Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

ALWAYS grease your post

My wife wouldn't have it any other way.

Oppps, wrong forum. That would be Penthouse.

I knew if I dangled that hook, it wouldn't take long..... :wink:

Ya got me. Sucked me right in. I'm so ashamed.
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    AGNI wrote:
    themightyw wrote:
    Don't worry if you're overweight. Lycra has a natural slimming effect when viewed by passers by....

Are you sure about that? I asked my wife if my bum looked any smaller in my lyrca shorts. The reply was "I know its lycra but it cant bend light"

:lol::lol::lol:
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    When riding in a group, stick close to the tyre in front to get extra efficiency, and if there is a slight cross wind go to the downwind side a bit to get the most benefit...at least that's what I have been told and it seemed to make a difference.
    us0.png
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    peddle faster than you think conceivably possible until you get used to it. you're probably at about 70-75 rpm and 90-95 saves your legs far better - not much quicker but you get there less knackered and can last longer as a result
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    AGNI wrote:
    themightyw wrote:
    Don't worry if you're overweight. Lycra has a natural slimming effect when viewed by passers by....

Are you sure about that? I asked my wife if my bum looked any smaller in my lyrca shorts. The reply was "I know its lycra but it cant bend light"

And the next time she asks you, "Does this make my bum look big?" here is your answer, "No, it's your arse that makes your arse look big!!"
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    My tip is to try to get used to riding on A roads. It might be scary at first, but riding on lanes can involve a lot more distance, poor surfaces and hard work.

I did a ride that included the A377 Exeter to Barnstaple on Friday and in over 37 miles of riding on this section only had to climb 1666 feet (according to http://www.bikehike.co.uk). Any other route would have involved all sorts of double chevron climbing and a lot more distance.

Edindevon
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    Edindevon wrote:
    My tip is to try to get used to riding on A roads. It might be scary at first, but riding on lanes can involve a lot more distance, poor surfaces and hard work.

I did a ride that included the A377 Exeter to Barnstaple on Friday and in over 37 miles of riding on this section only had to climb 1666 feet (according to http://www.bikehike.co.uk). Any other route would have involved all sorts of double chevron climbing and a lot more distance.

Edindevon

Plus going through lanes as fun is it may be you always have to be on the brakes just incase you get some nutter screaming round a blind bend. I do love the lanes though as near me they are always up and down but not too much that your slogging up the hills just enough to be fun
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Remember your special purpose; dont trust whitey.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    Grazy81 wrote:
    I do love the lanes though as near me they are always up and down but not too much that your slogging up the hills just enough to be fun

Today I did a section of less than 12 miles between Chard and Honiton via Stockland and I can honestly say it was a slog nearly all the way. All up and down with 1525 feet of climbing. That said, on this route you have to take the lanes, as the A30 is really bad and would only have saved 300 feet of climbing.

Edindevon
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    +1 on the white on the road when wet, but also avoid metalwork - on the subject of rain, it is always more dangerous when it has just rained as there is muck, grease, diesel, petrol etc. on the road surface
    My knees hurt !
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Always expect motorists to do something really stupid. They rarely disappoint.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    As the nights draw in, check that your lights a) have good battery power, b) are pointing the right direction and c) are clean.

Slick tyres have MORE grip than grooved tyres on tarmac.
  • burginn
    burginn Posts: 7
    Shimano Tiagra chainrings have some teeth that are purposely ground flat (not pointy). Supposedly this helps get the chain on when you change gear.

I blew £40 on a whole new chainring after getting my first bike maintenance book, inspecting my chainrings and thinking I'd broken / ground flat a load of teeth!
  • desperate73
    desperate73 Posts: 135
    A few motorbike ones that are just as specific riding pedal power:

When approaching a junction or any car/vehicle waiting to pull out. Don't look at the driver but look at his front wheel for movement. You'll be much better fore warned.

Ralax on the bike. A relaxed rider = a stable bike.

On blind, tight bends. Look for the vanishing point of a turn. If it's getting closer, the turn is tightening. Moving away it's opening out.

Also on bling tight turns. take the wide in, narrow out line for the viewing advantage.

Squeeze brakes, Never grab - see relaxed.

If you lose your bike. Think where you last put it.
    Account requested to be deleted
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    never run (or ride) with scissors
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    In winter, If you are caught out with an empty water bottle remember......... NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW!!!
    dave
  • 1. The 1-2-4 rule. When thinking about bike maintenance, allow twice as much time as you first think you'll need. Otherwise it'll take as long again to sort out the rush job.

2. If you have to cycle over wet metalwork, commit to it and cycle over it straight rather than dithering and crossing at an odd angle/getting the tyre on both surfaces.

3. Fettling again. If you don't have Swarfega, a mix of washing-up liquid and salt will take the muck off your hands (albeit by taking the top layer of skin with it).

4. Cyclecraft--don't imagine that hugging the kerb is the 'proper' place for cyclists or will keep you safe. In particular, don't let the presence of a marked cycle lane override other precautions re passing marked cars, going on the inside of left-turning vehicles etc..

