Best bike oil on the market?

lejogx2
lejogx2 Posts: 32
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Please humour me. what would be the best bike oil because i really dont have a clue. I know you can get wet and dry but i dont want to change oil depending on the weather. So what do you think.
thanks

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Chain lube? Best in my experience is Prolink Progold, it stays on like a wet lube, even in the rain, but is nearly as clean as a dry lube. Drivetrain stays smooth and silent. I've tried all of the other usual suspects, they either get filthy or need daily application, Progold avoids both problems. Reasonably priced too.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Squirt Lube, no question.

I used ProLink God for a while but it throws crap all over the back of your bike. Squirt is much cleaner and leaves my chain really clean. I'm not sure it will do in the winter yet but I'll find out.

You can get it here - http://squirtlube.co.uk/
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I use Finish Line Cross Country - works well enough - no complaints. And for spraying on bits and pieces I use TF2 Teflon - lovely stuff.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, after much experimenting i can say there is no "best" bike oil :(
    For the chain my suggestion is to use any oil you have available ie, 3 in 1 / engine oil / gear oil / but not GT85 or WD40.
    The important thing is to run the chain through a rag, lube with oil of your choice, run through a rag again, repeat as often as you need to :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    topdude wrote:
    Hi, after much experimenting i can say there is no "best" bike oil :(
    For the chain my suggestion is to use any oil you have available ie, 3 in 1 / engine oil / gear oil / but not GT85 or WD40.
    The important thing is to run the chain through a rag, lube with oil of your choice, run through a rag again, repeat as often as you need to :D

Whilst I agree there is no 'best' bike oil, I ca't agree with using 3 in 1/engine oil etc unless you are willing to have a daily clean, as these oils are viscous and hold dirt, you'll end up with your chain looking like a motor bike chain.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    topdude wrote:
    but not GT85 or WD40.

why not GT85 or WD40..??
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Engine oil is far too thick - all the mud, dust & crap will stick to it. You can cut engine oil with 50-60% white spirit to make your own chain lube. WD40 is a water dispersant not a lube (not enough lube for a chain).

Squirt have a "request a sample" page on their website.
  • softlad
    mhuk wrote:
    WD40 is a water dispersant not a lube (not enough lube for a chain).

but I have been using it for years as a chain lube, with no issues whatsoever. My chains last very well and my transmission & shifting is 100% reliable. Am I doing something wrong..?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    softlad wrote:
    mhuk wrote:
    WD40 is a water dispersant not a lube (not enough lube for a chain).

but I have been using it for years as a chain lube, with no issues whatsoever. My chains last very well and my transmission & shifting is 100% reliable. Am I doing something wrong..?
    I don't know. Proof of the pudding is in the eating I guess. Do you re"lube" every ride?

Whilst it might work, the dedicated lube I use is probably as cheap as WD40 (as it isn't an aerosol), and whilst I might be duped by the marketing hype, there is little cost and no harm in using something specifically designed for the job.
  • softlad
    alfablue wrote:
    I don't know. Proof of the pudding is in the eating I guess. Do you re"lube" every ride?

I will usually re-lube every 3-4 hours worth of riding
    alfablue wrote:
    Whilst it might work, the dedicated lube I use is probably as cheap as WD40 (as it isn't an aerosol), and whilst I might be duped by the marketing hype, there is little cost and no harm in using something specifically designed for the job.

completely agree, there is obviously nothing wrong with using bike-specific lubes. But I will always challenge anyone who advises against the use of stuff like WD and GT when they clearly have no practical experience of using either....
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The best you ask?????
    Well, obviously it's the stuff that came out last week, claiming to be better than the stuff the week before. Something like that.

Just pick one. I doubt that it really matters as long as you keep things well lubed. :wink::wink:
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Purple Extreme IMHO. Properly applied IAW the instructions I've found it great.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed