advice on crankset comaptability and size

turneround
turneround Posts: 83
edited August 2009 in Workshop
can anyone let me know if its ok to mix up shimano and campy as i have full campy gear but haev been offered a cheap shimano compact chainset. Also i'm curerently running a 170 chainset, what difference would having a 172.5 make (again can get one cheap!!), im 5ft 7 riding a 51 cervelo
cheers
Moots Routt RSL -summer days
Moots Farwell - trail
Lynskey GR270 ti- gravel
Ibis Mojo HD3 - rough stuff

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Yes you can mix them up as long as the shifters and cassette match.

In theory the longer cranks are for people with longer legs but you probably won't notice the difference between 170 and 172.5. Just drop your saddle by 2.5mm.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you just need the correct BB for the chainset. No problems mixing any double chainset with any double drivetrain (within reason)

some people can perceive crank length changes, some can't. It won't kill you but 170s are probably a better bet in the long term.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I've just switched (after about 15 years) from 172.5mm to 175mm cranks - can't as I've noticed/felt any difference whatsoever.

As to cranks and different manufacturers drive trains - as previously stated - so long as the BB is suitable for the crank then there shouldn't be any problems mixing manufacturers. So long as the shifter and rear mech are matched (and the cassette) all should be well.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    If your getting on and a little less flexible. I would be wary of an increase in crank length arm but not a decrease. Just got rid of a 172.5 compact crankset for the etape caledonia having ridden 170's for the best part of 20 years and now back to that size. Much happier. Its actually easier to spin the gear with a shorter crank arm.

Hope that helps.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    If your getting on and a little less flexible. I would be wary of an increase in crank length arm

Well, I'm definitely not 'getting on a little' :!:

:lol: