Forum home Mountain biking forum Your mountain bikes

Giant Anthem X2

llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
edited May 2010 in Your mountain bikes
4612645060_71febce9e9.jpg

4612038395_ce8bfb9691.jpg

4380037368_10975f25bc.jpg

3756392056_e641d75a60.jpg


2009 GIANT ANTHEM X2

FORK : Fox 32 F100 RL
SHOCK: Fox Float RP2
HANDLEBAR: RaceFace Ride XC
GRIPS: Lizard Skins Peaty
STEM: RaceFace Ride XC
SEAT POST: Thomson Elite
SEAT CLAMP: Hope
SADDLE WTB: Silverado Race
SHIFTERS: Shimano SLX RapidFire Plus
FRONT MECH: Shimano XT
REAR MECH: Shimano XT Shadow
CASSETTE: Shimano XT
BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano XT
CRANKSET: Shimano XT
CHAIN: KMC X9L
PEDALS: Time Atac XS
BRAKES: Formula Oro K18 - F: 180mm, R: 160mm
WHEELS: DT Swiss 370 / Mavic XC717 / Sapim Race / Shimano Deore skewers
TYRES: Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo 2.1
«1

Posts

  • ACDCwmbACDCwmb Posts: 225
    Nice, looking forward to picking one up next year, tried in vain to pick up a frame so I could build it up as a marathon bike but no luck. How are you finding the fork?
    Never ridden a fox fork before so not sure how it will compare to the reba I have already.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • stu8975stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Very nice indeed.
    ACDCwmb - I know what you mean about about trying to get a frame..took me nearly 4 months and got one of the last batch..dont think there doing anymore til 2010 models come out. But they should be fitted with the new RP23 w/boost valve thing.
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    ACDCwmb wrote:
    Nice, looking forward to picking one up next year, tried in vain to pick up a frame so I could build it up as a marathon bike but no luck. How are you finding the fork?
    Never ridden a fox fork before so not sure how it will compare to the reba I have already.

    I don't know enough about forks to give you much of an opinion really, but I've got Rebas on my Cube and if anything I prefer the Fox. It feels slightly plusher and is better on small, quick bumps, but that could be as much down to my set-up skills as anything else! :lol:

    Great frame though, I've been really chuffed with it!
  • ACDCwmbACDCwmb Posts: 225
    I plan to demo a x2 sometime soon before I order a frame, out of interest how tall are you, I'm 5' 10'' and I will be looking at getting a med.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    ACDCwmb wrote:
    I plan to demo a x2 sometime soon before I order a frame, out of interest how tall are you, I'm 5' 10'' and I will be looking at getting a med.

    Yeah a medium will be spot on for you I reckon. Whereabouts are you from? I think Zero G in Bristol have a demo X2...
  • ACDCwmbACDCwmb Posts: 225
    I should be able to get a x2 for a demo from my LBS, waiting to see what the 2010 frame colours are going to be...
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • kitenskikitenski Posts: 218
    What upgrades have you done and how do you find them? From checking specs of the X1 vs my X3 the biggest weight gain is the front forks over the 2 models.....
  • Tom BartonTom Barton Posts: 516
    mmm - glyncorrwg in the sunshine... lovely.. oh - lush bike too :-)
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    kitenski wrote:
    What upgrades have you done and how do you find them? From checking specs of the X1 vs my X3 the biggest weight gain is the front forks over the 2 models.....

    Swapped the brakes over from my Cube and added a set of Peaty lock on grips. There's lots I want to do to it, but I need to control the spending a little :lol:

    Just found a big scratched area on the crossbar from having it in my mate's van yesterday :cry:
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Merry Christmas to me, lots of love, me.

    4234196881_f114e06458_b.jpg

    Just need to pick up a BB tool tomorrow and I can get to work :D
  • TOP looking bike u have there mate 8) and some tasty kit too
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

    GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    TOP looking bike u have there mate 8) and some tasty kit too

    Thanks mate :D Just fitted the new cassette and the weight difference is scary!
  • TOP looking bike u have there mate 8) and some tasty kit too

    Thanks mate :D Just fitted the new cassette and the weight difference is scary!

    gradually upgrading bit n bobs to xt myself, whats the chainset like??
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

    GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Really nice. I do think the SLX is better looking and better value, but I wanted to bring the whole drivetrain up to XT and I'm going as light as I can afford on this bike!
  • jay12jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i love thelook of giant bikes. that is really awesome now.
    :lol: at the CRC sweets
  • Really nice. I do think the SLX is better looking and better value, but I wanted to bring the whole drivetrain up to XT and I'm going as light as I can afford on this bike!

    its nice when it all matchs too :lol: unlike my mish mash at the min :roll:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

    GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    :lol: at the CRC sweets

    There was about 6 in there, they obviously just grab a handful and throw them in the box :lol:
  • kitenskikitenski Posts: 218
    have you upgraded your front fork? I have an X3 and am considering changing the front fork for a lighter/stiffer one......
  • I'm not a fan..










    ..of CRC sweets, my last lot tasted like plastic.

    Bike looks nice though :D
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    kitenski wrote:
    have you upgraded your front fork? I have an X3 and am considering changing the front fork for a lighter/stiffer one......

    Nope the fork was standard on the X2, it'll be staying on too, an upgrade would be bloody expensive and I love the Fox :D
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    New drivetrain fitted today, very happy with the result!

    And more importantly - my kitchen!

    4237773540_8aa0d7f2a0_o.jpg

    4236999317_49927c82e9_o.jpg
  • 3110neil3110neil Posts: 303
    nice bike ,and the karndean flooring looks good ,
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,678
    Stunning bike, just visited a Giant bike shop today and was shocked how light this bike as a full susser, I was very impressed the design and layout of Anthem models, I can understand it was voted 2009 bike of the year by bike's experts, I am considering getting one later on.

    I liked how you have upgraded on your bike, great choices but I would have use Shimano XT brakes rather than Formula ones to match the rest of your XT on the bike as these are very good and powerful too.

    Lovely bike 8)
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,678
    Nice, im hoping to get the X3 when im older though, cause its lighter
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    poiuy1 wrote:
    Stunning bike, just visited a Giant bike shop today and was shocked how light this bike as a full susser, I was very impressed the design and layout of Anthem models, I can understand it was voted 2009 bike of the year by bike's experts, I am considering getting one later on.

    I liked how you have upgraded on your bike, great choices but I would have use Shimano XT brakes rather than Formula ones to match the rest of your XT on the bike as these are very good and powerful too.

    Lovely bike 8)

    Thanks mate. I took the Formulas off my Cube, so XT was never an option, but to be honest I'm a big fan of Formula brakes, so if I upgraded it would more than likely be to a set of R1s.
    Nice, im hoping to get the X3 when im older though, cause its lighter

    The X3 is a lower spec than the X2, so it's not lighter. Nor is the 2010 X3 :wink:
  • gunga73gunga73 Posts: 125
    Great bike mate, I think my next project will be to build an custom anthem
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    New shiney bit arrived last week:

    4432916736_fbb20c040c.jpg

    Embarrassingly when I weighed the old one it was about 20g lighter than the Thomson- so much for my weight saving efforts! Still, it looks good...

    4432927240_bc92a90607_b.jpg
  • frogstompfrogstomp Posts: 412
    Nice!

    Was your old seatpost the Giant Connect one that came on the bike? Let me know if you want to shift it on..
  • llamafarmerllamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    frogstomp wrote:
    Nice!

    Was your old seatpost the Giant Connect one that came on the bike? Let me know if you want to shift it on..

    It was indeed mate, not really sure what it's worth but I'm happy to shift it if you're interested?
  • frogstompfrogstomp Posts: 412
    You have a PM..
Sign In or Register to comment.