20 miler

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Not had the road bike long so was pleased to squeeze in a 20 miler.
Average 16mph (it's very hilly around here) and the new wheels (got a free upgrade - my others were dodgy - Shimano RS10s - are that bit lighter and stiffer. Nice. :D

Comments

• Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    I do a 20 miler every morning round Midlothian which is reasonably hilly, it takes me 63 minutes, im no racing snake like. Clears the cobwebs more than anything. Just put Askiums on the Bianchi, its not made any difference to my time, mind you, didnt expect it like for 90 quid!
  • Surf-Matt
    Stell - I do just 12 miles - one MTB route, one road route - 4 to 5 times a week. Plus running, surfing,etc - does indeed clear the cobwebs!
  • Stellite
    I surf too. Its been flat for ages. Need to get a nice low pressure front with a sweet long distance swell. I bought a ......lost round nosed fish a while back but not been out on it yet :cry:
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Not had the road bike long so was pleased to squeeze in a 20 miler.
    Average 16mph (it's very hilly around here) and the new wheels (got a free upgrade - my others were dodgy - Shimano RS10s - are that bit lighter and stiffer. Nice. :D

well done mate. If it's regular run keep timing it.. I bet you now feel like i do :P
    Account requested to be deleted
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Good work Surf-Matt, do you think that your surf fitness and MTB experienced has made a difference and out of interest how many/what length and the % of full on climbs do you have in your 20 miler?

Should add, thinking of getting an MTB for the winter and as I'm already racking up similar times to you I would be interested to know if that would be a good winter choice, to push on for next year :D
  • Surf-Matt
    Stellite - where are you? We've just had the most amazing few days of surf for months! Wednesday was one of my best surfs ever on my new 6ft quad! I'm on my 6'2" in my avatar.

Desperate - I compete in trail runs, triathlons and other stuff - I time everything!

Sonny - it's helped a lot I reckon. I still MTB a lot but do more fast XC and even road/track riding rather than technical stuff so fitness is everything. Did my first ever MTB race earlier in the year - it was all off road (swim was in the sea) and the ride was very full on MTBing and managed to win it - partly due to cycling but mainly due to running fitness.

I think the steep hills of MTBing give you good balance and discipline too - you rarely go up hills on a road bike not knowing if you'll be able to get up (regardless of fitness)!

The ride I did has a 1.5 mile 8% hill (then downhill), another 0.5 mile 7% hill then on the way back a 1 mile 10% hill (up) and a 0.8 mile 12% climb - nothing too awful (my morning ride has MUCH steeper hills!) but enough to get the lungs working.
  • sonny73
    Nice work on the racing :D
    That 20 miler is pretty much identical to mine in terms of climbs and lengths of, it's really interesting to compare with someone else’s ride and makes me happy I compare to a multi discipline man such as yourself; makes all the bloomin hard work I've put in over recent months all the better.
    I came back from injury and only started riding full on again in mid May, used that 20 miler as a base and along with some other more brutal rides and training, it got me fit enough to climb the Col des Aravis nicely at the end of July and do the Tour TT route at Annecy in a decent time.

Thanks for the info on MTB; I figured that it would be a real winner for transition to road, so your opinion on climbing is really helpful. Thinking of picking an MTB up in the next month so I’ll really look forward to seeing the effects in the months to come.
    Cheers
  • Surf-Matt
    Nice one! Shout if you need any help choosing one. I am a complete super geek on most thing MTB related! My Stumpjumper is slightly ridiculously blinged down to ti bottle cage bolts... :oops: :lol::lol: Still weighs a shed load more than the Allez though!
  • sonny73
    Cheers, will do and I can say I'm almost definitely getting a Specialized MTB, friends have them and they are all very happy. Geek here too, but purely road based, so I definitely lack on the old MTB knowledge. Also good work with the bling, I'm as bad with my Tarmac when the pocket permits :D
  • Surf-Matt
    Hmm - could be a handy exchange - I know naff all about road bikes at the moment!
  • Stellite
    Hi Matt

Edinburgh. Pease Bay and Bellhaven are my local spots. Its looking good for this weekend :D
  • Surf-Matt
    Not down here it isn't... :cry::cry:

Have fun though you git!

I had some pro coaching (from a top 10 pro on the circuit) two weeks ago - been surfing 20 years but wanted to nail more stuff - really helped. Two airs successfully pulled and landed last week with a few layback snaps too. Recommended whatever level anyone is at.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    Did my first 30 miler on Saturday quit hilly but I felt good, it took me 2hrs although I stopped for 5mins for a bit of cake and anther to check my sports tracker on my phone, it told me I did 51k averaged 24.9km/h and top speed 74 km/h, trying to work out how to get the gradient.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • sonny73
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Hmm - could be a handy exchange - I know naff all about road bikes at the moment!
    Just shout mate and if I can't help then someone on here will be able to for sure :D