Fork travel length

Danielsan
Danielsan Posts: 35
edited July 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm currently looking for a fork for an Identiti Mr Hyde frame.

Read online that the max travel for the frame should be 130mm.

Is this just recommended or essential? What is the effect of using a fork with more travel? Is it just a change to the riding position or is it that it wouldn't fit?

Cheers,

Dan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which year is the frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    If that's what they recommend then it's probably best to keep it within that limit. Longer travel would rake the front end out and possibly make the geometry of the frame feel a little odd. It also may invalidate any warranty as running forks too long can create extra stress on the tubes.
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Going to 140mm may be OK BUT it will alter the geometry, making it much slower steering. More importantly longer forks could but stresses into the frame that it was no designed for so put those 160mm forks down and contact the frame manufacturer before you change anything 8)
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    eventually if you have to much travel for the frame the headtube could snap and well then your stuffed.
  • Danielsan
    Cheers chaps.

I'm gonna go for a Pike with the U-Turn so I can stick to 130mm!

The frame is (or will be!) the 2007 model... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15686
  • Danielsan
    Sorry can't do those fancy links!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you can just leave a space between the link and any text.

Pike would be good. for general riding 120-130 is nice but when you hit some big DH 150 if OK.

I have used mine with both 130 and 150 BUT it is the earlier one with the gussets on the head tube.

Build info and pics somewhere in the Your rides section.

settled with 130mm for all use now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown