The cost of enjoying cycling....

Simon1890
Simon1890 Posts: 117
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi guys, i'm in a real depressing place!!!!

About a year ago i bought a £500 road bike after deciding that running was boring and i wanted to rack up miles and get fit on a bike.

At the time i thought £500 was a lot of money, and that was only the start!!! A few months later i'd spent another £200 buying a lycra outfit, helmet, pedals, shoes and cycle computer.

Now i seem to have bought the 'budget' version of everything from bike to helmet. I wanted to see if i caught the cycling bug, which i have, and then look at my options...

Now i'm more knowledgable about the subject and i'm enjoying cycling i want to get more serious...start really training and eventually start competing in races/time trials....however i've come across a problem....my kit.

Every time i ask people in person (or my lbs) for advice on equipment and clothes etc.. i seem to get the same answer: if you want to become a 'regular' cyclist you should be spending a 'minimum' of £1500 on a bike then another £500 on important bits like pedals, shoes and kit. And that's only one bike, apparently most people have a 'winter' bike, a good 'summer bike' and a time trial bike minimum!!!

HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE AFFORD THIS HOBBY IF THAT'S THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU NEED TO SPEND??!?!??!?

I'm 27, earn a decent wage and don't have money problems but i find it difficult to justify to the misses that i want to spend £2000+ on a new bike (and kit) when i have bills and a child to look after.

I really want to progress my cycling and get into racing but don't have a clue how to afford it.....i don't want people to say that it doesn't matter about your kit as long as i'm happy because it clearly does when your lbs says: "well that's what happens when you buy a cheap, budget bike..." when you take it in to get something fixed/adjusted and ask for advice on upkeep etc...

How does everyone afford it if you don't mind me asking???

Cheers

Comments

• Simon1890 wrote:
    Every time i ask people in person (or my lbs) for advice on equipment and clothes etc.. i seem to get the same answer: if you want to become a 'regular' cyclist you should be spending a 'minimum' of £1500 on a bike then another £500 on important bits like pedals, shoes and kit

Hmmm... the man in the bike shop advises you to spend lots of money, you say? I must say I'm shocked.

But seriously, there's a difference between having a £1500 bike and actually spending £1500 on a bike. Same with kit- what with the internet and all that it's quite easy never to pay RRP for anything. Also, can you take advantage of a C2W scheme?
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    I'm guessing 2nd hand is a good way and slowly upgrading parts on your bike so it would be easier to hide the cost from the missus :twisted:
  • Simon1890
    Simon1890 Posts: 117
    Yeah i'm not suprised my LBS wants me to spend money either!!!!!

But seriously, C2W scheme i can't use (don't ask why..long story)....i'm always amazed when i'm out on rides and see everyone riding round on £2000 bikes, i always wonder how people afford it.

Anyone got a good link for tt bikes?
  • The other way to think of this is do you think Alberto Contador would be an aweful cyclist on a Trek 1.5? I don't think he'd do aswell, but honestly to quote Lance - "It's not about the bike". If you have a bike which goes from A to B, take care of it and get uber fit whilst enjoying it then why bother upgrading to a much more expensive bike? Sure it might be nicer, faster, a smoother ride, but those are the things you need to consider - what are the rewards in real terms, and how much do they matter to you really? If you're still not sure about whether to do it or not, the answer is already there - don't. Also, if you look after your bike it will look after you - a well looked after specialized allez might be a much nicer ride than a hammered Tarmac, and if it is well fitted to you then it will be nicer again. If you consider getting these little things really right, then it may be worth more than the £2k+ of the whole new kit.

Just my 2 cents!
  • 24 months interst free credit?
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    I'm sure you can get a decent bike for £1k ish - Even C+ do reviews of bikes under 1k.

Just out of interest how much have/would you spend on a car ?
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Cycling is not a cheap hobby.

But then again I can't think of many that are.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Well i afford all my exotica because i dont eat out, dont smoke, dont drink and have little time to do anything after ive worked and ridden my bike so no time to spend my money on anythnig else!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    There's plenty of guys out there doing big things on small budgets. A guy in my club runs a battered Giant SCR3 with a rack on it and can I get anywhere near him on the last 5mile burnup on a sunday clubrun? If you've got the legs and the talent and the dedication to train you'll get far further than any credit card hero.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Just enjoy what you can reasonably afford, you dont need to look like a pro to do anything!

My chief aim in cycling is to enjoy it and see some scenery instead of vegging at home. I could blow all my yearly budget and get a nice car like other idiots who have expensive cars yet live in sh!t holes. I would love a £2-3k bike but would be scared sh!tless of getting a scratch or dent on it.
  • volvicspar
    volvicspar Posts: 208
    The bike doesn't matter, and the only pieces of kit that really matter are the helmet and the padding in the shorts. Unless you race then a better bike might help, but even then if your slow you will still be slow.
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Listen, I did the same as you & rode a Specialized Allez (2003 model, bought in 2004 for £400), upgraded a wheel & forks to carbon due to a crash repair, changed to decent tyres when the originals wore out - bought jerseys & mits from Lidl when they came in (1 is so good I still use it) - got my Spec.BG shoes in an lbs sale, just retired them (got Wiggle DHB1s in THEIR sale for £35.99) - and spend an awful amount of time trawling all the online sites for sale items, particularly end of season.
    I do treat myself, spent some good money on winter jackets & summer jerseys recently, and after a 62 miler at the weekend I definitely need to buy some better shorts, probably Wiggle DHB - reviews, particularly cycling plus, help a lot on choice.
    So yes, it costs money, but you don't need to have Rapha or Assos quality, and personally I can't justify it either.
    On the downside, I have just bought a £1K carbon Ribble Sportive, 12 months buy now pay later, and it is such a nice ride compared to the Allez (which is now my bad weather bike !) and performs as well as something twice the price, and justified it (not that I have to, my relationship is not like that) by the time & dedication I have spent on the sport, fitness level, stress relief, and also have cancelled the (pretty useless) gym membership.
    Decathlon stores are also a godsend, their kit is excellent value for money & loads cheaper than most, and they also do good deals on shimano stuff like shoes & cleats.
    My knees hurt !
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Simon1890

learn to fix/adjust the bike yourself so you won't have to hear patronising twaddle from your bike shop. There is pleasure to be had in riding a "beginner" bike faster up and down hill than someone with ATGNI.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You don't need an expensive bike and assos kit to ride fast!

I rode a Giant SCR2 for about 3 years, upgraded wheels (Aksiums), seatpost and chainset, but otherwise standard. Even with the upgrades it was VERY ordinary compared to most people's good bikes that come out for sportives. I rode my first and only sportive back in 2007 (the 105 mile Cumberland Challenge) in 6h21min (only a week after finishing Paris-Brest-Paris as well!). Nothing special I know, but I was on a crap bike, wearing crap old Nike bibshorts that I picked up in a sale and Cannondale mtb shoes that I also found cheap. I can guarantee that there'd be people coming in at 8 hours plus on £2000+ bikes.

My now good bike is a 2007 Kuota Kharma that I bought through cyclescheme, but even without it I'd only have paid just over a grand. Its a beautiful bike, but its 'only' Shimano 105. So still very ordinary by sportive standards, but more than good ebough for anything I'll ever do. Everything works well and its reasonably light so why would I need a more expensive bike that I can't afford anyway?

Your LBS is clearly staffed by numpties and/or people that think you're a numpty!
    More problems but still living....
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Of course there are gains to be had from better bikes, but as mentioned already, the best bike won't transform a bad rider into an elite one. Similarly, the weight saving from lighter components will make scant difference to a rider carrying a 3 stone spare tyre!

Make sure your frame is a good fit, and updrage the other bits as and when you can.

On the cost side of it, I have just bought a £4k Orbea Orca, but cycling is my main hobby, and I don't really go out on the p*ss, so I'm happy to spend a fair bit on cycling.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    If you get talking to very experienced cyclists you will find that they've spent loads of money on bikes and kit - but I think you're missing a point: they've spent YEARS building up their 'stable'. Nobody (unless they've more money than sense) just goes out and spends thousands and thousands on several new bikes at once when they've only been riding for a year! I've got 6 bikes but it's taken me 15 years to acquire them. I managed with just one for the first 6 years and that included doing racing, touring, clubruns, winter and summer riding.

It does sound as though you've gone very 'budget' but you can upgrade a bike little by little. Buy better wheels when you can afford it. Change the groupset over to a better one gradually. If you find a better-quality secondhand frame, take all the upgraded parts off your current bike and put them on the better frame. This is the kind of thing experienced cyclists do. Join a club and get some advice from the guys who have been messing about with bikes for 50 years - you'll get a different perspective than the LBS guy who has pound signs in his eyes.

Ruth
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    If, as stated, it's your desire to train more seriously, then you don't need any money for this, just time. This will reap more rewards than any upgrades to your bike. Of course, everyone likes to upgrade their bike, and many, like myself do it on a component by component basis i.e. a new set of wheels one month, some new kit another. Cycling for most of us is a lifelong obsession, so after a few years you will have accumulated all the gear you need, you don't have to have everything from the start.
    If you're happy with your £500 bike, then just ride it. Don't listen to what your LBS thinks is a minimum requirement. There is no minimum requirement for a bike, anyone who says otherwise is a complete knob. However, please don't become one of those people (there's still a few around judging by some of the comments on this thread) who develop a bit of a chip on their shoulder, and think that anyone with a better bike than them is ATGNI. The bike tends to be a reflection of your disposable income, not your ability, and everyone knows that, but some still get seem to get a little kick from passing guys on expensive bikes. Very odd :?
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Hey Simon, don't get wound up about it. Just buy things when you can afford them. If you can put away a certain amount of money each month for cycling then you'll eventually get the kit you want. I saved up for over a year to buy my current bike.
  • soveda
    APIII wrote:
    If, as stated, it's your desire to train more seriously, then you don't need any money for this, just time. This will reap more rewards than any upgrades to your bike. Of course, everyone likes to upgrade their bike, and many, like myself do it on a component by component basis i.e. a new set of wheels one month, some new kit another. Cycling for most of us is a lifelong obsession, so after a few years you will have accumulated all the gear you need, you don't have to have everything from the start.
    If you're happy with your £500 bike, then just ride it. Don't listen to what your LBS thinks is a minimum requirement. There is no minimum requirement for a bike, anyone who says otherwise is a complete knob. However, please don't become one of those people (there's still a few around judging by some of the comments on this thread) who develop a bit of a chip on their shoulder, and think that anyone with a better bike than them is ATGNI. The bike tends to be a reflection of your disposable income, not your ability, and everyone knows that, but some still get seem to get a little kick from passing guys on expensive bikes. Very odd :?

