Should FOX make some budget forks and shox?

jay12
jay12 Posts: 6,306
edited August 2009 in MTB general
please answer this.

I personnaly think they should make some budget forks and shox because then their products will be available to a much bigger range of customers.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    No, why should they water down their premium brand

Would Ferrari* water down their cars to make them affordable to the masses, no they wouldn't

*or any other premium brand
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    of course they should make some budget forks, most other companies do and i think it is a good thing that people on a budget or just starting in the sport who dont want to spend stupid money can still get quality stuff
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i think it would be nice for everyone to have fox forks but then they just wouldnt be special if everyone had them
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You can get quality stuff from other manufacturers, eg Rockshox, Marzochhi... without breaking the bank

If a premium brand waters down their products will it be as good?

Premium brands give people something to aspire to.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Aren't X Fusion shocks made by ex Fox employees?

If I'm right then there's your cheap 'Fox' shox.

Sorted.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jay12
    do you want a Manitou fork?

do you want an RST fork?

they both make high end forks as good as Fox and any other brand but they also make cheap shit.

so if you want a Fox get saving.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • marinman1
    i dont think they would be watering down their range, merely adding to it. the top forks would still be there i can't really see a problem. ferrari would not make a cheap car because they are elitist and i guess a lot of their customers are also. mountain biking already suffers from this and people who argue that only expensive stuff is worth buying or making do not help this.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    don't you think it would be better for their company if they did?

you would get newbie rider's buying bikes for say £500. When the time comes that they feel they want to upgrade to a better bike, if the forks have served them well they would probably buy higher spec fox forks.

it's a bit like honda, loads of people learn on a honda 125cc, don't you think honda make these bikes in the hope that as people get older/more experianced they will stay with the brand and buy other more expensive models in the future eg fireblade 8)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Fox products, as well as being some of the best you can get, are also 'aspirational' products, people desire them as much as need them.
    This allows Fox to maintain high prices, maximising their profit.
    Making budget forks may well get more Fox products out there, but they may have to sell 150 pairs of budget forks to make the same profit as 10 pairs of Talas 36's.

They won't cheapen a brand held in such high regard.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    In my opinion no. They are a premium brand, and budget forks that will not perfom as good will tarnish that.
  • Spot on 'Sonic.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • marinman1
    although they are a product people aspire to own, in reality a lot of poeple cannot afford them, end of. so they are really blocking out a big market.
  • Just wanna ask... why are fox a "premium brand"?

Personally I don't like their forks!
  • Siix
    Siix Posts: 16
    Although I just voted 'Yes', I think I might have to change my mind! I agree with whoever it was that compared Fox to Ferrari. I'm rather into Porsches myself (not that I could ever in my life afford one) and I think that if they started making cheap and cheerful hatchbacks I'd be a bit disappointed. A supercar is something you can aspire to, and I guess Fox forks are the same. I think they'd lose their appeal if they started making budget forks. And as somebody else has also said, if you want good quality budget forks then there are plenty around, just not made by Fox.

Why don't you like Fox forks, bigbenj? I've never actually ridden a bike with Fox forks myself, my opinion on them is purely based on what I've heard and seen.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Just wanna ask... why are fox a "premium brand"?

Personally I don't like their forks!

wish i could afford some so i could find out :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • supersonic
    As nick points out, it would be the 'opposite RST' effect. RST make some great forks, but their reputation is for cheap tat.
  • They're over priced! I don't see what they offer over other forks.... surely they only do the same thing!

thats why i dont get the "premium fork" tag... arent they just expensive forks that do the same thing as any other? or am I missing something?
  • marinman1 wrote:
    although they are a product people aspire to own, in reality a lot of poeple cannot afford them, end of. so they are really blocking out a big market.

They don't need to dominate the market, although you could argue that they already do.
    As I said, high cost + reputation and image = continued demand and high profit.

Marinman, I work for a hifi company not a million miles from you and we make a pair of speakers that cost £26,000, and believe me, there's no shortage of demand.
    Quality has it's price.
  • supersonic
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    They're over priced! I don't see what they offer over other forks.... surely they only do the same thing!

thats why i dont get the "premium fork" tag... arent they just expensive forks that do the same thing as any other? or am I missing something?

Well, yes, I agree. But their brand position is for those who like to pay more...
  • jay12
    supersonic wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    They're over priced! I don't see what they offer over other forks.... surely they only do the same thing!

Well, yes, I agree. But their brand position is for those who like to pay more...
    all your saying here is true and has it's point but then it's sort of unfair for the people with less money who want some fox products but can't afford them.
  • supersonic
    That is the whole point of them though...
  • supersonic wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

lol... they don't even look that good!

Sometimes i'd be willing to pay a bit more for style over substance, but fox forks don't look great imo.
  • jay12 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

all your saying here is true and has it's point but then it's sort of unfair for the people with less money who want some fox products but can't afford them.

So you reckon Ferrari should make a nippy wee city car then?
  • jay12
    fox are basically like chris king. yes thay are amzing and last you for ages but then ALL their products are very expensive. same situation with assos really.
  • jay12
    jay12 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

So you reckon Ferrari should make a nippy wee city car then?
    that would be pretty cool :D
  • Yeah, but it would break down a lot and you wouldn't get a bike on the roof.
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    i wud buy a pair of sutour xcm's 100quid over their sell price purely if they looked like foxs
  • jay12 wrote:
    fox are basically like chris king. yes thay are amzing and last you for ages but then ALL their products are very expensive. same situation with assos really.
    lol i wouldnt but ck either!!

According to a team mechanic at a LBS, he's serviced more ck headsets and BB than any of the ceramic hope ones!
  • jay12
    Yeah, but it would break down a lot and you wouldn't get a bike on the roof.
    with ferrari quality thay wouldn't. it's the same thing i'm trying to say with fox. make some forks that are made of cheaper and heavier materials but still have the FOX quality. i would buy them even if they were more than the equvilant RS but you know you get quality, looks and for example damping and seals would be better than other forks
  • jay12 wrote:
    Yeah, but it would break down a lot and you wouldn't get a bike on the roof.
    with ferrari quality thay wouldn't. it's the same thing i'm trying to say with fox. make some forks that are made of cheaper and heavier materials but still have the FOX quality. i would buy them even if they were more than the equvilant RS but you know you get quality, looks and for example damping and seals would be better than other forks

You don't have to convince me, I just spent a small fortune on RockShox Lyriks.
    If you want good kit applicable to the sort of riding you do then you have to pay for it.