Lithium Grease (spray can)

J55TTC
J55TTC Posts: 224
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Is this stuff OK to use?

I like the handyness of spray grease in a can and I use it on the suspension bushes of my car with no porblems.

When you spray it on is quite runny and penetrates into cavities etc, then half hour later its nice and thick.

Any comments?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i dont use any spay lube near any bike.

it can cause more problems than it cures.

strip inspect lube and refit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Especially lithium grease: bad for many bike seals, and tends to weld static parts together.

Big pot of teflon grease for me.
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    Cool, thanks for the feedback, I guess its so easy to strip and grease a bike.

After swinley yesterday there was just a fair amount of crud on the front mech which made gritty noises if you know what I mean. Sprayed the bike down to remove everything but wanted to relube the chain and mechs.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Grease is for bearings, not chains or other moving parts. Use chain lube of some description for the chain, not grease...!

How much of a small fortune you decide to spend on your chosen bike lubricant is up to you. I'm sure pretty much equivalent products can be had somewhere that's not a bike shop for much less money, but it's knowing what's suitable that's the problem...