PS3 = PSP link?

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited July 2009 in The Crudcatcher
What benefits are there to having a PSP if you have a PS3 - does it allow you to play music / videos etc that are stored on the PS3?

I can get a PSP fairly cheap through work, and apart from being able to play games on it - is there any reason to?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    What benefits are there to having a PSP if you have a PS3 - does it allow you to play music / videos etc that are stored on the PS3?
    You can use the PSP as a remote control for the PS3 http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... eplay.html

The PSP games are OK but apart from a few exceptions they are mostly PS2-tastic, although I find it pretty good for watching videos on long journeys.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Thing is i have an ipod for films etc, and have the BT remote for it already - its just I have the option of getting one through work.

Think its a non-starter then - thanks anyway!
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Whats the point in the PSP - PS3 link??? It works over LAN from what I understand and why would anyone want to change their PS3 settings from a remote location?

As for media sharing, well you can share photos and some video files and mp3 files. But if your at home why would you want to watch videos, look at photos on your 4" PSP screen when you've just spent £300 on a PS3 and £300+ on a decent HD TV!

Seems totally pointless to me,
  • gcwebbyuk
    Whats the point in the PSP - PS3 link??? It works over LAN from what I understand and why would anyone want to change their PS3 settings from a remote location?

As for media sharing, well you can share photos and some video files and mp3 files. But if your at home why would you want to watch videos, look at photos on your 4" PSP screen when you've just spent £300 on a PS3 and £300+ on a decent HD TV!

Seems totally pointless to me,

Thats what I was trying to clear up - the link is well advertised on the PS website - so I thought it must be more than what you have stated - but it turns out it isnt.

I thought maybe it would be like a squeeze box type idea where the PS3 is the server and you can connect the PSP to another hifi in the house.
  • junglist_matty
    I guess you could connect it to a HiFi by just plugging in the audio jack, but still, you wouldn't be able to put the PSP image onto another TV in your house...

Plus because its WAN you'll only be able to do it over your network in your house, so I'm assuming that it will work over the internet if your at your friends house, so you can login to your PS3 from a true "remote" location, but even then I would imagine it would be a pretty slow connection having to go over the internet, with the average upload speed being quite poor to transfer any decent media just wouldn't be worth it, and why would you ever want to change PS3 settings anywhere else other than sitting in front the PS3???
  • gcwebbyuk
    As said : thinks its a non-starter 8)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Sony have this idea that you can stream media from your PS3 to your PSP when you're not at home but frankly I can't be arsed :lol:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited July 2009
    The point is to be able to watch/listen to your collection not when at home, but in any wi-fi available location in the world. Not for me, but I'm sure some find it useful.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • gcwebbyuk
    surely to be able to do it - would require your ps3 to be left permanently on?

not very green is it .... :shock:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    surely to be able to do it - would require your ps3 to be left permanently on?

not very green is it .... :shock:
    PSP can turn the PS3 on and off (standby).
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • junglist_matty
    Daz555 wrote:
    The point is to be able to watch/listen to your collection not when at home, but in any wi-fi available location in the world. Not for me, but I'm sure some find it useful.

I understand this, and in theory sounds great (if thats what your into), but in reality, unless you have a good upload speed on your broadband, and lets face it, most people don't, whats the point, you'll just get a really slow connection to your PS3 from outside your house and downloading media is quite data-heavy, the two don't go together!

Just seems a stupid idea with current broadband speeds.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I've yet to try my PSP from a wifi point outside of my house. In theory its fairly cool though- you can watch live TV too on your PSP if you have Play TV on your PS3...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3