Alternative to Lycra shorts for beginners beginning..

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    edited August 2009
    Please tell me how chinos and a polo shirt help your golf swing?
    Please tell me how they improve your performance over other types of clothing?

Same with cricket gear. They have no performance enhancing qualities whatsoever - they are just what most wear to fit in.

Sure close fitting clothes are better on a road bike - but why gaudy coloured jerseys that look (to non roadies) tragic?

I surf a lot - to a pretty high level. Yet since my early 20s (when I was young and impressionable), I have not felt the need to wear surf clothing outside the water. I just don't feel the need to shout that I surf, run, cycle, do weights, etc, etc. I'd rather just do it. And beat those who wear all the gear :lol::lol:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Surf-Matt wrote:

please tell me how wearing a pair of Ron Hills makes more sense than wearing a pair of padded lycra shorts...
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Surf-Matt wrote:

You sound like a bit of a ding dong tbh..;-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Surf-Matt wrote:

They allow you to play at the club where the rules stipulate such clothing...
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Quite bizarrely a good mate of mine who plays off 5 wears boardshorts (or jeans if shorts aren't allowed) and a T shirt to play golf and thrashes most of the image struck old gits in their dodgy chinos and shirts... in fact it's won him a lot of money over the years.

You wear all "the gear" for golf and you have a jetski...

Fail. :lol::lol:

Well, Matt, fair play to your mate. Only thing being if he turns up to play golf somewhere other than the local Muni he wont be allowed on the course.

There is a difference between 'all the gear' and dressing appropriately for your chosen sport, thats the point im trying to make.

BTW, i dont have a jetski, I use a pals or hire one....
    ...although not quite sure what the dig was you were getting in there :o
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Well they work for me guys.

They were cool, dry and stayed tight-fitting and comfy on my 50miler yesterday. My t-shirt however was restricting.. am going to decathlon soon to get a couple of lycra tops.

You said in your earlier post that you had skinny legs and knobbly knees, yet, if your tracksters/ bikesters fit tight, surely your legs are big enough to be wearing lycra! :shock:
    I'm not knocking your choice of bikester bottoms, but bib longs would be so much more comfy... It's like night and day! Bikesters will snag on your seat, bib longs/lycra shorts wont.
    Wait till it rains while you're out cycling... Then you will know why everyone else wears lycra...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Surf-Matt
    That's why I can't stand golf - you have to dress "appropriately." Sod that. I dress how I want to have fun. In fact I went to a stag do a while back where we played golf and dressed in the most ridiculous, mocking golf clothes we could find. We rather enjoyed it...

Golf is so steeped in stupid laws that I will never get into it. But it's seems to be an essential part of life for those that want to fit in....

Softlad - I'm not defending Ronhills.
  • softlad
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Sure close fitting clothes are better on a road bike - but why gaudy coloured jerseys that look (to non roadies) tragic?

colour is a personal choice - it is not universal. Coming from an MTB background (as I do), you should not be complaining about gaudy colours and fashion-related clothing choices...you might not remember this, but back in the early 90s (according to MBUK), you were not a proper mountain biker unless you wore a Bula hat (no, I didn't wear one..)...
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I actually own a pair of bikesters that I used to use for commuting in the winter over a pair of padded shorts (they've at the bottom of a drawer now for years as I have bibtights instead). They're simply not as good as bib shorts.

Now, if someone just so happened to already own a pair of bikesters (despite the fact that they'd never been a cyclist) then it would be entirely sensible for them to wear them initially instead of buying lycra. But the OP is suggesting people going out and buying these instead of bibs which just makes no sense.

Bib shorts and cycling tops don't need to be bright coloured and covered in advertising either....
    More problems but still living....
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    That's why I can't stand golf - you have to dress "appropriately." Sod that. I dress how I want to have fun. In fact I went to a stag do a while back where we played golf and dressed in the most ridiculous, mocking golf clothes we could find. We rather enjoyed it...

Golf is so steeped in stupid laws that I will never get into it. But it's seems to be an essential part of life for those that want to fit in....

Softlad - I'm not defending Ronhills.

Do you ever go to black-tie Do's?

And if you do, what do you wear, a brightly coloured shirt?
  • Surf-Matt
    I don't tend to do much sport at black tie dos.

So yes, it's the full works.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    A skin tight gaudy coloured top covered in sponsor logos when you aren't sponsored?
    Bright white shoes that you can't walk in?
    Nut hugging, usually super bright sponsor covered shorts that make a bad cameltoe look tame?

