Is it common...

Gotte
Gotte Posts: 494
edited July 2009 in Pro race
for tours to coincide?
I just noticed that the Tour of Britain coincides with the later stages of the Vuelta. Surely that's shooting yourself in the foot if you're looking to promote the tour of Britain to a world class event.

Comments

• SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    It's not unusual.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    My, that was quick.
    Many thanks.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    to be precise, it's not just not unusual, it's very usual. Tour of Britain is a minor tour. There are normally three or four tours for pros in different places in the world at the same time + one-day races = choice :)
    see : http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=cal09
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    I think the Tour of Switzerland and the Dauphine usually have an overlapping weekend?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Only so many days in the year to race. And lots of races. Stuff is going to overlap.

Usually there is little overlap with the 3 Grand Tours - but don't forget - only 9 guys ride a tour - and there are up to 30 riders on a team. Gives the lesser-known guys something to do during those periods beside sitting at home watching on TV!
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    It happens, in the battle for TV ratings. Also, many races need to be done, and if there was only one race at a time, there would be lots of riders inactive, which wouldn't be good for team sponsors.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are there any teams riding both the Vuelta and the TOGB ?
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Columbia and Ag2r from the ones announced, but I'm sure there'll be others, as there have been in other years.

At least it doesn't clash with Poland or Germany too this year!