Anyone know this cyclist?

2»

Comments

• Please also remember that cycling isn't particularly dangerous. There isn't really any more need to carry ID than "normal".

As a cyclist it's cool, but ultimately unproductive, to present it as a high risk activity. The best way to make yourself safer on a bike is to get all your mates to ride, too: more cyclists, better awareness, better understanding, better facilities etc.

Cycling is "fun", not "dangerous"...

Cheers,
    W.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2009
    Please also remember that cycling isn't particularly dangerous. There isn't really any more need to carry ID than "normal".

As a cyclist it's cool, but ultimately unproductive, to present it as a high risk activity. The best way to make yourself safer on a bike is to get all your mates to ride, too: more cyclists, better awareness, better understanding, better facilities etc.

Cycling is "fun", not "dangerous"...

Cheers,
    W.

One of the 'tag' sites informs us .........................

The number of people injured or killed when out doing sports is alarming.

Yeah, and the s*** some retailers will come out with to sell cheap c rap is disgusting. :evil:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Does anyone actually know what happened to the cyclist?
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I'll usually have my phone (with a couple of ICE numbers), wallet with bank cards and driving licence (remember in NI they have photos on them), and also my Everyday Cycling photo-id card.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    I have a laminated card in my jersey pocket with my name, the fact i have no allergies etc, boss&mum&girlfriends phone numbers, easy enough to make on your pc and a few quid at a local stationary shop to get it laminated (or if you work in a big office free!)
  • When riding or running alone I tend to take my photo driving licence, slipped into one of the stash pockets on the back of my jersey...
    My training blog, videos and other bike related stuff,
    www.bikesr4riding.com -- Twitter Feed
  • AndyManc wrote:

One of the 'tag' sites informs us .........................

The number of people injured or killed when out doing sports is alarming.

Yeah, and the s*** some retailers will come out with to sell cheap c rap is disgusting.

They may have had a point though...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 905442.ece
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    NGale wrote:
    nick1962 wrote:
    My Giro helmet came with a sticker to complete where your own and NOK details can be written and stuck inside.All still there and legible.Why not retrofit a DIY version :D ?!

slight problem with a label being on the inside of the helmet is the fact that if you have a suspected spinal injury and are unconscious but breathing, no paramedic worth his registration will take the helmet off on scene. Also once you were in hospital they are more likely to split the helmet in order to remove it safely and thus you could lose the label

The RoadID and dogtag system are by far the better systems as they can be immediatly seen and acted upon on scene by the police. They can also be worn at any time, so even if you are involved in an incident in the street on a friday night you can be quickly identified.

Also all this stuff of a ICE number in a mobile. Think about it is a paramedic or police officer really going to bother with mucking about with a mobile phone to find a contact number in the inital aftermath, unlikely. Also what happens if your mobile becomes smashed in the incident. Kind of renders it useless.

The ICE system is actually endorsed by the Emergency Services as one of the easiest ways they contact people.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    And here is me think you riders always carried your phones at all times ...

They act like a personal Id ...even if you phone the Police etc they know who you are and number ..
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    girv73

the new style uk driving licences have the photo on them as well. although i do not know how many of the old paper kind are still around...i would reckon most folks have the photocard now.

colintrav

as discussed...if you have a crash badly and break your phone then it is as good as useless.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I can't believe so many people commute with no ID on them. Don't you take wallets to work? Stop for shopping, or go out to the pub afterward?
  • dog tags sound good.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Tino4444 wrote:
    FeynmanC wrote:
    That's something to think on...i never take ID with me when i'm on a ride. I think perhaps I should, just in case.

Anyone else carry ID?

No I dont actually, its where to carry it thats the problem. But maybe i should look into it,

Tino

I carry two 'dog tag's' (well luggage tags actually).

On the first, a red tag, there is my name and address on one side and emergency contact information on the other. On the other, a green tag, is alergy advice and details of 'critical' medication. I carry the tags are on the laces of my shoes.

I also have two numbers prefixed with 'ICE' (in case of emergency) in my mobile phone.

See:

http://www.pettags.co.uk/index.php?act= ... oductId=27

Bob