.

Not the best - but have a look in Harrods - lots of flash bikes for people who shop there!

The other thing you will notice that the current 'in' bike for london is a 'fixie' track or road bike !
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Cps wrote:
    The other thing you will notice that the current 'in' bike for london is a 'fixie' track or road bike !

So they will have you believe, but if you actually go to london, you will hardly see any.

Was in london the other day, and just expected to see loads. Didnt see one. Far too many rear mechs.
  • Thank you all for your advice!

I am really looking forward to my trip this weekend.
    "Oh.....why do I have 3 kids and no money?"
    "Why can't I have no kids and 3 money?" -- Homer Simpson
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    If you have a trip up north, try Black sheep or any Theakstons.
    I particularly enjoy Old Speckled Hen :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    RealMan wrote:
    Cps wrote:

So they will have you believe, but if you actually go to london, you will hardly see any.

Was in london the other day, and just expected to see loads. Didnt see one. Far too many rear mechs.

get to bristol they're bloody everywhere!!!!! :?
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    Hello all,

This friday I will be leaving from the US for my first trip to London. I will be with my wife and her family so unfortunately I don't think that I will be able to get any riding in (busy doing the normal touristy things during our limited time).

What I am looking for is some local advice on cool bike shops I can hit while seeing the sights. Specifically shops well outfitted with mountain biking related bling and won't look down to much on another stupid American tourist roaming their city.

Also if any of you care to sound off on what beers I need to try while I am over there that will help make my life complete, I wouldn't mind that either.

Thanks in advance for all the help. Happy Trails!

Firstly welcome to the Forum!

The Evans Cycle store in Spitalfields is I believe Londons biggest bike showroom:

http://www.evanscycles.com/stores/Spitalfields

They have 'city' folks in there all week so I see know reason whythey wouldn't be happy to accommodate a friendly American tourist. Also 50m along the road is a good sized CycleSurgery.

Spitalfield's also is a good tourist venue as the market will no doubt appeal to the wife...

Enjoy your trip and whatever beer you end up drinking :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There is no good beer brewed in the south of england.

You will be massively over charged in london and you will be served a very inferior pint.
    This is a london wide phenomenon!

I suggest you refrain from drinking in london until you are fortunate enough to visit Yorkshire where real beer is brewed and served in perfect condition.

The only quality that beer in london or the whole of the south of england has is that it is wet. You would be more refreshed however, if you ate the glass instead!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    We do good tea too :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the coffee is fair as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    jstock wrote:
    There is no good beer brewed in the south of england.

You will be massively over charged in london and you will be served a very inferior pint.
    This is a london wide phenomenon!

I suggest you refrain from drinking in london until you are fortunate enough to visit Yorkshire where real beer is brewed and served in perfect condition.

The only quality that beer in london or the whole of the south of england has is that it is wet. You would be more refreshed however, if you ate the glass instead!!

Not another professional Yorkshireman! As a Northerner (the good kind from Lancashire)I have to disagree, in recent years southern beer has improved fast. They have their fair share of mircro brewerys & pubs that CAMRA would approve of. Country pubs down south have some of the finest ales going. If you go the 'proper beer' section of Tesco, lots of those bottles have southern post codes. London like any big city, including Manchester, is a bit different but even the capital is improving on this front. If I'm honest i think that the North is fast loosong its monoply on good beer, if it hasn't done so already.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.