52.4 miler...

2»

Comments

• lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    rhext wrote:
    lastwords wrote:
    well done you did well to do that much after 6 times on a bike in 20yrs i think it does get easier with time unless you always try to ride quicker of course.

I sometimes wish i had a longer commute mine is only about a mile, I did 46miles on saturday took me 3hrs, 7minutes with ave speed of 14.8 this included 3000+ ft of climbing.

Only if you take the most direct route ;-)

made me smile :lol:
  • thanks for the above :)

I think the more runs will be just as hard as i'm constantly pushing on, so wherever or whatever ride i do you can be sure that it's to the best of my ability.. so looking forward to the times coming down :P
    Account requested to be deleted
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    This is Essex though so no real hills. Highest on my route rises from 0 to about 400 ft in (approx) 0.5 mile.

you sure about that..? - half a mile of 1 in 6 sounds pretty challenging....
  • talking to a young lad called Daniel who works in the bike section at Decathlon in Notts.

Really decent lad, built perfect for cycling (ie 9stone) and a very, very keen road cyclist. He's turning pro soon but he hunts out all including the most evil of jhills around matlock area !! And there are some evil, nasty, horrid hills there !!!!

Anyone in that area, pop in to Decathlon on the Ikea retail park he'll talk to you about road bikes all day long.. and his knowledge and advice is envyable and invaluable.

HE EVEN TALKED ME INTO BUYING SOME BIB TIGHTS :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Hi desperate73

I am like you except I took some very good advice, start slowly and build it up by 10% every two weeks.

I haven't ridden seriously since the early 80's, what with bad health etc. I was determined to get sorted.

I started about 5 weeks ago doing a simple circuit of about 7 miles and averaged 15 miles an hour, two weeks later I increased it to 9 miles and finally after two weeks got my average up to 18.2 mph.

Last Sunday I went for what was to me the big one and I decided to visit my mother with a round trip of 26 miles, average speed 16.7 mph.

Started this morning on the next route up and did 11 miles at an average of 17.7 mph.

All of this with no stops, except to visit my mother, out in all weathers as well.

I find it easier to go first thing in the morning with no breakfast and just a glass of water and my tablets.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to build the distance, I know what it is like when everyone around you is doing 50-80 miles rides, I know that I will by this time next year be up to it, but for now I am just concentrating on getting fit, blow any of the competitiveness for now.

BTW I am 50 this year and used to weight 136kg, I came out of hospital 12 weeks ago after major surgery and won't be defeated and now weigh 97kgs.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    softlad wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    This is Essex though so no real hills. Highest on my route rises from 0 to about 400 ft in (approx) 0.5 mile.

you sure about that..? - half a mile of 1 in 6 sounds pretty challenging....

I'll check on the Garmin when I get home tonight. There are two hills on my route that I need to go into lowest or near lowest gear and spin up (I'm not good on hills!) - but they don't seem that hard -yes the graph on the picy looks pretty steep but I could well have exagerated - not intentionally as my point is that it is a reasonably flat route.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    talking to a young lad called Daniel who works in the bike section at Decathlon in Notts.

Really decent lad, built perfect for cycling (ie 9stone) and a very, very keen road cyclist. He's turning pro soon but he hunts out all including the most evil of jhills around matlock area !! And there are some evil, nasty, horrid hills there !!!!

Anyone in that area, pop in to Decathlon on the Ikea retail park he'll talk to you about road bikes all day long.. and his knowledge and advice is envyable and invaluable.

Whhhaaaaattttttttttt!!!!!!!

After all that bikkering on the other post, where everyone suggested bib shorts/ tights and you lost the rag???

Best money you'll spend :)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    talking to a young lad called Daniel who works in the bike section at Decathlon in Notts.

Blimey :shock: ! You seem to have changed your tune. You seemed to have your head so deep in the sand or stuck some other place the light don't shine on another post of yours about kit and your refusal to purchase basic items that I seriously thought you were just a windup or a disgruntled and possibly ex-club rider :roll: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • ^^^ Wow you two are really grown up.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    ^^^ Wow you two are really grown up.

whereas you, of course, have displayed nothing but maturity and open-mindedness throughout...
  • This was put to bed. Why are you trying to carry on twat features ?? Is your life that pathetic and meaningless ?? Well obviously.

Reply from you again and a complaint will be sent and post removed.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    This was put to bed. Why are you trying to carry on fool features ?? Is your life that pathetic and meaningless ?? Well obviously.

Reply from you again and a complaint will be sent and post removed.
    Be quiet and grow up.
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    ^^^ Wow you two are really grown up.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

get a sense of humour when your out getting the shorts which you insisted you werent going to get!
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140
    Is someone struggling with side affects from their HRT? :shock:
    Still suffering with wind
  • how's about get fooked ??

:P :P
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140
    fasofbag.jpg
    Still suffering with wind
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    I think it's a shame that the moderators on here don't close this thread to stop the bullying.

Edindevon
  • Yeah i'm walking away from this forum.. got to be a better one. Shame as some guys great.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    AGNI wrote:
    fasofbag.jpg

Think you meant to post this in buying advice? I think the yellow suits you!
  • dilemna
    Yeah i'm walking away from this forum.. got to be a better one. Shame as some guys great.

Not cycling away then :wink:?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Good to hear that you went out and forced yourself through the pain - the fact that you have to cycle home once you get so far out is a good way to make sure you don't just chicken out and cycle round your local area in circles.

It'll be easier next time (for the same intensity), unless you go faster.

This reminds me of when I first started out. We've all been there. Just make sure you eat well and don't go out again until you're fully recovered, unless you're sure you're not pushing too hard too early. It's always more fun when you're fully recovered from the last ride.
  • dilemna
    6th time on the bike in 20years and i wanted to do a 20miler. So i get off from ng32 to ng12.

Did it in 1hr 55min avg speed 14mph and 26.5 miles inclusive of the 2 rests.

Had a cup of tea and a little lucazade and rested for half an hour.

I was going to leave the bike there and get the wife to pick me up en-route home. But felt ok so decided to bike back too.. not the bestest of moves it has murdered me.

Final journey home was 2hrs 20mins avg speed 11.1 same 26.5 miles. Inclusive of all rests about 6 or 7.. it killed me especially grantham hill on the a52.

Thanks for reading and please comment...

:P :D:D

How's the riding and fitess going DESPERATE?
  • dilemna wrote:
    6th time on the bike in 20years and i wanted to do a 20miler. So i get off from ng32 to ng12.

Did it in 1hr 55min avg speed 14mph and 26.5 miles inclusive of the 2 rests.

Had a cup of tea and a little lucazade and rested for half an hour.

I was going to leave the bike there and get the wife to pick me up en-route home. But felt ok so decided to bike back too.. not the bestest of moves it has murdered me.

Final journey home was 2hrs 20mins avg speed 11.1 same 26.5 miles. Inclusive of all rests about 6 or 7.. it killed me especially grantham hill on the a52.

Thanks for reading and please comment...

:P :D:D

How's the riding and fitess going DESPERATE?

It's better mate.. thanks. Still at it.

Intensity is always the same but speeds moved to 16mph avg for each 25mile each way trek. Along way off the record books but for me at my level it's building upwards... although progress from the 16/17mph avg is slower (glass ceiling atm).

I've got a few routes now that head out somewhere (normally a nature reserve or bird sanctury).. mess round for a hour or two then head back.

Getting dark though early so will be changing my runs to early morning.

Another problem i have is finding some spd road shoes with recessed soles for £20 :P