Help! XTR M970 chainset

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited July 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm replacing the middle ring tomorrow on my chainset and before i do i want to ask - can this be done without taking the chinset off the bike? I used to be able to do so with my old XT chainset.

Comments

• krav
    krav Posts: 35
    Dont think so. I replaced mine 2 weeks ago and had to take mine off the bike. Cant see another other way i could have done it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is not like it is hard to remove that crankset!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    No but if you don't have the tool that came with it, it can be rather entertaining. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Barkey
    Barkey Posts: 339
    yeah tell me about I had a good laugh with my lbs about it. I baught a MRP bash gaurd, only to find I did not have left crank arm removal tool. So I let my lbs do it only to find they didn't have one either lol.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but the 970 cranks just use an allen key to remove the arm.

But they do have a different adjustment system to the rest of the HT2 cranks.

but the problems only occur when refitting is required. (if you dont have strong fingers).

Removal is easy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Sort of, the tool that i got with the chainset has a screw thread on the opposite side, you screw that in to push the left hand arm out otherwise the fun begins, though it's not that hard.

Just curious do you grease the splines?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X