Nasty driver gets more than he bargained for

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Had a classic this evening about 6:30pm - Mondeo man nearly drove right into the back of me when I was just starting on my training run. Was looking behind, a few cars were coming up quite quick in a 30 mph limit. One car went by close, then a second nipped through even closer to my arm, a van or camper thing approaching from the opposite direction was pretty much level with me. Looked behind and thought sh1t a blue Mondeo coming up quick no sign of slowing was going to hit me. Blimey :shock: ! So shout at him “Oi!” and end up cycling in the gutter to avoid being hit. Bloke inside starts effing and jeffing and gesticulating at me. I shout “Slow down!” at him. He drives straight at me again shouting "Come on then how hard are you now you fecking w*nker! Pull over I want a word with you" all the usual crap. Didn't but driver still behind me gesticulating so I pull over about 10 seconds later to let him pass as I thought he might actually drive into me but the a-hole pulls up behind and door flies open. He's about 5'8" white 30-35 stocky built like a barrel and a deranged look, blond skin head hair cut. A car overtaking his car nearly takes his opening door off. He comes toward me shouting he's going to do all this and that to me still effing and jeffing. "Fecking wa*nker etc...." "You certainly are mate" I replied. I had noted the registration and nearly got my camera out and started to cycle off as the driver is actually coming for me now. Realising he's not going to be able to keep up with me on foot he turns back to his car shouting “I’ll have you!” As he’s just got back in an old Range Rover V8 Mad Max style pulls close along side the Mondeo blocking traffic. I hear raised voices. I cycle off up the road. The Range Rover comes up alongside me. Out pops a friendly but well mean Fenland face "Are you alright mate? What's up with him? Then I realise it's a friendly bloke and his young son I know from the local supermarket we both shop at. Anyway I told him that Mondeo man behind was a head case who was driving like a cant and had come close to nearly hitting me. “Did he" says Range Rover man. I thank him for stopping and cycle on another 50 yds up the road shaking and pulling just off the road onto the edge of the petrol station forecourt. RR man pulls alongside me a few seconds later. I’m on his nearside shielded from the road. RR man and I have a little chat about what has just occured with Mondeo man and where I intend riding. Mondeo man then pulls up along his offside. Mondeo man is still shouting abuse at me and gesticulating reaching for his seatbelt. My friend in the Range Rover leans out his window at MM roaring like an angry grisly bear. Mondeo man sh1ts himself. He shouts “Feck you and sticks his middle finger up at Mad Max RR man and steams off. Bad move. So Mad Max Range Rover takes off after him. I waited for a bit for the dust to settle so to speak then carried on my route. About 5 minutes later I saw my mate in the old Range Rover coming back from where Mondeo man had gone then turned down the road I was going on further up looking in all the roads off it as he drove along. What a good all round bloke. RR man is not the sort of bloke you would want to mess with. I guess his friends refer to him as a gentle giant. Those who aren't friends......

I shall no doubt see my knight of the road and his family in the supermarket sometime this week. Maybe a small gift will be heading their way.

I tell you if Mad Max hadn’t been there then the situation would probably have become very ugly. There are real nutters out there, but occasionally there are people who don’t just walk or drive on by :D .

A few cars did drive on by before RR man arrived on the scene. I was shaking after they both left the petrol station forecourt. And I do a lot of riding and have seen a few incidents over the years, just not one quite so frightening for a while now. Perhaps it was because I chose to cycle in the dead zone just after rush hour when traffic is still busy but lighter and moving faster as drivers are in a real hurry.

Anyway did 30 miles in about 90 minutes so quite pleased in the end.

On the final run for home I was cranking it up to about 26-27 mph on the flat. A blue Honda Civic was approaching from behind a bit quick in a 40mph zone. It moves out to give me space only it’s just passed about the level of my front wheel then starts to brake and indicate to turn left off into a side road. Driver is an old grey rinse woman or bloke not sure as you can’t tell these days with the wrinklies. I shouts “Oi F%*$*”@?{(&£%$!” The car cuts left straight across my front wheel I’m still doing 25mph. I brake hard and try to turn around and follow it but going into the road it’s disappeared down I can’t see anything but quiet bungalows and manicured hedges. I remember the registration though so if I see it again…….. :twisted:
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• Epic,but i made it through

Its stories like this that make me think twice about taking up road cycling.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    It's stories like this that make me take my D-lock with me, and have it easily accessible.

* I do not condone violence. Especially with big D-locks. Most of this time, but if they deserve it, and are asking for it, they shall receive it!
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    White Line wrote:
    It's stories like this that make me take my D-lock with me, and have it easily accessible.

* I do not condone violence. Especially with big D-locks. Most of this time, but if they deserve it, and are asking for it, they shall receive it!

http://gothamist.com/2009/07/21/video_b ... ith_lo.php
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Fantastic form that lad has!

Kidding. It's late and I need to find stuff to do instead of studying.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    UMM PUNCTUCTATION and PARAGRAPHS would have made it a lot more readable.

Honestly white space qould make it easier to read and enjoy your rant
  • Last week, 6am early morning run on the road bike to the train station enjoying the first dry morning in weeks and the chance to let rip a little on the commute. Mis-judged a change of the lights at a junction ending up over the line a bit, but the junction is set back by nearly two car lengths so no danger to anyone. Waiting patiently for the green light, a bus driver pulls up behind and toots his horn. I look round and he points at something, I look puzzled and ignore him. As he pulls off and turns left he opens his window shouts I'm a fecking self abuser and gesticulates as much.

Wondering what on earth I've done I carry on the quite concerned I've done something well stupid. I have to ride past the bus station to get to the train and I saw the driver parked up so I went and asked him, politely and calmly I might add as I assumed I was in the wrong, and this guy just blew. He said I jumped the lights basically and it was when he made the statement 'you lot always bloody well do that' that I knew I was not only looking at a bus driver with a god complex, but a vindictive attitude too.

He claimed there was a forward facing camera that would show my actions but slowly changed his story when he realised 1) I wasn't going to back down and 2) My recounting of exactly what I did at the junction was far from his recollection. So then he started threatening me with the police if I pursued my complaint with the bus company getting more and more aggressive toward me when he realised I wasn’t backing down, which I must say I unintentionally made worse when I laughed out loud at him claiming it was illegal I had just taken a photograph of the front of his bus and was going to call the police for that alone!

His jeering smug smile when I asked if the camera would show him waving his fist and gesticulating at me gave his whole attitude away and exactly what he knows he can get away with. I've pursued the complaint but a week on I've gotten stony silence. I even said failure to contact me would result in me taking up the matter with my MP and the police but it seems bus companies think they are above the law and aren't accountable.

The company was Travel West Midlands. Anyone else had similar experiences with this company or other bus companies?
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    UMM PUNCTUCTATION and PARAGRAPHS would have made it a lot more readable.

Honestly white space qould make it easier to read and enjoy your rant

Hmm! People in glass houses?....What on earth does "qould" mean? Some sort of antipodean term is it? I think it should have read like this;" Honestly, white space could have made your rant far easier to read, and enjoy!
    dave
    1981. Posts: 270
    When the fuck did smacking someone around the head with a hoop of steel become acceptable?
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140

The company was Travel West Midlands. Anyone else had similar experiences with this company or other bus companies?

Yes but with a car accident. The bus went into the rear quarter of our company car. The bus driver was at fault but apparently they had "a bus full of passengers that say we were at fault". How the hell they could have seen what happened is beyond me. Nevertheless, after months and months of wrangling with the insurance companies, we were advised to accept that we were not going to win and to claim the repairs on our own insurance.

I have a family member who is a bus driver for TWM and he is a bit of a wazuck too.
    Still suffering with wind
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    1981. wrote:
    When the fark did smacking someone around the head with a hoop of steel become acceptable?

I guess about the time that smacking someone about the head with fists did?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • I have a family member who is a bus driver for TWM and he is a bit of a wazuck too.
    Brilliant - i nearly spat my coffee out reading that

In terms of stupid car drivers and cycling violence i tend to find that my disposition when cycling is far more aggressive than it is at other times. My fight or flight reflex is defaulted to fight, i have to try and make allowance for that when tempted to shout at poorly driven cars or old ladies crossing slowly in inappropriate places
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I hate to say it, but I keep almost coming back wheel to bumper with cars on my commute, which is single carriageway A-road all the way. Last one was on Friday. Climbing a short but steep hill I was overtaken (mainly considerately) by a few cars, followed by a wild revving then a massive screech of tyres. Looked under my arm to see a bloke with 2 kids in the car and a bike rack on the back of his estate swerving round me about a foot from my wheel! Fecking idiot!!!

After getting up the hill and through the village I was then overtaken by a HGV, who gave me a considerate amount of room as his cab passed me, but I had to brake to avoid going under the rear wheels of the trailer he was towing as he cut back into the lane.

I'd love to say they are isolated incidents, but this is just a typical commute really. Thankfully, there are plenty of quiet roads around Herts, Beds and Bucks for me to ride and enjoy when I'm not just trying to take the direct route to work
    1981. Posts: 270
    We're all aware on the Theory of Big I take it?

http://www.tibsnjoan.co.uk/Big.html

Always works for me, I ride in the road position of car's nearside wheels - they physically have to make a mental note to overtake, rather than slide past inches from my right elbow with my wheel in the gutter.

• The company was Travel West Midlands. Anyone else had similar experiences with this company or other bus companies?

Yeah, I've had issues with TWM before, as a passenger and a cyclist...bunch of idiots.
    There were about 7 of us out on a ride (yep, 7 is as close as Birmingham gets to a critical mass!) and some idiot bus driver decided it would be fun to buzz us on a roundabout, reasoning that it was OK to drive within 6 inches of us because he had his siren thingies going (incidentally, if you're not expecting them they can scare the cr*ap out of you, not good when there is a big bus 6 inches away from your elbow).

Passenger issues basically relate to them refusing to enforce their own rules and treating me like I was doing something wrong when I complained about being harrassed by other passengers.
  • I have a family member who is a bus driver for TWM and he is a bit of a wazuck too.
    Brilliant - i nearly spat my coffee out reading that

In terms of stupid car drivers and cycling violence i tend to find that my disposition when cycling is far more aggressive than it is at other times. My fight or flight reflex is defaulted to fight, i have to try and make allowance for that when tempted to shout at poorly driven cars or old ladies crossing slowly in inappropriate places

I didn't say that someone else quoted me and added it!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    just remember, busses usually have an emergency stop button by the door, always good for a laugh if you catch up an a-hole driver in traffic.

I think they should fit them to cars too :twisted:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    My thread's been hijacked :( .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    I was walking my bike down the pavement on Saturday when a cycle club went past, probably 20 or 30 in the group. A silver hot hatch ran up behind them and started bibbing. Unbelievably the pr i ck behind the wheel was on the phone. He then proceeded to pull out and overtake just as the road narrowed because of a row of parked cars on the other side of the street, whilst simultaneously bibbing and talking on his phone.

I wasn't even riding at the time but it wound me up so much I'm still fuming days later while I type this.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    sorry for the typographical error for qould = would. one space apart on a QWERTY keyboard.

:shock:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    1981. wrote:
    When the fark did smacking someone around the head with a hoop of steel become acceptable?

So far - merely by threats and waving of D Lock - I've warded off a number of loonies who otherwise might have pummeled me into the ground.

In other words - use of D Lock prevented violence.

I have no idea whether I could actually do it if someone called my bluff - I only hope I never have to find out.

It was two occurences a few years ago that have changed my atttitude on this - one time when a black cabbie got out of his cab and kicked the sh*t out of me just after he went over my back wheel when I was stopped at a red light - and the other was a pasenger who jumped off a routemaster in front of me - me narrowly avoiding hitting him - him punching me in the face for my trouble causing me to spend the whole morning in casualty having my faced stitched back together.

so far - use of D Lock has prevented a repeat of such violence. And that's good enough for me.
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    1981. wrote:
    We're all aware on the Theory of Big I take it?

http://www.tibsnjoan.co.uk/Big.html

Always works for me, I ride in the road position of car's nearside wheels - they physically have to make a mental note to overtake, rather than slide past inches from my right elbow with my wheel in the gutter.
    And it's often the smoothest part of the road, with little/no debris either. Just another added benefit.
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • AGNI
    Porgy wrote:
    so far - use of D Lock has prevented a repeat of such violence. And that's good enough for me.

Pretty much put me off the idea of commuting.

I would have to cycle into Wolverhampton which has more than its fair share of mouthbreathers
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    What's bibbing?
  • AGNI
    alex16zx wrote:
    What's bibbing?

Honking your horn.

(Said the actress to the bishop)
  • Woodchip
    alex16zx wrote:
    What's bibbing?
    Bibbing is bibbing. Kinda like tooting, but with a higher pitched horn.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bibbing is like a wedgie but for cyclists.

Either your bibshorts are way too small or you've just been picked up by the shoulder straps by an irate taxi driver.
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    Oh, beeping! :lol:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    AGNI - I find your avatar extremely disturbing. :?
  • Woodchip
    alex16zx wrote:
    Oh, beeping! :lol:
    No, beeping is higher pitched than bibbing.

Scooter = beeping
    Metro = bibbing
    Focus = tooting
    Jaguar = honking
    Articulated lorry = blasting it's horn

It's all graded you see.
  • AGNI
    Porgy wrote:
    AGNI - I find your avatar extremely disturbing. :?

Sorry. Was when i had a nasty bout of swine flu.

Will change it soon