Fixies

BlackSpur
BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
edited August 2009 in MTB general
Had a quick go on one of these at work a couple of hours ago

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/subrosa/malum-2009-single-speed-road-bike-ec018393

Fixed gear, skinny bars and no brakes. Only went about 15m up and down outside the shop but even so i still had a couple of "oh $hit!" moments. Very very tricky to do and I have massive respect to anyone who can ride one of these properly on the roads, let alone the mental cases who ride around London on one!
"Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs

Comments

• raleigh sell a wheel for £60 including the cog, i just bought a cheap racer and put that on and its great fun! takes a while to get used to it but after a few goes you get the hang of it. Although i am thinking of putting a brake on it
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Demon Spawn!

The two greatest inventions for the bike were freewheels and gears ;-)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont forget get the pansy little cap, man bag and bit of bum fluff on your chin before you can ride fixed
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    I see the appeal of a single speed...cos i want one! Can someone explain how this bike could work/works without brakes?

Suppose what i'm really asking is whats the difference between a SS and a fixie.

(preparing myself to be flamed) :oops:
  • supersonic
    Fixie has no freewheel - you stop pedaling, the rear wheel stops moving.
  • nfrang
    So is that practical then...i mean when you stop pedaling does the momentum still force the pedals round? Apologies for being puzzled(and i could probably wiki this)but it does sound a wee bit dangerous/difficult to control.
  • supersonic
    That is how you brake - control of the pedals.
  • BlackSpur
    nfrang wrote:
    So is that practical then...i mean when you stop pedaling does the momentum still force the pedals round?

Therin lies the difficulty - you have to overcome this force to slow/stop the bike.
  • nfrang
    Ahh i see! so you force the pedals to stop rotating. Still sounds dangerous...i imagine this is mainly for track bikes?
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    For track bikes yes, that is the only way of slowing down - but I think I heard somewhere that fixies legally have to have at least one brake to be roadworthy... please correct me if I'm wrong!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    yep should have a brake, pref front.
    In the old capital the plod will stop anybody without one if they're bored.
    But then again fixed is for people with balls the size of big ben if you're in the CoL!
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    edited August 2009
    I don't think fixies are legal on road full stop, we sell a couple where I work & both come with a flip flop fixed/freewheel.
    I had a go on one, it was fun riding in circles backwards :lol:

An old bloke I work with rides one & has done for years before it became trendy.
  • BlackSpur
    hamstrich wrote:
    For track bikes yes, that is the only way of slowing down - but I think I heard somewhere that fixies legally have to have at least one brake to be roadworthy... please correct me if I'm wrong!

They do, but I've seen city communter nutters without.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I rode the Charge Plug fixie a few months back, only about ¼ mile and back. Whoa.. what a totally different feel to what I'm used to.
    I followed the owner of it up the Bristol - Bath cycleway on my rigid road hardtail and battled to keep up with him even though I had 9 +3 on mine.. respect to the fixie pilots..
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Up until a couple of months ago my commuter was a fixie, I have built about 4 over the past few years and maneged to sell them for more then they cost to build :D

j001.jpg
    My last but one build
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • supersonic
    I once did a dirt jump on a fixie BMX - bad idea: straight over the bars on landing!
  • Sarnian
    I remember when I first got Into BMX having a coaster brake, bloody horrible things.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fixies are great. Perfectly legal so long as they have at least one 'normal' brake.

I've been riding mine for 8 years or so in the winter - its a great feeling - very different from a normal bike but in a good way. Great for low maintenance too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ahem.
    This is the mountain bike forum, for mountain bikers, not you bumfluff bearded apple-buying fixie weirdos.

:lol:
  • Sarnian
    I was waiting for the abuse, I started riding fixies as my commuter because my commuter bikes have to live outside my shed so My much loved MTB can be In the shed :D

Less moving parts and maintenance to worry about.
  • ^^^ well said mate ha ha- - I use to have a green raleigh kids bike with dual crown rigid forks that was fixed !! :lol:
  • Sarnian
    Sounds like a bit of a beast :D
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    ahem.
    This is the mountain bike forum, for mountain bikers, not you bumfluff bearded apple-buying fixie weirdos.

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    raleigh sell a wheel for £60 including the cog, i just bought a cheap racer and put that on and its great fun! takes a while to get used to it but after a few goes you get the hang of it. Although i am thinking of putting a brake on it

I have an old 531 steel framed bike I use for commuting which would be ideal.
    Where did you find the fixed rear wheel?
    Looke don Raleigh`s website but no luck finding it.....
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    Have a look on www.charliethebikemonger.com. He sells a load of Fixie stuff.

I imagine going down hill, feet up in the air with the cranks spinning would be quite good fun. Then you can try and "catch" them and see if you dont go over the handlebars.
  • BlackSpur
    My sister asked "so what is the point of it then?" when I explained to her what a fixie was. I had difficulty answering that one...
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    I think "Just because" is the most valid answer :wink: