Bike gross weights.. (continually updated)

desperate73
desperate73 Posts: 135
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

I know that alot of you have quite simply great bikes but as a beginner most bikes i lifted in shops appeared to differ quite abit.

some really expensive ones definately were super light compared to the cheaper ones but is there a magic figure to aim for?? Is there a weight that you really don't want with a road bike and if i say that mine is 10.1kg's, is that light, medium, heavy?? I also presume that there is pretty much a direct relationship between weight vs price.

manufacturers don't appear to release weights and it would be wonderful to have a list of bikes with real-world gross weights for people like me to look at, and ofcourse potentials buyers comparing.

I know there's a how light's yours? thread somewhere but rather than a p3nis measuring competition which i would fail miserably might we get some real stats/specs on bikes/spec and weight ??

thanks in advance, dan

Bike Yr notes weight
Claud Butler Milano 2009 : Std : 10.1kgs
Boardman Comp : std+upgrade pedals and rear cassette : 8.8kgs
Scott Speedster S30 : laden- GPS, sadle bag, pedals, 58cm, etc : 9.9kgs
Genesis : R700 cassette, ultegra front mech, 105 rear and tiagra shifters, asksium wheels and full SKS mudguards : 10kgs
Account requested to be deleted

Comments

• Simon1890
    Simon1890 Posts: 117
    I currently ride a boardman comp road bike.....cheap end of the price scale at £550 when bought...but with a couple of upgrades (pedals and rear cassette) it weighs 8.2kg...which i believe isn't bad at all for that price.....medium weight on the light/medium/heavy scale!!!

Cheers
  • Blimey that is much lighter than mine mate!!

Mine's a Claud Butler Milano 2009. Std Sora group set. £479 when bought last week. £10.1kg's. I suppose it's a heavy bike,, but acceptable for the price?
  • Simon1890
    Simon1890 Posts: 117
    Yeah i'd say so...but i'm a relative newbie also.....under 8kg seems to be the target for a 'good' bike...but i could be wrong.
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Mine weighs 9.9kg on the road (GPS, sadle bag, pedals, etc...) for a 58cm frame. Scott Speedster S30 (the extra gears probably weigh me down quite a bit). Would probably be lighter if I wasn't so tall either.

That's weighing it off the sadle on a meat hook scale thing (just don't tell Mum what her kitchen stuff gets used for ).
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • Thanks Woodchip (presume you're a joiner ? :D )

Suppose too we have to allow for variations in user measurements. I use my wii fit, with me holding it like my little baby it is :D
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    My Genesis ways 22 pounds apparently, that's with R700 cassette, ultegra front mech, 105 rear and tiagra shifters, asksium wheels and full SKS mudguards.
  • Thanks Freehub i'll start doing a list :P
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    My ribble weight about 17lbs. (7.7kgs) Thats a medium sportive frame, zonda wheels, centaur carbon gruppo. One very small saddle bag and a small computer. Thats it.

I'm no expert but I would work on something similar to:
    < than 16lbs = very light weight
    < than 19lbs = light weight
    < than 21lbs = medium
    < than 22lbs = heavy
    Over 23lbs = a brick.

Am sure others have there own view
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    zedders wrote:
    My ribble weight about 17lbs. (7.7kgs) Thats a medium sportive frame, zonda wheels, centaur carbon gruppo. One very small saddle bag and a small computer. Thats it.

I'm no expert but I would work on something similar to:
    < than 16lbs = very light weight
    < than 19lbs = light weight
    < than 21lbs = medium
    < than 22lbs = heavy
    Over 23lbs = a brick.

Am sure others have there own view

Naw, that's way too complicated.

Under 16lbs = light
    Over 16lbs = you're just not spending enough.
  • ^^^^ lol
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    [/quote]

Under 16lbs = light
    Over 16lbs = you're just not spending enough.[/quote]

I knew I should of spent more on the ribble :(
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I weighed mine in the shop when I first got it. 8.4kg.

But i've since added heavier wheels (although, they're more aerodynamic) so it's gone up a bit.

I'm building a fixed-gear bike for TTs which, will be 4.3kg but i'm not sure it will make much of a difference to my times - body weight plays a bigger role and lowering it actually saves you money.
  • desperate73
    desperate73 Posts: 135
    edited August 2009
    Yeah considering the bike is only probably 13% of the overal bike/rider package an improvement of 2kg's and £1000 (10 to 8kgs) would be a 20% lighter bike. Great but only 2.5% wieght reduction of the rider/bike package.

That's assuming the rider is 65kgs. like me.
  • Bhima
    Exactly.

Well, i'm 66kg and was 80kg a few months ago. There's a few hills I regularly time myself up and recently i've been smashing the times to pieces. Even if you're the lightest you can be, doing powerful intervals to increase your power will be more effective than spending money.

...and If you're both as light and as powerful as you can get, see you at next year's tour de france!
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    My Giant SCR2 2008 (Tiagra groupset, medium frame) is about 21lb (weighed on possibly inaccurate bathroom scales - must try it on my Wii Fit!). Feels like a feather compared to my MTB, which is about 35lb!
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • KevinMcC
    KevinMcC Posts: 95
    [/quote]

Under 16lbs = light
    Over 16lbs = you're just not spending enough.[/quote]

Beginners forum, bit much to expect for people to fork out a shedload for a light bike when we have just started? As someone says later, the bulk of the weight is the bulk of the rider and since I would guess a lot of beginners (myself included) would like to drop a few pounds, then surely worrying about bike weight can wait until we are all pro lean ;)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bhima wrote:

But i've since added heavier wheels (although, they're more aerodynamic) so it's gone up a bit.