I say it's a lot about fashion... it says "I'm a roadie, look at me"

I'd rather keep quiet and ride.
    Maybe if you wore all this gear, you wouldn't think 20 miles was a long way.
  • amaferanga wrote:
    But the OP is suggesting people going out and buying these instead of bibs which just makes no sense.

With respect no. wrong. I never even mentioned bibs. I suggested an alternative to skimpy shorts which for the self concious beginner like me.

To be fair i was unaware that the bib tights go to full length to hide the scars. But it still doesn't excuse the silly attacks. My reasons for wearing them are personal and do not warrant such abuse.

I also did not suggest everyone goes and buys some ffs
    Account requested to be deleted
  • Surf-Matt
    Infamous wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    A skin tight gaudy coloured top covered in sponsor logos when you aren't sponsored?
    Bright white shoes that you can't walk in?
    Nut hugging, usually super bright sponsor covered shorts that make a bad cameltoe look tame?

I say it's a lot about fashion... it says "I'm a roadie, look at me"

I'd rather keep quiet and ride.
    Maybe if you wore all this gear, you wouldn't think 20 miles was a long way.

Yawn.

I often ride a lot further on my MTB but I've only just got the road bike. But thanks for the helpful input. Muppet.
  • softlad

To be fair i was unaware that the bib tights go to full length to hide the scars. But it still doesn't excuse the silly attacks. My reasons for wearing them are personal and do not warrant such abuse.

scars..?

earlier you said you were worried about showing your 'knobbly knees'.....
  • Infamous
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Yawn.

I often ride a lot further on my MTB but I've only just got the road bike. But thanks for the helpful input. Muppet.
    The correct clothing might make you go faster than 16 mph too.

:D
  • Surf-Matt
    Infamous wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Yawn.

The correct clothing might make you go faster than 16 mph too.

So you've been riding for 18 months and now think you're a roadie god? One that can't spell "breaking" too.

Oh dear...

Hi first post.

I've been riding a cheap hybrid for a few months and want to get a road bike. I only ride for fitness and I (try to) ride 10+ hours a week.

Budget is around £250, so far i've narrowed it down to an Airlite 100 or a halfords carrera virtuoso. What do you think of them? any other bikes around that price?

I'm not bothered about the weight of the bike, just want something that will last for a while without braking.

thanks

p.s. I'm also looking at 2nd hand bikes, although i'd prefer a new one.
  • Infamous
    hit a nerve did I?

I bought the virtuoso as it happens, wore it out eventually though.
  • Surf-Matt
    No you haven't hit a nerve but I believe I've just found you out.

Try harder next time... :lol:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ooooh, this is getting very personal, now.... :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hey come on guys... i know it's monday but 'nuff of that please.

wow. you'd never believe we all share the same thing in common essentially.

• Infamous
    thread of the year imo
  • softlad

what - a mortal fear of lycra..?? I think that's just you....
  • softlad wrote:

Right. I said it was personal and you are making it personal. If you want to take it any further pm me.
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    softlad wrote:

But bikesters are stretchy and close fitting, I think it's more a fear of shorts :wink:
  • Surf-Matt
    Desperate - don your internet armour and ride gracefully into battle.

It is after all only the internet and there are a million and one keyboard warriors out there - like infamous for example...
  • softlad

Right. I said it was personal and you are making it personal. If you want to take it any further pm me.

why, so we can arrange to have a fight or something...?? Whoever gets knocked out first loses the online argument....?? I think not....well, not unless you agree to pay my travel costs...

Just buy some fkin lycra shorts and give it a rest....
  • softlad
    soveda wrote:

But bikesters are stretchy and close fitting, I think it's more a fear of shorts :wink:

a fear of being seen in public with your lower legs exposed. Is there a name for that..? ;)
  • Infamous
    Surf-Matt wrote:

It is after all only the internet and there are a million and one keyboard warriors out there - like infamous for example...
    haha let's just leave it mate ay.

Man, this internet is serious business.
  • Surf-Matt
    edited August 2009
    Infamous wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

haha let's just leave it mate ay.

Man, this internet is serious business.

He who lives by the sword...etc

If I get more than a spare two hours (I have a baby boy) I use that free time to go surfing. I'm sure I could triple the distance I did on Sunday quite easily but time was limited . I have been training hard over half my life with actual results to show for it (won stuff, high placings in other stuff, etc) Next time you judge, do it more cautiously...
This discussion has been closed.