Scott genius 40 or Lapierre 314

kmcd21
kmcd21 Posts: 105
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have a friend who will sell me his 314 , 1 month old ridden once which is a at £1800, bargain! Do I stick to my plan of getting the Scott..

Does anyone ride the Scott ? It is quite a complex bike, which sometimes leads me to think that issues arise more frequently.
Enduro- YT Capra AL1- 2016
Road- Boardman Team Carbon- 2010
XC- Gary Fisher Marlin- 2002

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    the lapierre is an amazing bike no doubt. the genius has good reviews and is a very good bike, fast,great handling and great components. but the shock on the back worrries me too cos you never know whats going to happen with such a complex bit of kit. so for peace of mind simple and overall amazing bike the 314 is for you. but if you want something out of this world get the genius 40. personnaly the 314 would be my choice of bike.
    also the best thing to do is to try out the 314 in your local trail. if you like it take it but if you don't like it i would demo the genius.
    hope this helps
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    I'm not sure I'd like to have a bike which has such a complex rear shock in the firing line of all the dirt which comes off the rear wheel.

Get the Zesty 8)
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    The Zesty would be my choice.

I'm curious to know why someone would be selling such a great bike that has only been ridden once... :roll:
  • kmcd21
    I had my mind almost made up before i posted this, to go with Zesty. Suppose thats what makes the forum so good! can go a long way to help you make right choice!!

Reference why my mate is selling it, basically because he needs fast cash, his flatmate moved out leaving him with all the rent !
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i'd be so gutted if i had to sell that bike.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    just bought the zest albeit a 514.....fantastic piece of kit. I test rode the Scott too...but Zesty for me all the way.
  • kmcd21
    Its got to be ! have not heard anything but praise for this machine!
  • Dazza993
    Dazza993 Posts: 99
    I can vote for the Zesty. I've a 514 - fantastic piece of kit.

You say you mate selling it for £1800 ? But they're (314's) only £1899 retail and I know a Lapierre dealer in hull were offering 10% discount for cash (in May) which makes it £1710 for a brand new bike. Not sure if there are many bikes around any more but worth checking.

I test rode a Genius 20 & 50 and whilst very very nice bikes esp. the 20, I reckon the Zesty 314 would have the measure of the Genius 40 (plus it's cheaper). I'm sure you'd be very happy with a Genius 40 but I'd echo the comments above about a Scott specific rear shock - though my LBS informed me you get a 3 year warranty on the shock providing you have it officially serviced at least once in it's first year.

Try em both if you can.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Happy with my 314 but as the poster above says, £1800 is what I'd expect to pay for one brand new. I'd at least make sure the warranty is transferrable.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I think I know the retailer in Hull that you mention.

Although I had to go through Evans with the ride to work, I spoke wiht the Hul chaps. Extremely knowledgable, excellent advice and well worth speaking with them/visiting.