Armadillo Tyres

noidea123
noidea123 Posts: 68
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all.

Can anyone tell me how much these tyres slow you down. Eg. I did a 10 mile run in about 28 mins so averaged 20mph+ with CContinental something or others. What would the Armidillos roughly add to that time. Would love to avoid punctures, but don't want to lose too much speed.

Comments

• how much does changing a puncture slow you down?? A lot more than the Armadillo's will for sure, if they do at all. I've worn them for 6 years now and won't have anything else.
    Don't ride faster than your angels can fly........
  • noidea123
    Agree with that, but punctures aside, how much time/speed do they lose you? Anyone know?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    how much does changing a puncture slow you down?? A lot more than the Armadillo's will for sure, if they do at all. I've worn them for 6 years now and won't have anything else.

Well. I'd say they slow you down almost as much as a puncture :wink:

I can't quantify it, but it's a lot. They are awesome tyres when punctures are really unwelcome (commuting) but I wouldn't use them when the risk of punctures is part of the game (e.g. racing, time trial).

What are you doing when you don't want to lose speed? Racing yourself to work? Then speed in numbers is just vanity you can just compare to yourself over time. Get the armadillos if punctures are a problem. Racing other people? They'll cycle off without you and the only way you'll catch them is if they get a puncture!

I guess what I am tryin to say is horses for courses...
  • noidea123
    looking to start riding with a club, so I think i'm better sticking to having the odd puncture to deal with by the sounds of it
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Specialized All Conditions Pro's (not Armadillo) re light, fast and puncture proof (never punctured with them on 3 bikes).
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The armadillos are good commuting tyres but the ride feels very wooden and they are not brilliant in wet conditions.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra