Getting my tyres off...

BBL
BBL Posts: 21
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
A basic question I know but...

Manage to burst both inner tubes on my ride home last Thursday - as it was pouring decided to walk the rest of the way home and leave the repair until the weekend.

Tried to get the tyres off to remove the inner tubes and they won't shift - I'm using the tyre lever from my multi-tool, but just can't get enough tyre off the rim to keep it going the full 360 degrees.

I've never had any problems on my MTB but these one just won't shift.

Do I just need a better set of tyre levers and a bit more elbow grease? :?

Comments

• holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Alternatively, spoons work too (the flat bit, eh ;))
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    continental tyre levers are excellent, or the full size workshop ones.

what sort/make of tyres you got on?
  • BBL
    peanut1978 wrote:

It's a Boardman Team (2008) and they are Continental Tyres (can't remember which model).

I did notice that our friends at Halfords had fitted 25c inner tubes in 23c wheels, as after the tyre deflated I thought I had buckled both wheels (they were 'hopping' on each rotation while I was pushing it) but it looks like this was just where the inner tube had been folded over... :x
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    BBL wrote:
    peanut1978 wrote:

It's a Boardman Team (2008) and they are Continental Tyres (can't remember which model).

I did notice that our friends at Halfords had fitted 25c inner tubes in 23c wheels, as after the tyre deflated I thought I had buckled both wheels (they were 'hopping' on each rotation while I was pushing it) but it looks like this was just where the inner tube had been folded over... :x

Cant blame Halfords for that Im afraid, no problem with 25C inner tubes in 23C tyres, wouldnt be "folded over" to make em fit, the hopping would be the valve I would guess

Most road tyres are a right b**tard to get on and off. How many levers were you using? They usually come in three's.
  • BBL
    SheffSimon wrote:
    BBL wrote:
    peanut1978 wrote:

Cant blame Halfords for that Im afraid, no problem with 25C inner tubes in 23C tyres, wouldnt be "folded over" to make em fit, the hopping would be the valve I would guess

Most road tyres are a right b**tard to get on and off. How many levers were you using? They usually come in three's.

The inner tube in the front wheel was definitey too big, at least one and a half inch overlap as far as I could see (I may have guessed the sizes wrong above).

3 tyre levers may be the answer - thanks for the tip!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    First thing to do is hold the wheel in front of you with it side on (like you are looking at the bike from the side) and 'roll' the tyre back and forward really quite firmly across the rim to unseat it, the tyre should then be resting in the middle of the rim. You should then have no problem getting the tyre off with only one tyre lever. If any! Just put the one tyre lever in then slide away...