I know it's summer, but... (winter leg wear)

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
I know it's supposedly summer, but I've seen a few deals on winter tights and am thinking of preparing early. I want to ask what people recommend wearing during the winter though, as there seem to be three paths to go down:

1. Wearing winter bib tights with padding.
2. Wearing summer bib shorts with running tights on top.
3. Wearing summer bibs with unpadded winter bibs on top.

Which of these would you recommend (or is there another way I haven't thought of)?

I'm thinking that the padded winter bibs would be the best, but there seems to be a big polarization in the prices with some around £40 (not sure of the chamois quality) and others well over the £100 mark (too much for me).

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Unpadded bib tights + decent padded shorts.

It means you can get away with just one pair of tights - it's not so much of a problem wearing dirty tights a couple of days in a row, but you should have a clean pad.

I got a pair of decent Castelli unpadded tights for £50 last year, v. good quality. I've got three pairs of Assos shorts I wear underneath.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    I'm in a similar dilemma - I have shorts and bib shorts, that I currently wear on their own when sunny / warm and a pair of Ron Hill tracksters that I wear over the top when cooler/duller.

I'm too am thinking of getting something more substantial/appropriate for colder/damper days, as to which is the best / most cost-effective way of doing it. :?

I am currently thinking Roubaix bibs, either un-padded with my current shorts, or a full padded pair of the same... ...or simply something better than the Ron Hills I currently wear. :?
    Cycling weakly
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    It's worth getting a pair of padded bib longs with wind proof front panels, a must in the depths of winter.
  • I wear padded shorts with these http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C1932 over the top. You can also get padded ones. They fit really well and kept me warm last winter.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I have Biemme full windtex bib tights full the winter.
    Very warm and comfy to wear
    Wind proofing is worth its weight in gold in winter, no windproof = tiny d**k syndrome.
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Usual padded shorts with Ronhill bikesters - seriously, dead cheap.
    I had issues through the winter with cold feet, but none at all with cold legs.
    My knees hurt !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Options 1 or 3 for me.

Hard to get cold legs when your muscles are doing all the work. Cold feet is harder to avoid.

I quite like the DHB tights - good value for money.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Option 1 for me every time. Tried wearing two layers ie padded shorts and padless tights and it just adds bulk.

Bib tights with insert is the way imo.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Option 1 only works if you can afford multiple sets of Assos padded bib tights or don't ride much.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr