My longest ever ride...

Redsteveb
Redsteveb Posts: 201
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Just completed my longest ride today :D Having only got back in the sadle about 3 months ago, I'm feeling knackered but chuffed to bits at my 57.6 mile trip.

Set out with my mate with the intention of riding for 90 minutes and then turning around and heading home, but the weather was glorious, sunny and warm but with a good breeze.

Having left from East Bristol we ended up crossing the old Severn Bridge into Wales!

I think I've now really got the bug, and am now planning my next trip from Bristol to Devizes which should be a little longer. No record average speeds etc today but simply building up my stamina etc.

Think I'm going to ache a little in the morning though :D

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Congratulations Redsteveb!

My longest was 79 from WSM to Severn Beach and back, and it almost killed me as i'd not planned on doing more than about 40, but the weather was great and I was feeling fantastic, until I went back over the avonmouth bridge :evil: 18 miles to go and everything started to break down, including the bike lol.

Have you joined any groups up your way that are any good?
    us0.png
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Superb - it's great doing the miles. See if you can aim for a century before the end of the summer. It's hard, but amazingly rewarding.
  • Nice one! It's always nice to beat your PB's. :)

Off topic I know (and apologise for) but what's Bristol and the nearby area like for cycling? Shall be coming back for uni shortly and don't really know what it's like having only ever ridden the Bristol-Bath cycle path on a rather tattered MTB.

Rich.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I've not got much to compare it with, but there seems to be a wide range of terrain and a lot of cyclists. Isn't Bristol one of the "Cycling Cities" or whatever they call it?

There are a range of maps to download with cycle routes in the Bristol area. The can also send you hard copies but I cant see the link at the moment.[/url]
    us0.png
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Well done, no meen feet at all, the only problem is that now you want to beat it and you know when you do you'll want to beat that as well. Just plan for next June when you have maximum daylight :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Piersy Boy
    Piersy Boy Posts: 60
    Nice one!!

My longest was around 60miles. It was also the first time ever on a road bike. My mate from uni came to Bath to visit and he came by train and bike and he mentioned a short ride. It was sunny and glorious. My arse, neck, back and thumbs were excruciatingly painful the next day, but it was worth it. I am now hooked on road riding.

(Reasons for thumbs hurting was I rode my dads bike which has the old style hoods. Over the top of the handle bars and set low down. the padding had since worn away)

Congrats tho!!!

Piersy Boy
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    Nice one! It's always nice to beat your PB's. :)

Off topic I know (and apologise for) but what's Bristol and the nearby area like for cycling? Shall be coming back for uni shortly and don't really know what it's like having only ever ridden the Bristol-Bath cycle path on a rather tattered MTB.

Rich.

Hi Rich,

I think Bristol was one of the first uk City's to embrace cycling. Sustrans
    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ was formed in 1977 in Bristol. There are a lot (more than I thought) of cycle routes in and around Bristol as I found out yesterday when I followed one from the Bristol to Bath cycle path to the Severn Bridge.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of great routes when you get back and have a look around.

All the best.

Steve
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    steveb well done, only the big 100 to go now!
  • Redsteveb wrote:
    Nice one! It's always nice to beat your PB's. :)

Rich.

Hi Rich,

I think Bristol was one of the first uk City's to embrace cycling. Sustrans
    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ was formed in 1977 in Bristol. There are a lot (more than I thought) of cycle routes in and around Bristol as I found out yesterday when I followed one from the Bristol to Bath cycle path to the Severn Bridge.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of great routes when you get back and have a look around.

All the best.

Steve

Cool, cheers for that! Shall have to have a look at some of them when I'm down :)
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    Well done, sounds like a nice ride.

Furthest I have ever done is 256.3 kms. It nearly killed me, and while many would just say 256, I still clearly remember those last excrutiating 300 metres. In fact I remember everything after 180kms which I think is a distance I may limit myself to in future.

I did learn a lot from that trip though, and have no regrets, knackering but great fun.