well and truly broken

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited July 2009 in The Crudcatcher
just snapped my sram chain in 3 places, including the powerlink :shock: yes i snapped a powerlink in half. i was sprinting with a few mates and then snap. lucikily i was unhurt other than a few cuts from pedals and stem on knee, the bike is ok too, but another chain is now required ....... this game really expensive isnt it :roll:

oh well if i break anything else ill have an excuse to scav some money for a new bike :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    this is one of those pics or it didnt happen moments....................
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    How did you snap it in 3 places?

Once its snapped their couldn't be any pressure left to snap in 2 more times??
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • lawman
    it snapped at both ends of the power link :shock: and part way through the chain so i counted it as 3, but if your being pedantic i guess you could say it is 2 places

havent got round to taking some photos yet sheepsteeth, been bust ordering a new chain :( i will take one tho to prove it ..... i do however have only one side of the power link :shock: the other was lost/destroyed
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    That's impressive, i broke a hope hub the other day doing hardly nothing.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • lawman
    some pics os brooken chain

DSCF3277.jpg

the split power link :shock:

DSCF3279.jpg

proof enough sheepsteeth

dazza, my maye broke a hope hub goin up a hill, and not just broke it he snapped the casing :shock:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Good work!! I ve broken the chain at a link but not halved the actual powerlink itself!!

I has a classic crash last weekend when the bloody chain unshipped itself from the ring whilst i was sprinting up a hill in front of a load of (quite hot) girls!! The medic digging the gravel out 2 hours later was brilliant fun!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • lawman
    yer i was lucky tbh i was racing some mates on halfords specials, well actually one has my old bike, a claud butler cape wrath, :lol:, to prove how good a) i am and b) how good the bike is :( or was lol

luckily no hot girls were present, but i was stranded 2 miles from home and didnt fancy walking so we tied our belts together and they pulled me home, which was rather interesting ....... :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    lawman wrote:
    yer i was lucky tbh i was racing some mates on halfords specials, well actually one has my old bike, a claud butler cape wrath, :lol:, to prove how good a) i am and b) how good the bike is :( or was lol

luckily no hot girls were present, but i was stranded 2 miles from home and didnt fancy walking so we tied our belts together and they pulled me home, which was rather interesting ....... :lol:

I always carry a bungee cord in my pack...it has been used a couple of times as a tow-rope!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Or a chain splitter and some spare power links :roll:
  • lawman
    adb1006 are you saying this is fake??? cos trust me the cuts on my leg and knee know its not :shock:
  • cee
    adb1006 wrote:
    Or a chain splitter and some spare power links :roll:

that too....however we did have an issue where a mates chain was quite tight...he selected a poor gear combination (big-big) the chain went bar tight and we broke the chain splitter trying to split it......

roll your eyes at that. :roll: :wink::D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • adb1006
    lawman wrote:
    adb1006 are you saying this is fake??? cos trust me the cuts on my leg and knee know its not :shock:

Er, no. I'm saying if you had had a chain splitter and some spare quick links you could have repaired the chain rather than fashioning a tow rope from your belts :D
    cee wrote:
    that too....however we did have an issue where a mates chain was quite tight...he selected a poor gear combination (big-big) the chain went bar tight and we broke the chain splitter trying to split it......

roll your eyes at that. :roll: :wink::D

:roll: :lol:

Sounds like your mate needs to learn about gear selection :wink:
  • cee
    adb1006 wrote:
    Sounds like your mate needs to learn about gear selection :wink:

in fairness to him...end of a trail....onto the road....he tried to shift both mechs at the same time and it all went wrong....

I reckon his chain was too short by a link.....

of course I gave him pelters as I towed his ass bak to galashiels from yair. :evil:

H.G. Wells.
  • lawman
    adb1006 wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Er, no. I'm saying if you had had a chain splitter and some spare quick links you could have repaired the chain rather than fashioning a tow rope from your belts :D

i had no gear with me other wise i would have done. we were just out about having been to the local jumps and been to the pub so we had nothing to fix it, besides the belt idea was great fun :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    lawman wrote:
    we were just out about having been to the local jumps and been to the pub so we had nothing to fix it, besides the belt idea was great fun :lol:
    My rides are so boring nothing like that ever happens. Closest I ever get to a bit of excitement is like last week when a lycra-clad lovely (OK a thirty-something lady on her own) asked me if I could pump her tyre up...
  • adb1006
    .blitz wrote:
    My rides are so boring nothing like that ever happens. Closest I ever get to a bit of excitement is like last week when a lycra-clad lovely (OK a thirty-something lady on her own) asked me if I could pump her tyre up...

Women eh - they're all for equality but only when it suits them :wink:
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Crikey done a good job there, when i first rode my anthem it came with a hg chain god forbid as i hate the things, anyway went on a fast downhill only for a long bramble to haul me into the hedge, the chain slipped off and got caught between the rear sus pivot and the chainset, but not just once but twice, one set of links on top of another, now that i've never seen.

Lucky one of the riders kept a leather man on him, got home and it hardly marked the linkage, got a kmc 9sl on now though and not a hint of problems since touch wood. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • lawman
    i rarely see any hot girls on anyrides, very few female riders around me, and even fewer my age, 17 :( oh well. i did see a few girls down the jumps once, so i manned up and hit the big double for the first time ever and cleared it :D

i sometimes borrow a mates trials bike and wander around the town and quite often girls comeover and say hi, admire our riding and chat about stuff ..... ahh i love being a teenager :D