Replacement inner chainring

100%
100% Posts: 236
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Hi,

I want to fit a larger inner chainring on my compact chainset. It's an FSA compact chainset, KMC chain with the rest of the drivetrain being 2009 10sp Veloce.

I am assuming, given it's an FSA chainset, ideally I need a new ring which has shifting ramps for shimano?

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No, any 110mm BCD chainring will suffice, although the more expensive ones have the aforementioning shifting pins. TA make some nice aftermarket chainrings or Stronglight if you're on a budget.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 100%
    Hi Monty,

Thanks for the reply - you seem to be answering all my questions at the moment! :D

I use TA rings on my cross bike, but I was looking at Gebhardt rings - much cheaper, especially since TA seem to have put their prices up, but I don't think they have any ramping pins so I assume the shifting will be a bit 'rougher'?

I'm sure there's endless questions I could ask, but I'll leave it at that for now! Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Inner chainrings don't have ramping pins - it's only the outer chainrings that do.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • 100%
    Thanks for that Reddragon, something else I don't have to worry about. And makes perfect sense now you've said it.

Any comments on the quality of Gebhardt chainrings?

Cheers,
    Steve