Why odd? If you are on a heavier bike and are fit enough to pass someone (and stay ahead, not just pass and drop) why shouldn't you get a kick about being fit enough to do so?
  • topher9
    topher9 Posts: 54
    Second hand and bargains. Keep checking the listings.

e.g. there's a bloke selling a 2008 Madone frame on the classifieds for £400. You don't need any better than that. So that's your frame upgraded, not sure what components you've got but again, upgrade as and when. As someone else said, you don't need a 2k bike to enjoy it.

Kit-wise, look at the offers on Wiggle and the other online retailers - buy kit that might be last year's or even the year's before, there's nothing wrong with it but it tends to be a lot cheaper.

It is an expensive hobby, but some people go mental and there really isn't any need.

Also, you'd probably get £250/300 for your old bike if you sold it...
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Lots of sensible advice above. Upgrade when things wear out, and keep an eye out for 2nd hand and sale bargains.

1st upgrade would be wheels (aside from conumerables loke tyres etc.) and try to keep your best set for events. End of the season is a good time to look. Join a club and you'll probably find peple will help you out with loans of kit for events etc. as well as advice.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2009
    You don't have to spend £ 1500 quid on a new bike - Just upgrade the frame and wheels - you'll have a nicer bike then - £ 400 on say a Planet X or Ribble Carbon frame, and then £ 350-400 on some Kysrium Elites or Easton's or RS80's (or even the 7850's for a bit more) - and sell your existing frame and wheels on Ebay (for ~ £ 150) . Could even upgrade your chainset.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    soveda wrote:
    APIII wrote:

Why odd? If you are on a heavier bike and are fit enough to pass someone (and stay ahead, not just pass and drop) why shouldn't you get a kick about being fit enough to do so?

because you don't know what the other guy is doing i.e. he could be resting between intervals, trying to hold a steady pace, or just on a recovery ride. Besides, everyone says expensive bikes don't make you go faster, so there's nothing to be proud of :wink:
  • soveda
    APIII wrote:
    soveda wrote:
    APIII wrote:

because you don't know what the other guy is doing i.e. he could be resting between intervals, trying to hold a steady pace, or just on a recovery ride. Besides, everyone says expensive bikes don't make you go faster, so there's nothing to be proud of :wink:

So there's no harm in feeling good about it :wink: :P
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I got very narked with MTBing last year - basically the weather was causing my stuff to wear out very quickly. I had to spend £400 on worn out kit (I usually upgrade slightly) in two months!

Wrote a thread on the MTB section that may or may not apply to road bikes - the kit simply isn't as durable as it used to be.

My 1997 Stumpjumper has had around £250 spent on parts over 12 years. My 2007 Stumpjumper has probably had £500 - a few bits weren't worn (bars, pedals) but most stuff had given up. My LBS agrees that stuff just doesn't last as long - whatever you spend on it. I like light but I also like durable as I do about 4000 miles a year on the MTB and plan to add a couple of thousand on the road bike.
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Going to the original title of this thread. The cost of enjoying cycling is whatever you feel like spending. Guys at work have for £100 Apollos and love them, others have built their own bikes from scratch and spend thousands. Both enjoy cycling, so it's whatever you feel your limit is.

(Just don't max out your credit card thinking a 2lb lighter bike will make you the next Andy Schleck)
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    I spose if you like racing or competitive riding it can be very expensive.

I love recreational cycling and will do 50 miles most weekends, and I use my bike for pottering around in the week too, but I'm not into competitive cycling at all.

I was looking into buying some £750-£1000 bikes, even gave a few a test ride, but eventually I realised that they were overkill for someone who just rides for the pleasure of riding, and also as a tinkerer I wanted something I could customise.

So at the moment my main bike is a single speed built out of an old 1980 Raleigh Magnum (not the BMX by the same name!) which I got for a tenner, got some half decent used wheels and rebuilt them, a Brooks saddle, and some other bits, then stripped and repainted and rebuilt everything over a week in the garage. I've probably spent about £350 in parts, paint, consumables etc to get it where it is today and honestly, I think it's actually perfect for me.