Road newcomer - Allez 2010 27, or other options?

Joe86
Joe86 Posts: 180
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hello to you all.

I have been considering buying a road bike for quite some time. I do a bit of recreational running, and I remember how I miss cycling too, so I have decided to get a little serious and do some research.

I have been looking into potential bikes, and I initially looked at the Allez 2010 24, but did a bit of reading around the bike and realised its gear system isn’t great value for money. Before I had any idea of the cost of an acceptable road bike, I kind of considered £500 to be what I would like to spend. But I slowly realised it may not be enough and didn't want to spend as much as £630. But I have always thought it is better to go for a slightly more expensive, but ultimately superior value in the long run. Are there any other bikes that may be suitable for a newcomer? Maybe less expensive, and maybe from another company? I had read that there are some nice deals on the 2009 specialized, but I didn't have much luck finding them. I will be using it on flat ground most of the time, and I’m more of a high intensity and speed rider than going on 30-40 mile rides. I will probably be using the bike to do 20 k rides for fun, and not competing, nor using it to travel, but I would like to have something that I won’t be disappointed in, down the line, maybe in a year’s time.

Also, is it a good idea to go to a shop to buy? I haven’t ridden on a road bike, so I’m wondering whether I might be best to go and try them in store to see how they feel. I’m based in Eastbourne/Brighton, so I will have to try and maybe find a few decent stores.

Thanks, this does seem like a great forum.

Joe

Comments

• daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    my first road bike is a 2009 allez tripple. its a great bike - im sure you wont be disappointed with it.
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Welcome to the forum Joe.

The Spesh that you have looked at, does have a good frame, but like you say, the gears are at the basic end of things. Not to say that they won't do the job. I have them on an old hack bike, and they are still going strong (Sora).

My neighbour was asking the same sort of question, and after having a look around, it looks as though a more realistic budget is about £600 - £700.

Anything from Trek, Specialized, Scott (in general, well known names) should be ok, as they spend a lot in research & development. Just looking at a typical example, the Trek 1.5 (2010 model) with Tiagra gears is £775.
    A couple bikes I did notice, that seemed good value were the Boardman Comp (£650), and the Focus Variado Compact (£600). The Boardmans are available from certain Halfords stores, but sometimes their cycle staff aren't very knowledgeable (quick scan of this forum will tell you that !), so you could go and try one. However, with the Focus, they are only available online from Wiggle, so that's a bit more risky.

Bike prices have increased significantly in the last year or so because of exchange rates.

It's a good idea to look at 2009 models, as you have said above. I'm sure some forum users, who are local to you, will recommend some shops on further replies below.

And it's worth going to get fitted up for a bike. Make sure your getting the right size.

Cheers and good luck. :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I have a 2008 Allez and I still love it. I would go for the Compact rather than the triple though if you are going to be riding on flat roads.
  • Joe86
    Welcome to the forum Joe.

The Spesh that you have looked at, does have a good frame, but like you say, the gears are at the basic end of things. Not to say that they won't do the job. I have them on an old hack bike, and they are still going strong (Sora).

My neighbour was asking the same sort of question, and after having a look around, it looks as though a more realistic budget is about £600 - £700.

Anything from Trek, Specialized, Scott (in general, well known names) should be ok, as they spend a lot in research & development. Just looking at a typical example, the Trek 1.5 (2010 model) with Tiagra gears is £775.
    A couple bikes I did notice, that seemed good value were the Boardman Comp (£650), and the Focus Variado Compact (£600). The Boardmans are available from certain Halfords stores, but sometimes their cycle staff aren't very knowledgeable (quick scan of this forum will tell you that !), so you could go and try one. However, with the Focus, they are only available online from Wiggle, so that's a bit more risky.

Bike prices have increased significantly in the last year or so because of exchange rates.

It's a good idea to look at 2009 models, as you have said above. I'm sure some forum users, who are local to you, will recommend some shops on further replies below.

And it's worth going to get fitted up for a bike. Make sure your getting the right size.

Cheers and good luck. :D

Hey CMan, thanks for your response. I will take a look at those, I had planned to take a look at the Boardman range as I had heard a few good things, and maybe Treks. I have an uncle who does a few triathlons, so I'm going to speak with him tonight, and maybe he can reccomend me a few places to go to as well. The hard task with many items these days is often finding the ones you want in local stores, and I always felt a bit funny about potentially testing models and similar models in stores and then buying online lol.

I'm 1.86 m, so I'm guessing I would maybe need a 58 cm from the criteria I have read? But as you mention, I think it would be wise to try and get fitted by a good local dealer. Is there often much variation with the 'general reccomended sizes' found on the various online dealers (listed below) and what you would get when fitted?

Bike Size Rider Height (Inches) Rider Height (cm)
    49cm 5ft 0 - 5ft 3 152 - 160
    52cm 5ft 3 - 5ft 6 160 - 168
    54cm 5ft 6 - 5ft 9 168 - 175
    56cm 5ft 9 - 6ft 0 175 - 183
    58cm 6ft 0 - 6ft 3 183 - 191
    61cm 6ft 3 - 6ft 6 191 - 198

Anyway, thanks again :)
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    I started off looking at The Allez triple, but I do think the Focus Variado at Wiggle and the Be One Mistral at chainreactions are better value for money.
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • Joe86
    Dave-M wrote:
    I started off looking at The Allez triple, but I do think the Focus Variado at Wiggle and the Be One Mistral at chainreactions are better value for money.

Hey Dave, I read a few websites after recieving that reccomendation from Cman, and the bike does seem to be quite well regarded from the user reviews I had read. In which areas would you say it is better than the Allez Triple?
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Remember also, when sizing bikes sloping tubes make a difference to frame sizes. Best thing is to be measured for one at your LBS. I'm 5'10 and would probably need a 54cm frame, but I have just been measured on a bike jig, and the ideal was 52cm with a sloping tube. Having ridden the bike for some miles it does feel as comfortable as my old 22"(55cm) bike?
    dave
  • Joe86
    skinson wrote:
    Remember also, when sizing bikes sloping tubes make a difference to frame sizes. Best thing is to be measured for one at your LBS. I'm 5'10 and would probably need a 54cm frame, but I have just been measured on a bike jig, and the ideal was 52cm with a sloping tube. Having ridden the bike for some miles it does feel as comfortable as my old 22"(55cm) bike?
    dave

Well I have just found a local store that stocks some of the ones I have been looking at. As expected, no Boardman or Variado, but they have the 2010 range of the Specialized and a few other brands of 2009 bikes. The prices look as good as on other websites.

I also measured inside leg and I'm 33, so I tend to fall into 58 on both height and leg, but I will try and pop down to that store and try out some of the bikes. Do most of you have problems finding the bikes you are interested in are only avaliable online?
  • CumbrianMan
    Hiya Joe

Re the frame size, you just need to be careful how the manufacturer sizes them up, as quite often they can be different. One might size theirs completely different to another manufacturer (centre to top, or centre to centre).

I'm 5ft 10in, and from the chart you show, I'd be a 56cm, but the Scott CR1 Pro I have is a 54cm, or as Scott call it, a medium. See, perfect example - Scott say small, medium, large etc, and other companies give a size.

A good LBS should be able to guide you, and explain the sayings (centre to top, etc), and there's various stuff on the Internet if you do a search.

Cheers
    Alan

• CumbrianMan
    Joe

Had another thought. Does your company operate the Cycle 2 Work scheme (or similar).

Basically, you can get a bike up to the value of £1000, and you don't pay tax and NI on it, and the deductions are made from your salary.

My company does it thro' Halfords (not the best service, I know), but I got a £1000 MTB, that I pay approx £14 something for a month over 3 years. Think it totals approx £540.

It would mean you could get something a bit better (carbon frame for example). You are supposed to use it for cycling to work mainly. I'd be surprised if they'd bother to check.

:D

• t0ph0id
    t0ph0id Posts: 191
    If you find after trying out the specialized that you need a 54cm then I may have a 2009 Allez Elite for sale. It comes wilth full 105 gearing. Only a few months old and a few hundred miles.
  • Dave-M
    Joe86 wrote:
    Dave-M wrote:
    I In which areas would you say it is better than the Allez Triple?

The gears.

Allez uses Sora shifters and gearsets, well in 2009 it did, it may well use a lesser spec now.

The Focus and Be One bikes I mentioned both have Tiagra shifters and gearsets.

