Alternative to Lycra shorts for beginners beginning..

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

I agree and we all know that lycra shorts are best but for me these are the next best thing untill i warrant getting lycra.

there you go again....making out as though wearing the proper kit is only for riders above a certain ability level.....

Don't ever buy a motorcycle......
  • softlad wrote:

I agree and we all know that lycra shorts are best but for me these are the next best thing untill i warrant getting lycra.

there you go again....making out as though wearing the proper kit is only for riders above a certain ability level.....

Don't ever buy a motorcycle......

Hahahahahah that's where you're wrong. I used to race at club level.

I had all the kit as i needed it. But why buy knee sliders if you don't go beyong 15 degrees from verticle ????
    Account requested to be deleted
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    AMcD wrote:
    AGNI wrote:
    AGNI wrote:
    I didn't say he looked a plonker. I said he could look a plonker.

Lets be honest, today, if you saw someone wearing those specifically made cycling bottoms that are cool and fast wicking, you would think "plonker".

Its slowly occurring to me that I may be becoming a bit of a bike snob :oops:

:D You said it AGNI. I wear Ron Hills sometimes and if you've not tried them yet they're comfier than you think - and can stretch up to two sizes if needed :wink: .

Don't get me wrong, my original comment wasn't about suitability. Ron Hills are comfy, wick moisture, are very practical but (and this is the nub of the matter) more revealing than Lycra in many situations. Any climbers out there will know what I mean :)
  • softlad

I had all the kit as i needed it. But why buy knee sliders if you don't go beyong 15 degrees from verticle ????

I was talking more about helmet & gloves actually. Presumably when you started club racing, you had to wear the beginner's flourescent vest, but you still had to wear it over your proper leathers..??

See what I'm getting at..?
  • desperate73
    desperate73 Posts: 135
    edited August 2009
    no, i don't.

biking leathers are essential. Lycra shorts can be substituted for something else in the short term.. especially for brand new riders.

No i never wore a vest as when i started track racing i was already a fast, experienced biker.

See your comments lead me to belive that IF you were a beginner motorcyclist then not only would you have the essential leathers etc but turn up for a acu practice day with bikes in van or trailer, gazeebo, bbq, generator, tyre warmers, etc etc..

You don't need to buy everything straight away to get on and enjoy. You lot insist that it is morally wrong not to have everything going. I've only just passed 100miles on my bike ffs and what i have is growing.

My idea of the post was for folk like me, that don't yet wear lycra, for vanity reasons and others.. see not everyone does. dosn't wake them right or you right or whatever.

Can't we do as we choose or do we have to do as you do to join in ??
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130

Would you ride a R1 dressed like a member of hell's angels ?

Would you play football with your mates in the park wearing a wetsuit ?

There's no snobbery here (there may be in the real world when roadies see you riding wearing jeans though), the people here are offering the correct advice. Wear the clothes that are appropriate, if you are too shy, then wear some shorts over the top or man up.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The general concensus from this thread is that there isn't anything that's a good alternative to lycra.

Buying a good pair of bib tights isn't going to get you labelled as 'all the gear no idea'...
  • Infamous
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Buying a good pair of bib tights isn't going to get you labelled as 'all the gear no idea'...
    +1
    Quite the opposite.
  • Infamous wrote:

Would you ride a R1 dressed like a member of hell's angels ?

Would you play football with your mates in the park wearing a wetsuit ?

There's no snobbery here (there may be in the real world when roadies see you riding wearing jeans though), the people here are offering the correct advice. Wear the clothes that are appropriate, if you are too shy, then wear some shorts over the top or man up.

Reread my post. Think again. "I had all the kit as i needed it". I wouldn't need a wet suit playing footie now do i. But i'm not forced to wear a full footy kit playing footie with the kids.
  • Infamous
    Reread my post. Think again. "I had all the kit as i needed it". I wouldn't need a wet suit playing footie now do i. But i'm not forced to wear a full footy kit playing footie with the kids.
    You did 6 hours yesterday didn't you ? hardly the same as playing footy with the kids.
  • Infamous wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    +1
    Quite the opposite.

looking at bib tights. the bottom half look pretty much like what i'm wearing. So i don't see what you're trying to correct me on???
  • softlad

ok - just to be clear....please can you complete the following sentence:

"I refuse to buy a pair of padded lycra cycling shorts because......"
  • Anonymous
    Infamous wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    +1
    Quite the opposite.

looking at bib tights. the bottom half look pretty much like what i'm wearing. So i don't see what you're trying to correct me on???

If that's the case then what's the issue with wearing Lycra?
  • These tights i have are good enough for me. and it's what they are sold for, by a cycling company.

those tight shorts aint for me, personal choice. Does my personal choice scorn you so?
  • softlad
    Does my personal choice scorn you so?

scorn - no

baffle - yes

especially when the choice is a) inevitable and b) blindingly obvious
  • Anonymous
    This thread seems to have lost any point whatsoever.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Infamous wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    +1
    Quite the opposite.

If that's the case then what's the issue with wearing Lycra?

I said in the very first post what they are. every has said i'm wrong. lycra isn't the issue, i like it, skimpy shorts is - i've seen people laugh at cyclists something rotten - some folk are put off by that buy some idiots.

I know don't really know what we are arguing about?/ Other than some moving away from the original idea.
  • Anonymous
    I know.

Erm....
  • that i agree with NepoleoD. My intention was honest though.
  • Anonymous
    Please see Brick Tamland at 21 seconds....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-jpOb_9ZM
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I wear lycra shorts (Altura Progels - very good) under MTB shorts (Endura Singletracks) - comfy, practical and I can pop into shops/pubs without feeling like a TOTAL goon. I also wear non roadie tops - Howies or Patagonia wicking vests/t shirts and MTB SPDs - my only roadie thing is taking the peak off my 2D helmet!

I cannot stand the lycra'd up team shirted, ED209 walking roadie look, even if you have a figure that makes Brad Pitt look like a fat beer monster.
  • softlad
    Surf-Matt wrote:

I cannot stand the lycra'd up team shirted, ED209 walking roadie look, even if you have a figure that makes Brad Pitt look like a fat beer monster.

each to their own - but it is a look born out of pure practicality, not fashion...
  • Surf-Matt
    edited August 2009
    A skin tight gaudy coloured top covered in sponsor logos when you aren't sponsored?
    Bright white shoes that you can't walk in?
    Nut hugging, usually super bright sponsor covered shorts that make a bad cameltoe look tame?

I say it's a lot about fashion... it says "I'm a roadie, look at me"

I'd rather keep quiet and ride.
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Quite bizarrely, when im playing golf i'll wear gear for golf, pair of chinos and a polo shirt. When Im playing footy, i'll stick on a football kit, if i'm out on a jetski a wetsuit...

...and on the bike gear designed for cycling, bibshorts and top.

Maybe thats just me...... :shock:
  • lol

Women in news rooms ?? I Agree. Especially when you can see more of them in the weather report aka Laura Tobin :P
  • Surf-Matt
    edited August 2009
    Quite bizarrely a good mate of mine who plays off 5 wears boardshorts (or jeans if shorts aren't allowed) and a T shirt to play golf and thrashes most of the image struck old gits in their dodgy chinos and shirts... in fact it's won him a lot of money over the years.

You wear all "the gear" for golf and you have a jetski...

Fail. :lol::lol:
  • Surf-Matt wrote:

Brilliant. Best bit in this entire thread inclusive :)

thankyou thankyou
  • softlad
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    A skin tight gaudy coloured top covered in sponsor logos when you aren't sponsored?
    Nut hugging, usually super bright sponsor covered shorts that make a bad cameltoe look tame?

er..

my club jersey carries sponsor logos because their cash helped pay for the kit.

My shoes are mainly black, but the colour is irrelevant

Lycra shorts - see this thread for more info.

Co-incidentally - I would rather keep quiet and ride. I was just answering your questions...
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    A skin tight top covered in sponsor logos when you aren't sponsored?
    Nut hugging shorts that make a bad cameltoe look tame?

Coming from MTBing I thought the same as you to start with, however...

Skin tight jersey versus baggy Oakley freeride jersey means better sweat wicking, more aerodynamic (yes it does matter that much) and more comfort on the roadie due to less loss fabric flapping around at 20MPH
    Bright white shoes... my MTB shoes were silver so no change there, but are SPD cleats
    Nut hugging shorts versus baggies... after a spell out the saddle it's easier to slide into the higher road saddle without baggy cloth between your nadgers.

It says... I take my chosen sport seriously. You wouldn't turn up for a game of village cricket in green combats and a turquoise tank top would you?
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    PedroJake wrote:
    Quite bizarrely, when im playing golf i'll wear gear for golf, pair of chinos and a polo shirt. When Im playing footy, i'll stick on a football kit, if i'm out on a jetski a wetsuit...

...and on the bike gear designed for cycling, bibshorts and top.

Maybe thats just me...... :shock:

+1...
    I do quite a few sports, but always wear the appropriate clothing for whatever sport I'm doing. Regardless of ability, the correct gear is important...

Paul
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
This discussion has been closed.