Small Block 8 Wear Like Over Time?

blister pus
blister pus Posts: 5,780
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
What do these puppies wear like?

Lets say you were doing a mix of trail and road.

I like the look of them but with a 4mm high tread I'm really dubious. :?

Comments

• drumon
    drumon Posts: 175
    2 months regular trail and road riding. few hours per week tarmac, gravel, rough stone tracks.
    No sign of wear, at all.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yep, same here, based on current usage (few hundred miles) these don't actually wear at all :lol: I guess the load is spread over a wide area, or something. But you're right, the tread is low so even though it wears slowly that'll probably reduce the lifespan a bit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Thanks. I'm torn between them and Sauserwind Controls. I can see it being a flick of a coin. :roll:

What's the puncture protection like on them Eights?

And what are the side walls like?
  • Northwind
    Not had a puncture at all with them myself, but I got mine lightly used and they did have some old punctures, thorn holes... Sidewalls seem fine to me but then I've never had a problem with any sidewalls on any tyres, so maybe that's just me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kitenski
    kitenski Posts: 218
    I've got these on my new Anthem, I found them a bit slippy, so am mucking around with tyre pressues, what do other people run them at?
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    edited July 2009
    Only been running these tyres for a few weeks (on the rear of my fs and ht) but i've been really impressed - really make you want to go faster and faster and I havnt found any problems with the swamp like conditions this summer is providing either. Get them :)
  • Northwind
    kitenski wrote:
    I've got these on my new Anthem, I found them a bit slippy, so am mucking around with tyre pressues, what do other people run them at?

I found mine a bit troublesome on roots and the like, so I knocked 5psi off my normal (which to be fair is quite high) and that sorted that out without slowing them down too much. It does depend what you're riding on though.
    Uncompromising extremist