When I sat on a bike with Sora shifters, I didn't like the way you had to shift down the gears. It would seem you always have to have your hand on top of the bars.
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • Joe86
    Dave-M wrote:
    Joe86 wrote:
    Dave-M wrote:

The gears.

Allez uses Sora shifters and gearsets, well in 2009 it did, it may well use a lesser spec now.

When I sat on a bike with Sora shifters, I didn't like the way you had to shift down the gears. It would seem you always have to have your hand on top of the bars.

Hey :)

I have been considering a few options on this forum, and did a bit of reading around the Focus Variado Compact 2009, it does seem like a better deal to what I original intended to buy (Allez 2010 24 / or Triple). Anyway, I haven't ever had a road bike before, and I would like to try and get the right size, and not end up regretting my purchase. I'm tempted (for the luxury of the fitting a store would provide) to go to a LBS and get a different bike as my LBS stocks the Specialized 2010 range at reasonable prices. On the other hand, the Variado is also a little more tempting as its cheaper and reported to be a better bike. I also have read the gears/shifters are significantly better on the Variado. I’m kind of stuck and unsure what to do.

I'm 6.1 (1.85 m) and my inside leg (from crotch to floor is 35.5, and to my ankle it is 33). I'm wondering whether the following might be too small (Wiggles size criteria for the bike):
    XL/58 Inside leg 33-35" Height 6'0-6'2 feet"

Is it likely I may need the bigger size:
    XXL/60 35"+ 6'2"+

I'm interested, but I don't want to end up getting the wrong size etc, and I would be appreciated if you could give me a bit of advice. Have people of similar height and leg length been ok with an XL58, or had to go smaller or bigger? Interested to hear the experiences of people who have either tested or bought the bike.

Cheers
  • Dave-M
    I'm the last person to give advice....I've not bought one yet either.

A 58 frame size suits you perfect.

You could always get the 58 inch frame on a 7 day test ride which is what I intend to do.
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Joe86
    Go to a shop and try some.
    I'm 6'1" and ended up with a giant M frame (usually for up to 5'10") because it fits best.
  • CumbrianMan
    Joe, I reckon the 58 from Focus should be OK.

Try this website:-
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

Cheers

• Joe86
    Joe, I reckon the 58 from Focus should be OK.

Try this website:-
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

Cheers

Thanks for that, will get out the tape tomorrow and see how it comes out! Looks like something I was wishing for.
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    Joe86 wrote:
    Dave-M wrote:
    Joe86 wrote:
    Dave-M wrote:

The gears.

Hey :)

I have been considering a few options on this forum, and did a bit of reading around the Focus Variado Compact 2009, it does seem like a better deal to what I original intended to buy (Allez 2010 24 / or Triple). Anyway, I haven't ever had a road bike before, and I would like to try and get the right size, and not end up regretting my purchase. I'm tempted (for the luxury of the fitting a store would provide) to go to a LBS and get a different bike as my LBS stocks the Specialized 2010 range at reasonable prices. On the other hand, the Variado is also a little more tempting as its cheaper and reported to be a better bike. I also have read the gears/shifters are significantly better on the Variado. I’m kind of stuck and unsure what to do.

I'm 6.1 (1.85 m) and my inside leg (from crotch to floor is 35.5, and to my ankle it is 33). I'm wondering whether the following might be too small (Wiggles size criteria for the bike):
    XL/58 Inside leg 33-35" Height 6'0-6'2 feet"

Is it likely I may need the bigger size:
    XXL/60 35"+ 6'2"+

I'm interested, but I don't want to end up getting the wrong size etc, and I would be appreciated if you could give me a bit of advice. Have people of similar height and leg length been ok with an XL58, or had to go smaller or bigger? Interested to hear the experiences of people who have either tested or bought the bike.

Cheers

i went for a 2009 allez as my first road bike, the sora stuff is lower spec - but its still good kit, certainly good enough, and i would very very surprised if it let me down at all. it works really well.

i guess it depends on what like to spend your money on :) the money i saved went on a load of kit. as im new to the sport i got shorts, jersey, shoes + pedals, helmet, gloves, pump, cages + bottles. the list goes on.

im 6ft3, a 61cm frame fits me well, which is an XL. i was on the top end of L going by the chart, but i have such a long reach that i felt the XL to be better for me.