I'm building a fixed-gear bike for TTs which, will be 4.3kg but i'm not sure it will make much of a difference to my times - body weight plays a bigger role and lowering it actually saves you money.

That's going to be one hell of a flexie TT bike at 4.3kg! How much is it costing?
    More problems but still living....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    There is only 1 simple rule really..
    the lighter your bike, the faster you're expected to be
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    amaferanga wrote:
    Bhima wrote:

That's going to be one hell of a flexie TT bike at 4.3kg! How much is it costing?

I would be carefull. Bhima has an....erm..active imagination. :roll:

Bhima, any news on the 6 races in 6 days, any of the timetrials you have entered any meetups with the Manchester wheelers you kept having to miss at the last minute. Various people keep asking you for your times but you never seem to get round to mentioning them before posting more ludicrous comment you then back away from! :roll:
  • Bhima
    Nobody's asked me for my times...? :?

As for cycling clubs, I gave up on the wheelers ages ago. I go out with the dropouts these days, or some mates, who get up at reasonable times. :D

As for the bike-

Frame & Forks - 1685g - Bought from China, no branding at all. (?) Think you can get loads of them on ebay. - £156
    Wheels - White Velocity Deep Vs. +Tyres & Tubes - 1411g - £205
    Handlebars - 3TTT Prima 220 - 225g - £40
    Drivetrain bits - 712g - Couldn't be arsed weighing them all individually at the time. All spares from the LBS - £55
    Saddle & Seatpost - Specialized Toupe & AX Lightness Europa - 166g + 118g - £Free

Total - 4317g / £456
  • freehub
    WHAT BIKE HAVE YOU GOT BHIMA? OMG!!!111

And bhima, it appears as if you've never being out with the wheelers so have can you give up? It's like me saying I gave up smoking ages ago, but I've never ever smoked in my life.
  • Bhima
    Given up trying to get up stupidly early for them.
  • freehub
    How are you going to cope when you find a real job if you ever do? It's not stupidly early, it's just early tbh. I'm getting up at 6am atm for something I'm doing and thats not stupidly early.

And what's your new bike Bhima?
  • Early bird catches the worm :D
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Bhima wrote:

As for cycling clubs, I gave up on the wheelers ages ago. I go out with the dropouts these days, or some mates, who get up at reasonable times. :D

As for the bike-

Frame & Forks - 1685g - Bought from China, no branding at all. (?) Think you can get loads of them on ebay. - £156
    Drivetrain bits - 712g - Couldn't be arsed weighing them all individually at the time. All spares from the LBS - £55
    Saddle & Seatpost - Specialized Toupe & AX Lightness Europa - 166g + 118g - £Free

Total - 4317g / £456

Just so we are clear. You are saying you have a bike, considerably below the UCI weight limit and it cost you £456. Superb.
  • amaferanga
    Bhima wrote:

As for the bike-

Total - 4317g / £456

1685 for frame and forks? I don't believe you. 1685g for the frame only maybe, then add 500g for the forks. 1685g is not much heavier than a Giant TCR frame/forks. Can you provide an ebay link?

Drivetrain bits - chainset, sprocket, bottom bracket, chain - only 712g? Are you sure? All leftover bits from your LBS as well? Even being quite generous with the weights, using standard parts I'd say that'd come to around 1200g minimum.

Velocity Deep Vs weigh 520g each so you're saying your hubs, spokes, tyres and tubes weigh less than 400g? Are you sure? Using typical tyres and DT spokes I'd say that you're looking at something like 2200g total wheel weight at least.

Did you forget about a stem and headset? Add 300g. Pedals? 400g.

So being very generous, I'd say this superbike of yours is going to weigh at least 6.5kg excluding brakes.

And since you're not bothering with brakes then presuambly you won't be riding it on the road?

Do you actually believe the things you write?
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    If anyones still interested!!!!!!!

My Boardman Team Carbon (medium) weighs the quoted 17.6lbs out the box.

19lbs as ridden, Carbon Airstick, small saddle bag, two carbon bottle cage, r540 pedals and Strada computer.

Saddle, seatpost, stem and pedals could all be lightened relatively cheaply saving another kilo maybe, shant be though as I've blown my entire budget! :wink:
  • amaferanga
    I've always been surprised (and impressed) by just how light the Boardman bikes are.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My Look = Really really light
    My Litespeed = Fairly light
    My Quintana Roo = Light for a TT bike
    My Commencal MTB = Not too bad considering
    My Muddy Fox Courier = Not too bad considering

I hope that insight into my bikes' weights is useful.
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    My granny has an old bike in her shed that weighs about 6o lbs, and she only just missed out on the hour record.

When I say missed out, I mean, wanted a longer sleep, so couldn't be arsed.

think she would have done about 400k though.

She only weights 95g and is made totally from stardust.

Just thought you might like to know.