What did you do this weekend?

kayakerchris
kayakerchris Posts: 361
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
A not so subtle way of letting me tell you about my weekend ;-)

I have been wanting to do a long ride for a few weeks so had set this weekend as the time. I sorted out a 100k ride from Derby to Tamworth and back. Set off about 9.00am after a big bowl of porridge, 1 stop on the hour for an energy bar. 30 mins in Tamworth for Panini, coffee and cookie and then set off again. 1 stop on the way back for an energy gel. 104.8k in just under 4 hours. Average speed cycling of 25.4kph. I was pretty pleased with myself. Funniest thing was arriving back at the house. I unclipped from the pedals and couldn't actually stand up, my legs kept going into spasm and cramp! However 10 minutes later and a warm shower made a lot of difference.

Then to top it off today my wife and I did the High Peak trail from Middleton top, only 23 miles at 8.5mph but still good to get out and the weather was a lot better than yesterday..

Anyway hope you all got some decent riding in.

Chris

1 Edit

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I went out with the informal cycling group that i've been on a few rides with and did 33.1 miles in 2:08hrs, average of 14.5mph keeping up with the rest of the group, managing to avoid the rain, though the roads were wet.

I split off from the group after 20 miles to make my way back (last time I stuck with them and bonked very badly with 18 miles to get home) and almost came a cropper on a slippery manhole cover turning out onto the main road.

Then after a hot bath I cleaned the bike, then decided to service The Lady's Giant Yukon that she crashed a few weeks back (bee flew into face, went over the bars). Unfortunately I ran out of degreaser so tried some washing up liquid in water (as suggested in the manual for the Park Tools chain cleaner kit). This did NOT work!

I finally got some citrus degreaser from the local farm shop(!) today as the LBS was out of stock and cant get any till next weekend(!) and finished the job.

I also found an old knackered folding bike abandoned by the side of the road that i've brought home to see if any life can be breathed back into it. The Lady thinks it's very cute.
    us0.png
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Went out on thusday done 24 miles after work, saturday a shorter 20 miler then today a 33 mile with a few demon hills thrown in. Experienced the wet on the saturday ride but tested out my new waterproof jacket but made the most of the sunnier weather as I could!

All in all just shy of 80 miles so went well. :D

BTW liking the old knackered folding bike, restore her and recycle!
  • Got bladdered basically.

Been away on a long break and felt I'd round it off in style. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    its strange i seem to feel better on a week day rather than on the weekend. was out saturday for a hill climb and down again 27miles but sadly my legs were not "firing on all cylinders" but my excuse could have been the gusty wind blowing all over the place. but i guess it was just fatigue. anyways going back to my speedplay zeros from the look keos.
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Still working my way up. 15 miles yesterday (was going to be 22 but cut things short as I was cramped up). Lovely little loop passing through about 7 local villages and only about 1mile of A road.
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Saturday..went shopping with better half for new TV / Entertainment Centre.. Love the 42" Panasonic plasma screen we got. Bring on next years TDF ..I can sit on my bike in the lounge next to it and show em how it's done....err not! :wink: Bought a new leather lounge suite after that.
    All up £3800.00 :roll: or so spent..and she complains when I want a new £40.00 shiney bit for my bike :shock: I suppose it is her inheritance to do with as she pleases Weather was cr@p here Saturday anyway

Sunday morning went out and did 26mile blast. 90 mins with a headwind and including my time in Halfords at my turnaround point. Came home, had lunch & did some DIY then went out with cycling buddy late afternoon and did another 22 miles. Then went and sat in hot tub for 1/2 hr with a tinnie (and Mrs) before dinner.
    Well you did ask....
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,994
    Cycled back from work on Friday (36 miles) and then back in on Sat.

Sat afternoon holiday prep - so took the kids off whilst the wife sorted cases etc.

Sun - did the skyride in Manchester with wife kids & brothers family. 22 miles whilst pulling a 2 & 4 years old and enough cr@p in the back to keep us fed & warm for a couple of months.

All said & told good road bike w.end (also left my bike in the car so might as well cycle home later)!
  • DV1
    DV1 Posts: 22
    60 miles on the road Saturday morning ,followed by a game of golf with my 8 year old in the afternoon .

Sunday out on the mountain bike and hit a few of the local trails with some of the lads (25 miles) , followed by a bike ride with the kids
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402

104.8k in just under 2 hours. Average speed cycling of 25.4kph.
    Chris

:?
    exercise.png
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    I fell down the stairs and twisted my ankle last week so have been out of commission. I felt OK on Sunday so braved it and headed out locally around Brentwood, Billericay, Herongate, Langdon Hills and Orsett.

I did 34 Miles in around 2hrs 20Mins, but I was riding a MTB. I was using a friends Road Bike whilst waiting for delivery of my new Orbea Onix, but after a fall damaging his current bike my friends spare had to go back to him - which obviously is more than fair. Right now it's MTB or nothing!

Hurry up get my Onix to me Orbea. I'm tired of having Road Bikes breeze past me!
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    104.8k in just under 2 hours. Average speed cycling of 25.4kph

I did a 100kms on Sat and then on Sunday and both were right around the 3 hours mark. So, when I read about your weekend I was impressed. 2 hours is fast.

I know it is Monday, and I was never any good at maths, but how does 25.4kph make 104.8 in just under 2 hours? Or did you mean 2 hours each way?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    fto-si wrote:

104.8k in just under 2 hours. Average speed cycling of 25.4kph.
    Chris

:?
    This is why it was in Beginners.... some training needed for mathematical computations as well...
    Wishin' for the day I can do 100k in < 2 hours..... I'd be out of here
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    My first proper ride on the new road bike. 60 miles just over 3 hours. First 30 was fine but the last half coming back was a little slower :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    My worst ride for a long time, considering I'm attempting my first 100k audax in 2 weeks :shock: . I blame it on the head wind :lol: .

Very blustery in parts and head on wind in long sections. Only managed 10.4 mph over 34.5 miles but included the infamous Loch Glow / Cleish hill. Drank 4 bottles of SiS and still managed to feel dehydrated. Also was very saddle sore, more so than usual - had to reapply Ozone cream at half way. Spent the rest of Sunday with a bad head and feeling like I'd been run over by a truck :lol: .

Not complaining though - the views were spectacular on most of the route and the sun was out.
  • Mooney
    Mooney Posts: 5
    I did 50 miles from Lewes to West Whittering beach on Sunday. Completely flat all the way yet into a 20 mile an hour headwind for the entire time! Averaged just under 15 mph.

Mooney
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dry all day Saturday, but otherwise tied up so left my ride till 20:00 hrs. Torrential rain commenced 20:05 hrs. Soaked to the skin by 20:15 so decided to press on and do the full 15 mile circuit. First downhill @ 30 mph, the rain was so heavy it was like being shot at. Then the salt started to leach out of the headband inside my helmet and into my left eye; stung like buggery! (must remember to wash the thing after sweaty rides in future) Did much of the rest of the ride with left eye shut; quite hard to judge speed / distance.
    Third serious downhill, 35 mph, into a foot of standing water at the bottom. Beautiful bow-wave which neatly filled both shoes with pleasantly warm water. Next downhill to a T junction, brakes appeared to be made of marzipan, so it was a good job nothing was coming (must investigate some Koolstop salmons before I kill myself) Uneventful ride home, apart from the lunatic speeding car which, passing in the opposite direction, managed to displace the contents of an immense puddle which hit me with considerable force at about armpit height. Marvellous!

Back home, stripped naked in the kitchen, everything into the washing machine then streaked upstairs for a hot shower, followed by my normal recovery routine of a pint of tea and a couple of bikkies. Wife clearly considering having me sectioned.

Sunday, up early to clean and lube the bike, but then again besieged by relatives. Unable to escape until 20:00hrs but this time it remained warm and sunny, so I managed a 30 miler and replaced some of the salt washed out of the headband on Saturday. Lovely sunset, loads of wildlife, fields full of toiling combine harvesters (they've seen the weather forecast)

Still think the wet ride was the most stimulating!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    On Friday a mate and I rode from Chertsey to Brighton and back, roundtrip of 107 miles in 6hr and 50mins at an average of 15.6mph. The return leg was about 10 mins faster than the outward leg which I think was down to the fish & chips and ice cream we had in Brighton

Then on Saturday I did the Evans Ride It event at Great Missenden in Bucks, another 26 miles in 3hrs 22mins, average 7.6 mph.

Finally Sunday my usual club run of 55 miles in 3hrs 20mins, average 16.6mph.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Hour on the Turbo Friday night, then 65 miles on Sunday with a few hills at the end.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Although I've been cycling a good few years to keep fit I thought I'd post this here as well,having done it this w/e, to encourage anyone interested in them or contemplating a club run with their local club.

Taken from 'Training'

As a result of this post I've just been out with http://www.gregarios.co.uk/. First time ever on a club run (apart from a run out with RPCC :wink: ). I was made to feel very welcome and had a great time. There was a range of ages and abilities and everyone is welcome. Went out through the country lanes of Herts' with a leisurely cake stop (scrambled eggs on toast,choc' fudge cake and a cappo' to be precise). 82 miles for me from home and back at 17mph ave. I will definately be going out with them again and if you're interested then I recommend you give it a go.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • 20 miles into work and 30 mile hilly route back on Thursday knowing the weather was going to be crap on Saturday. Then a 50 mile ride on Sunday.

Was very windy this weekend, but with the sun out who cares!
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Cocktails, 4 mile run and bought baby gear.

No cycling :cry:
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    I went to Donington for the super league formula, but what made the day was the classic F1 cars. James Hunt & Niki ????? Remember the joke? Only problem I've come back with a bright red face. :oops:
    Justice for the 96
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Manchester SkyRide just for fun on the Sunday

3785822740_d21018e71e.jpg
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Did a 123 miles club ride to Filey on saturday, was fast and wet, nearly 19mph average over that distance is a first for me.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Was that to filey and back will, also did you guys take any breaks and how long did it take you?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Garz wrote:
    Was that to filey and back will, also did you guys take any breaks and how long did it take you?

Yea there and back, it was only 90 something miles but I commute from near Selby, we only took 1 break for lunch and it took around 6 hours 29mins at 18.9mph average.

The 20ish mails we had to go to filey I started upping the pace so I upped it to about 28mph, was going up drags at a constant 25ish the group leader said it was ok to go off as they all had Garmins so it was fine, so he said it was ok so I went off, he said he was gritting his teeth to keep up with me, in the end we averaged 19.8 to filey. We went into the cafe and it had a giant grape vine on the roof, lots of mouldy grapes though and the flys where really getting on my nerves :evil:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    freehub wrote:
    Garz wrote:

Yea there and back, it was only 90 something miles but I commute from near Selby, we only took 1 break for lunch and it took around 6 hours 29mins at 18.9mph average.

The 20ish mails we had to go to filey I started upping the pace so I upped it to about 28mph, was going up drags at a constant 25ish the group leader said it was ok to go off as they all had Garmins so it was fine, so he said it was ok so I went off, he said he was gritting his teeth to keep up with me, in the end we averaged 19.8 to filey. We went into the cafe and it had a giant grape vine on the roof, lots of mouldy grapes though and the flys where really getting on my nerves :evil:

"Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana"
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Finally got back on my road bike after four weeks on my new MTB tackling mud and rain on the commute instead of tarmac. Had a quick blast over a 15 miler I haven't done for a few months and took a curious attempt at a monster set of climbs I haven't done in a while.

Four weeks hauling a weighty MTB around seems to have paid off doing the climbs three gears higher than previously, no changing down and no dying over the bars at the top.

All in all, a damned good ride and it felt so good to be back on the road bike. Even managed a short run right after too (although fk me did I pay the price the next day!).
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Swimming with the kids on Saturday evening.

Then the 100k version of the Pendle Pedal on Sunday.........

I completed it last year without putting a foot down, but cramp made me walk about 50 metres of the route this year and it ruined my day!! Ive ridden 100 miles plus on numerous occasions and have completed many sportives, but the Pendle Pedal takes some doing!!