Silly question about shorts

badboybennyg
badboybennyg Posts: 48
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All

Brought some Trek Criterium Bib Short from All Terrian Cycles last week (19.99 bargain I thought).

When they arrived at the weekend, they were pretty darn comfy etc except that where they came just above my knees the. end of the shorts were loose against my legs, a bit flappy. E.g. there was a couple of cms gap and the leg grippers had nothing to grip lol.

Is it that my legs are to skinny around the knee or have I brought a size to big. I brought a XL cos I am 34-36 waist.

Would the cycling bulk up my knee area muscles are and fill the shorts out a bit?

Cheers

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    if the hem stops just above the knee - and is not a close fit around your leg, then the shorts are too big...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Short sizes can be a nightmare ! Sounds to me like you have bought a couple of sizes too big ?
  • 34-36 inch waist XL?!!

Sounds more like you're a medium
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Mine are 34" and a large? Seems they put whatever size takes their fancy on gear!!
    Dave
  • Thanks guys.

Sizing in general is a nightmare. Especially over the net with all the different brands. I guess it can be a false economy finding a bargain, only to send back due to sizing etc.

Seems like I will be wearing an XXL jersey with medium shorts. There's no way I am that out of proportion!! Crazy.

At least socks seeem to fit!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Sizing in general is a nightmare.

The guys at Prendas say that the most important measurement for bibshorts is not your waist, but your height.

Bibshorts are at their stretchiest through the waist and will accomodate a wide variety of waist sizes. The biggest difference between sizes is the length of the leg.

I am 5'9" with 33" waist and take a size L (4) in Santini, Vermarc etc. I can also wear a M (3) or XL (5) and be comfortable at the waist, but the Meds are too short and the XLs are too long.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    34-36 inch waist XL?!!

I'm a 33 inch waist XL is Assos M in DHB XXL in Orbea.

Cycling clothing is a nightmare to by, I dispair I really do :oops:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    I suggest you try some Santini bibshorts from Prendas Ciclismo - http://www.prendas.co.uk/default.asp
    As they're an Italian make, they are more suited to the slimmer figure & Mick & Andy there will give you any assistance you need. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    34-36 inch waist XL?!!

I am a 36" waist and have bibshorts from 6 manfacturers.

They are all XL and all fit with not a hint of flappy legs.
    Some grippers even leave marks but then my legs are huge :wink: That is 100% joke!

If your legs are loose then there is something wrong with the shorts sizing.
    Or you need to man up yuor legs :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Picked up some Altura shorts from Evans yesterday as an alternative to the flappy Trek bibs. Oh man they are tight, slice me in half and leave me with a right 'muffin top' lol.

Bib shorts are a 1000 time better IMO and I am going up to Phil Corley cycles at lunchtime and trying on 100 pairs if neccesary to get the right fit.

But yes Daviesee I probably need to man up my chicken legs a bit!!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have all XL shorts to and a couple have longer legs than the rest and unless I pull them up and have creases at the thigh would flap about a bit.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    ... end of the shorts were loose against my legs, a bit flappy. E.g. there was a couple of cms gap and the leg grippers had nothing to grip lol.

tell people they are baggy mtb bibshorts. :wink:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...there was a couple of cms gap and the leg grippers had nothing to grip lol.

Lycra "flares" are never a good look. :wink:
    Cycling weakly