Leaving a bike out in the rain?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Bit of an odd question.

But is it just physcological or will leaving a pretty clean bike out in the very heavy rain for about 5 hours cause any problems? Will it get into bearings and just make the bike sluggish? I know the easy question would be to just put it somewhere dry but I cant cause there is no where, where it's stored my parents took it out and slapped it in the rain and wont let me put it back :roll: , now it's all soaked and I gotta be using it tonight, dont want it to be all sluggish now

Yes I know I ride it in the wet but was thinking maybe having it sitting in the wet for hours on end might not be good, not to mention rusting on the chain.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited July 2009
    As long as you clean and lube it regularly it should be fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    freehub wrote:
    Yes I know I ride it in the wet but was thinking maybe having it sitting in the wet for hours on end might not be good, not to mention rusting on the chain.

perhaps some sort of cover might be a good idea. I'm pretty sure plastic sheeting is waterproof.....
  • gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    Buy a bike shed and put it in your mum's garden.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I don't think the odd soaking is going to hurt it, but if it lives outside all the time I wouldn't think it'll do it much good.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I have my winter bike and commuter bike in the shed, putting my CAAD9 in place would simply scratch it to hell.

Yes softlad plastic sheet is waterproof....
    MrChuck wrote:
    I don't think the odd soaking is going to hurt it, but if it lives outside all the time I wouldn't think it'll do it much good.

No it dont live outside.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ find your parents car keys and wind all their windows down in the rain, leave the bonnet and boot open and see what they think about it!

I left mine and my girlfriend's newly restored classic raleighs at my parents' house for one night, I came back in the morning and they had plonked them down on the grass in the rain, I was not happy!

Building a little shed is easy enough, you can get pre-fabricated ones if you don't fancy doing it yourself either. In the mean time some plastic sheet will do, or just try to persuade them to let you put it in the back in the house for a couple of days!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I was a student living in a shared terraced house in Birkenhead my bike lived outside in the yard for 3 years. Merseyside isn't the driest part of the country, so I covered the bike with an enormous survival bag, and it was just fine.

I wouldn't recommend leaving it unprotected on a permanent basis; you'll get rust forming on the chain, sprockets and mechs, and if that also happens to the steel components of brakes and shifters you could have problems.

One soaking won't compromise the bike's performance though.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    keef66 wrote:
    When I was a student living in a shared terraced house in Birkenhead my bike lived outside in the yard for 3 years. Merseyside isn't the driest part of the country, so I covered the bike with an enormous survival bag, and it was just fine.

I wouldn't recommend leaving it unprotected on a permanent basis; you'll get rust forming on the chain, sprockets and mechs, and if that also happens to the steel components of brakes and shifters you could have problems.

3 years? I'm surprised the bike wasn't nicked after 3 days in Birkenhead.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ah, but that was back in the olden days when people in terraced houses could leave their doors open secure in the knowledge that all the scallies were up in Formby burgling rich people.

It was nicked 4 years later from Sainsburys car park in broad daylight.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    freehub wrote:
    Yes softlad plastic sheet is waterproof....

we have a winner.....
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Will,
    Put it in your Mum's bedroom and let her sleep in the rain - she won't go rusty or get sluggish bearings... :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    The only things I'm careful to cover are my Brooks leather saddles.

We do have a proper bike cover for when we're out in the campervan though they're uncovered in transit. They'll only come to harm if you leave them out unattended for weeks.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Buy a bike cover for when its outside, you can pick them up for around £10.

As for hurting it more harm is done riding in the rain as the movement can pull moisture into internal parts.
    A couple of weeks ago I rode 45 miles in pouring rain and my bottom bracket filled up from somewhere.
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    keef66 wrote:

3 years? I'm surprised the bike wasn't nicked after 3 days in Birkenhead.

Crime in Birkenhead? NEVER! :lol:
  • mrdoofer
    mrdoofer Posts: 71
    If you want to destroy your bike leave it out in the rain. I've done it myself when I moved to a new house and was a bit slow sorting the shed out, all the allen bolts rusted and piece by piece the bike broke as it rusted. In the winter months it's suprising how quicky rust can develop.