Silly Weight Loss Thread - The 10 week challenge.

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Just had a yorkie, I've not started well...
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I'm in - will post my weight to the nearest 100kg tomorrow morning...
  • Right chaps, here's how it rolls:

I've figured out that a bottle of wine is between 600-1000 calories per bottle (depending on the wine), so in order to maintain my bottle a day habit whilst still ensuring weight loss I have decided the only sensible course is to eliminate breakfast and snacks.

Also, lunch is to be strictly vegitarian and minimal on the white carbs (whole grains only).

This is the SILLY weight loss thread after all....

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to stop myself gorging once the wine has been consumed.... any ideas?
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Hmm, go on then, I'll get in on this too.

Current - 73kg, 21% body fat (according to my scales, which I'm hoping are overestimating that somewhat!)

Target - 68kg, <15% body fat (which I'm guessing will mean it's actually closer to <10%)

So, we updating each other once a week?
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • I'm game for this - 73 kilos and 5' 8 1/2" (shouldn't heights be included for effect and so we know who have the ,erm, "biggest bones"?) . Be nice to get down to 68 kgs or so. 4 week target
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Ha! That's exactly the same height as me...
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • dean85
    dean85 Posts: 87
    Right chaps, here's how it rolls:

I've figured out that a bottle of wine is between 600-1000 calories per bottle (depending on the wine), so in order to maintain my bottle a day habit whilst still ensuring weight loss I have decided the only sensible course is to eliminate breakfast and snacks.

Also, lunch is to be strictly vegitarian and minimal on the white carbs (whole grains only).

This is the SILLY weight loss thread after all....

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to stop myself gorging once the wine has been consumed.... any ideas?

Are you kidding me you do a bottle of wine a day??,

Breakfast is what starts off your metabolisim which starts off your hunger start in the morning, and makes you last longer before luch time,

My typical day is

Breakfast 6.30am
    9mile ride to work (off-road)
    lunch time, Noon-ish, light snack
    9 mile ride home, sometimes a loop (off-road)
    evening meal i.e Lasagne 6.15pm

No snacking after wards, certainly nothing after 8pm as it lye's on the stomach.

i still have a drink once a week,

train for 8 hours a week, as well as riding

i've stayed around 12st 4lbs for about 3 years, an im 5' 11" im no gym junkie or athlete,

my partner is pregnant she cant wait to get back training
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    OK Fat Fighters - 14 in so far. I've listed your goals in imperial/metric as you prefer, feel free to correct any errors or omissions.

Any one else feel free to join in. Can we agree to copy the list forward in each update to keep it up to date.

Also if any one can tidy this list up using [/code ] I'd be grateful

.......................................Start...........Target.........Loss.....LTD...
    WheezyMcChubby........12st9lb.......11st13lb.......10lb.......0
    Rich158..........................11st0lb.......10st5lb.........9lb.........0
    GregT.............................13st3lb........12st3lb........14lb.......0
    Clever Pun........................?.....................?................?..........?
    Shoulder of Lamb............83.5kg.........77.5kg.........6kg.......0
    Mr Sworld........................98kg.............75kg..........23kg......0
    The Stone.......................100kg(e).......90kg...........10kg......0
    Stuey01............................94kg.............85kg...........9kg.......0
    -Spider-............................74kg.............68kg............6kg......0
    T G on a Brompton............94.5kg.........89.5kg..........5kg.....0
    Biondino..............................?..................?.................?........?
    Andrew Wood.....................?..................?.................?........?
    Aidan R................................73kg............68kg...........5kg......0
    Oscar Budgie.......................73kg............68kg...........5kg.....0

I propose a Friday weekly weigh in, mockery to follow.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    I would like to join it if it’s not too late.

A bit about me then: well I am 47 years old, 1.65m tall (not that I would call that tall!) and….wait for it…274.4lb…yes, 19 stone 8.4. While that’s rather a lot, it is 24.4lb down from the weight I started at some 10 weeks ago.

Currently I ride about 3 times a week; with the longest ride I have done recently being 30.1 miles from Birmingham to Stafford and 29.2 miles last Saturday. The last ride was done at, for me, an impressive average of 11.7mph. Oh, it also included the climb of a 4%, 103 foot hill. Again, I know that’s not that much of a hill, but 10 weeks ago I wouldn’t have even tried it! I have also brought a set of rollers which I actually quite like using! I work at home so do not get the chance to add additional miles commuting worse luck.

My cycling history goes back to the early 1980’s when I used to cycle to work the City of London and ended a few years later when I moved to the Midlands and got married. I took up riding again in 2001 but that was cut short by a car accident which resulted in a badly torn left calf muscle badly: I could not walk for 6 weeks and cycle for 4 years. I still have the odd problem with this leg. I don’t suppose it will ever be “right” again. (I know, its my left leg).

My target for this next 10 weeks is 21lb. I should be getting my new bike: A Specialized Sectour Sports around the same time to replace my BSO. Looking forward to that (although the BSO: £115 from ebay, has done me well over the last year).
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Many many moons ago I was a member of a small local gym. My girlfriend at the time entered me into a weight loss programme (as she didn't want to do it on her own), where we took part in a 12 week challenge against other gym members!

They even made a promotional video filming us every few weeks. I think I lost about a stone, but come the final cut (the before and after shots etc) we didn't make it, as some other more determined folk lost more sticking to a cabbage soup diet, and going to the gym every day. I've been mentally scared ever since!!

Time to turn back the clock. I'm definately in! Bring it on.

Honestly - I'm 14.5 (I know I look bigger as only 5' 8'' tall). Target weight loss = a stone. I promise to cut down to a pizza a day, and get out on the bike more. Just what the Dr ordered before xmas! Not. :)

Finally WMC: Any rules? Any prizes? Any fees? Any weekly meetings at the local village hall? Any info packs? No? :cry: Promotional videos and am out! :oops:
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Well I walked like a SOB at work today. Took two teams of fire crews around the Centre pointing out possible hazards ie chemicals and gas bottles. So I did over 16000 steps today! So off to a good start!

Anyway, I'm not going to loose 25kg in 10 weeks (that would probably be dangerous!) but I'll loose enough! I need sensible weight loss anyway, this is also about changing my eating habits and. to a certain extent, my life. If I loose it over 6 months I'll be happy.

I'm working for electoral services as well over the coming weeks so that'll boost the weekly steps total. My cycle 'commute' is only about 15 minutes so I'll need to look at doing a longer route somehow.

Mike
  • gazza_d1
    gazza_d1 Posts: 53
    I'm in...

currently 15 stone 9. About 5ft 7, so a bit of a total lardarse. I'll go for the 10 pound special thanks.

Been doing bits here and there on the bike for the last year, but not really motivated, but now. My mate at Work has just bought a Scott C30 on the cycle scheme, and we have agreed to complete 4 challenge rides in Darlington next year, the longest being a hilly 100, so I need to get serious again. Used to be really serious, and could easily knock out a hard century without blinking.

Last week I managed 80 miles in the week, as I was working from home, and going out every morning for an hour before breakfast. evenings are just impossible for me, especially now with the darkness approaching, so the turbo will be getting dusted off.

I also put my rides on Nokia sports tracker (gazza_d) if anyone else is there and interested.

Gaz
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Tuesday Lunch time.

Been " on message" since Sunday night.

Starving.

Still only another 68 days to go.............

So I get a soup from Waitrose and warm it up in the canteens microwaves. I have to run the gauntlet of the hot food bar to get to them....

It amazes me how much some of these guys eat for lunch. There was one guy who had got a complete 12" Pizza. - He'd ordered extra topping - any guesses on what it was?

Chips.

Yep - he'd got a pizza then went over to the chip counter and had a shovel full loaded on top.

If I did that I'd be sphereical in minutes.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Wheezy, I need to adjust my start weight, I was 92.5kg this morning on the scales (or shall I claim it as a 1.5kg loss already :D )

Cheers
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I'm starving too and likewise going for the soup option for lunch. I found a product today called Finn Crisp - quite nice if you like eating wood. I've eaten over half the pack in the past 20mins...
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Count me in as well please
    Start weight 88.5 Kg
    Age 47
    Height 5ft 10 (1.78m)

aso added zedders , essexian & gazza_d1 to list

Normal Mileage about 80/week

Just come back from holiday - so that's17 days off the bike & 17 days of overindulgence to make up for.

Mike
    .......................................Start...........Target.........Loss.....LTD...
    Mlyons.......................13st13lb.........13st5lb.........8lb.......0
    gazza_d1......................15st9lb..........14st13lb.......10lb......0
    essexian.......................19st8lb............18st1lb........21lb......0
    zedders.........................14st5lb...........13st5lb........14lb.......0

WheezyMcChubby........12st9lb.......11st13lb.......10lb.......0
    Rich158..........................11st0lb.......10st5lb.........9lb.........0
    GregT.............................13st3lb........12st3lb........14lb.......0
    Clever Pun........................?.....................?................?..........?
    Shoulder of Lamb............83.5kg.........77.5kg.........6kg.......0
    Mr Sworld........................98kg.............75kg..........23kg......0
    The Stone.......................100kg(e).......90kg...........10kg......0
    Stuey01............................94kg.............85kg...........9kg.......0
    -Spider-............................74kg.............68kg............6kg......0
    T G on a Brompton............94.5kg.........89.5kg..........5kg.....0
    Biondino..............................?..................?.................?........?
    Andrew Wood.....................?..................?.................?........?
    Aidan R................................73kg............68kg...........5kg......0
    Oscar Budgie.......................73kg............68kg...........5kg.....0
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Count me in, just updating the table...

...I started at 13st and-a-bit a couple of years ago, lost 2 stone OK with medical help (I have the type of PCOS that favours the chub) and a dancing obsession - but am failing to shift the third, so I keep bouncing around 10st7lbs.

Ditched the meds a while back as my level of activity is generally higher, but now it just means I have a harder fight on my hands..
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    ___________________Start______Target______To Lose______LTD
    Mlyons............13st13lb....13st5lb.......8lb.........0
    gazza_d1..........15st9lb.....14st13lb......10lb........0
    essexian..........19st8lb.....18st1lb.......21lb........0
    zedders...........14st5lb.....13st5lb.......14lb........0
    WheezyMcChubby....12st9lb.....11st13lb......10lb........0
    Rich158...........11st0lb.....10st5lb.......9lb.........0
    GregT.............13st3lb.....12st3lb.......14lb........0
    sarajoy...........10st10lb....10st0lb.......10lb........0
    Clever Pun........?...........?.............?...........?
    Shoulder of Lamb..83.5kg......77.5kg........6kg.........0
    Mr Sworld.........98kg........75kg..........23kg........0
    The Stone.........100kg(e)....90kg..........10kg........0
    Stuey01...........94kg........85kg..........9kg.........0
    -Spider-..........74kg........68kg..........6kg.........0
    T G on a Brompton.94.5kg......89.5kg........5kg.........0
    Biondino..........?...........?.............?...........?
    Andrew Wood.......?...........?.............?...........?
    Aidan R...........73kg........68kg..........5kg.........0
    Oscar Budgie......73kg........68kg..........5kg.........0

4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    I would be so in on this, if I wasn't going to the USA for 3 weeks next month! Still, I can try to lose some before then. God knows I need too!

My daily 15 minute commute to work just isn't enough. I'm considering simulating a single speed for a while to see how I get on...
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Put me in.
    Started last Friday with some of the other project management team. We used the scales in our dispatch department (0.5kg steps) and I was 88.5 which is good as I am down from over 91kg already since October, but I want to be sub 84kg. I am 168cm. So it's all on my gut. Last night did not go well as I had a pizza from dominoes delivered (the shame).
    Really want to do my own version of a wiggins to fly up hills.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

and there was I thinking only wimmin got into dieting. I'm impressed guys (and SJ).

I'll quite happily taken on your (now) unwanted pizzas and beer as I'm in training for a marathon in October and keeping weight on is a problem.

Salad for dinner anyone :twisted: :twisted:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    bugger blown it today :roll: :roll: Lunchbox full or pasta as a late morning snack, and cous cous with mozzarella and sundried tomato's for mid afternoon snacking. Just checked the packets and I've eaten a double portion of both, about 850 calories worth :shock:

There's still a BBQ and a bottle of wine to come, I guess I'll just have to force it all down :lol::lol::lol:

In my defence I did ride 21 miles this morning and I'm racing tonight :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • My weight loss is more a 5-year program, when it comes off slowly I find it stays off. I also find I am losing size at the moment but not weight. Interesting. You should all measure yourselves now and fortnightly through the challenge - it's interesting! Chest, waist, hips, thighs, etc...

Anyhow, I thought I'd tell you what I'm having for lunch...

3 tomatoes from Lidl (they do really good vine tomatoes for 50p a kilo - they even smell like tomatoes!), tbsp of tomato puree, some water, handful of basil from my basil plant in the garden, half a red onion, cook into a sauce and add to pasta.

It's lovely. :D
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Cafewanda wrote:
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

and there was I thinking only wimmin got into dieting. I'm impressed guys (and SJ).

I'll quite happily taken on your (now) unwanted pizzas and beer as I'm in training for a marathon in October and keeping weight on is a problem.

Salad for dinner anyone :twisted: :twisted:

Me and some of the engineers are doing the Marines Commando Challenge 10K in October should be good.

Plus the Friday weigh ins will hopefully keep me on track.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Right. I'm in (have been for two days - starving already and my office companion is NOT helping by eating bumper pack of pretzels in front of me).

Start weight: 10st 9 (I'm 5ft 8inch) :
    Target weight 9st 13

Clever Pun........?...........?.............?...........?
    Londonlivvy.... 10st9lb.... 9st 13lb.... 10lb.
  • Greg T
    symo wrote:
    Me and some of the engineers are doing the Marines Commando Challenge 10K in October should be good.

I hope in deference to the proud traditions of the Royals you will be dressed like a Lady or naked?

Mr Sworld is targetting a mahoosive >20Kg weight loss.

That's 2 Kg a week, over 4lbs - I think that's going to be a bit on the difficult side.

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Added my stats today

Clever Pun........101kg...........98kg.............7kg...........0
    Londonlivvy.... 10st9lb.... 9st 13lb.... 10lb.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Added my stats today

Maths Biff!

Ran out of fingers Bigum?

• zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Greg T wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Added my stats today

Maths Biff!

Ran out of fingers Bigum?

"Clever Pun" or should that be "Pun"
    Just getting ready for a 25 miler. That will be a good start! Hope I can keep it up.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Greg T wrote:
    Mr Sworld is targetting a mahoosive >20Kg weight loss.

That's 2 Kg a week, over 4lbs - I think that's going to be a bit on the difficult side.

Oh, I know it's a lot (see my previous post) but Id like to see how much I can loose in 10 weeks. The 25kg is targeted for over 6 months and includes 'lifesyle' changes as well!