Shimano 105 or FSA SLK Carbon Cranks ?

bunnerscj
bunnerscj Posts: 396
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,
Got a TREK 1.7 08 which has standard 105 equipped cranks, in an attempt to save weight other than the frame, is it worth changing the cranks from the standard 105 to some FSA SLK carbon Compacts ?

Have already changed the wheels as these were the first things to go so no need there.

What you lot think ?

Thanks
'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    what are the weight specs? - I'd have thought 105 are quite light - you don't always save weight in carbon cranks as they need to be pretty hefty items.

I bought all centaur groupset for a build last year and although I went for the carbon crankset, the weight difference over alloy was minimal - i bought it cos it looks great! (nothing wrong with that though right?)
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Its not just weight though, I bet the Carbon jobbies MUST flex enormously less than the mere metal ones do. See there you go, purchase justified. There is always a way 8) .
  • gkerr4
    hmm - im not sure - even the early carbon ones had alu inner 'spines' to make sure they were stiff enough!

Don't get me wrong - I am sure he should buy them - you should always buy shiny carbon stuff when you get a chance right?

but the OP needs to be aware that it might not be a 'weight reduction' led purchase!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    TBH, you're probably better off looking towards seatpost saddle bars and stem for weight loss before the cranks. Especialls seeing as you've already done wheels.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shimano tried CF cranks before deciding that they are better in alloy. So I'd go with their experience. You wont notice any weight difference off your cranks anyway. L:eave well alone.

I'd also not bother with CF bars. Not many pros used them in the tour according to the technical reports - and seeing as they dont pay for their bars - I'd stick with alloy - almost no weight saving to be had there either.

What pedals do you have ? They can be chunky.
  • gkerr4
    cougie wrote:
    Shimano tried CF cranks before deciding that they are better in alloy. So I'd go with their experience. You wont notice any weight difference off your cranks anyway. L:eave well alone.

I'd also not bother with CF bars. Not many pros used them in the tour according to the technical reports - and seeing as they dont pay for their bars - I'd stick with alloy - almost no weight saving to be had there either.

What pedals do you have ? They can be chunky.

This was my point - although I think that the CF cranks look a MILLION times better (at least) and therefore should be bought.

re. the bars - carbon bars don't present a weight saving opportunity - but they can be shaped into more interesting, ergonomic ideas than alu tubes - I have a set of cinelli neo morphe bars and while they are probably 20g heavier than than the ITM alloy ones they replaced - they are easily the best upgrade I have bought for the bike . so comfortable.

weight saving items - yes pedals can be heavy, also agree with saddles and seatposts - stem weights can vary too - so worth a look,

most important is the tyres and tubes - a set of decent tyres and lighter (not the lightest as they puncture) inner tubes (I like vittoria for both) can save 250-300g off the wheels for around £60 - you'd pay hundreds to reduce that weight from the wheels themselves!
  • bikeboy123
    bikeboy123 Posts: 63
    carbon cranks are usualy lighter and stiffer...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I not a fan of FSA. I am of Shimano. For no other reason than I believe they make a well
    tested, proven, quality product. I also don't buy the "carbon is stiffer" stuff. Seems like a lot of hype to me. EVERYTHING carbon is stiffer, or so THEY say. If it's so great why doesn't DA have a carbon crank? I don't have any problem with carbon stuff. It seems to work and work well, but to believe that a carbon crank is "better" than alloy is not something I'm prepared to "buy into" just yet.
  • gkerr4
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    carbon cranks are usualy lighter and stiffer...

we can't be 100% on that though - hence the Dura-ace crankset is still alu only and given it is produced as a "best regardless of cost" set, even I as a campag fan would have to think that shimano know a thing or two about cranks!