5. Not so much a riding thing--& not roadie-specific--but be considerate even if you're not actually riding the bike. When locking it in the street, don't put it so it might block anything or fall (as much for your bike's benefit as other people). On local trains, especially if it's not just your bike by the doors, stay nearby so you can move it. Wheeling your bike around in a crowded market won't save much time over locking it up outside while you do your shopping, and is a bit antisocial (I'm thinking of you, fixie-ist in Borough Market last Xmas).
  • pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    Stop at red lights

Do not cycle on pavements unless they indicate that cycling is permitted

learn to countersteer to make tighter turns whilst keeping your speed

Never forget that your feet are clipped into the pedals

If you want to improve your bicycle fitness ride, ride and ride
  • ...and a few more:

6. maintenance yet again. You take apart something whose construction looks obvious, then not sure how to put it together again. Have your partner's/housemate's/friend's bike close by when you're doing stuff for an easy visual check.

7. An eye to improvisation with what's at hand is always useful. For example, broken front gear cable while out on a ride--wedging the right-size stone or similar in the front mech to keep the chainring in a 'medium speed' position will get you home.

8. You'll never regret carrying Duck Tape.

9. Kit manufacturers/sellers don't get rich by telling punters that one bit of kit will do for a range of uses. The only really necessary bike-specific item is padded shorts (and even then, only for 10-15+ miles rides). If you're already fairly active/outdoorsy/sporty you will find you already have many items that can be used with your bike, with a bit of thought.

10. Always check which valve type you're getting when buying inner tubes, and remember rims don't fit both even if your bike pump does. Not an expensive mistake to make, but a potentially hassleistic one.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    ...and a few more:

8. You'll never regret carrying Duck Tape.

On or off the bike I concurr! :twisted: :D:D:lol:
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Practise descending on the drops. It feels strange at first, but you'll be much better balanced and braking in this position is MUCH more powerful.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    bice wrote:
    Leave cables at their loosest when not using a bike: ie highest rear gear, lowest front

Why is that? :S
  • Rokkala wrote:
    bice wrote:
    Leave cables at their loosest when not using a bike: ie highest rear gear, lowest front

Why is that? :S

I presume that this is to stop them being constantly stretched - thus meaning you wont have to adjust your gears so often.
    Skinny Git on a Bianchi.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    When riding on busy roads - expect motorists and pedestrians to do the stupid thing (eg. car waiting in side road will pull out in front of you, car waiting in queue in outside lane will dive left, pedestrian watching you approaching will step out in front of you....) - and start to prepare for it (eg. slow down a bit going past that side road where there's a car waiting). Then you won't be taken by surprise when the stupid does happen. And pleasantly surprised when it doesn't.

Ride defensively (but not obnoxiously). Ride a few feet out from the kerb. The more you try and hug the kerb, the more cars will try to squeeze past when there's not enough space. And move out further coming to junctions/roundabouts, and on descents. Hold them up if you need to - it's only a few seconds.

On long rides - drink little and often, before you get thirsty, eat little and often before you get hungry.

Put a pair of latex disposable gloves in your on-the-bike toolkit. They pack down tiny, and are invaluable for mucky jobs like picking up an unshipped chain.

Start out easy on long hills.

Learn some maintenance and repair - there's loads of books and websites. Even if it's just the basics you'll save a fortune on repairs at the bike shop.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    When cycling up long hills don't look too far ahead as somehow it makes it seem alot harder - if you keep your eyes about 5 metres ahead the hill seems to go much quicker and easier.

Wet wipes are an invaluable asset on any ride - cleaning hands, wiping face, caught short.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Remember your special purpose; dont trust whitey.

The Lord loves a working man.

Cif is good for getting oily hands clean.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • I picked up this tip from another "best tips" thread:

Don't avoid hills.

It has made me stronger, as much mentally as physically.
  • Get warm before you get cold, get dry before you get wet.

The time to put extra layers on is when you first get an inkling that the weather's turning, not after the event when you're already soaked and/or freezing. Do this and you will always have made the right decision.

(Same is true in reverse when the sun comes out)

This comes from some cycling experience and many 10s of thousands of miles of ocean sailing.
    Knees tracking forward, elbows soft, cadenc- ooo, bunnies!
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    Always carry nibbles (cereal baaas, dried fruit etc).
    Most animals (including humans in cars) behave unpredictably...and you've got to try to predict this (see previous posts)
    In my opinion, always wear a helmet
    Take money, you never know when you may need a coffee / cake stop
    Carry your mobile phone (family nos prefix with ICE - in case of an emergency), carry a bit of paper with you name, address, DoB, family contact details etc on it
    Never be without the right size innertubes and tyre levers...it's a right bug*er being stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing but an oversized elastic band that's no use whatsoever!
    Ride defensively, don't hug the curb..
    Be careful in queued traffic....
    HAVE FUN!!!!! :lol:
    i like bike
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Things I have learned:

1) If your chain slips off or you have a problem, remember to unclip your foot before its too late!

2) Have some spare batteries ready for your lights at work or at home.

3) Don't tumble dry your shorts or they become short shorts!

4) Always lie to your misses about how much stuff costs. If its really expensive go and buy it when she's not around or get it delivered to work.

5) Don't think its not going to rain. This is England. It will!

I cold go on and on, but then I would look really stupid!!
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/