Mixing Shimano 10 speed with Campag 11?

bobbymeister
bobbymeister Posts: 186
edited August 2009 in Workshop
For no other reason than I like it, I have a desire to run a new Dura Ace 7900 chainset with a Campag 11 speed drivetrain.
I know it's an idea that's abhorrent to the purists out there, but is there any technical reason why it wouldn't work?
I understood that the new 11 speed chain links have the same internal dimensions as the 10, which leads me to think it would be okay.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    If you've got all 11 speed why run a 10 speed cassette? Do you just prefer 10 speed?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The DA chainset should work well with Campag 11. James_London runs a DA SRM with his 11spd and apparantly he has no issues.

The DA chainset are IMO the best things Shimano make.
    freehub wrote:
    If you've got all 11 speed why run a 10 speed cassette? Do you just prefer 10 speed?

Read the post, Will, he never mentioned a 10spd cassette.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I miss read it as cassette, I'm sure it was c/set or something at first.
  • bobbymeister
    bobbymeister Posts: 186
    Thanks guys.
    It did say c/set at first, your not going mad!
    A bit of clever editing removed any confusion.
  • Just a quick update on this for anyone who is pondering the compatibility of Shimano/Campag 10/11 speed.
    Basically, it works perfectly.
    Shimano nine speed front mech, Dura Ace 7900 chainset, Chorus 11 speed ergos, cassette and chain and a 10 speed record rear mech.
    So it is perfectly possible to take a 'shortcut' to 11 if you want to...
  • I can confirm the DA 10 speed chainset works with 11-speed but I'm surprised your rear shifting is good with 11-speed Ergos and a 10-speed rear mech. The pull ratios are different between 10 and 11-speed (ie the movement of the cage per mm of cable pulled).

Interesting to hear though... Thanks
  • I've not tried 11 speed with an 11 speed rear mech, of course, but I cannot actually believe it could work any better.
    Perfect I said and perfect I meant.