Suggestions for micro-waterproof jackets?

themightyw
themightyw Posts: 409
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi folks

Living in Scotland, you never can tell when you'll catch an unexpected rain shower... Planning on doing a few longer rides over the remainder of the summer, and was looking for any suggestions for a very lightweight jacket that ideally packs up small enough to tie onto my saddle bag, or somewhere unobtrusive. Anyone got any suggestions?

I don't have a large budget unfortunately! Thanks in advance

TMW

Comments

• jazzkailey
    jazzkailey Posts: 48
    I thought over the same issue as you, albeit for long distance commuting in the midlands.
    Came across a £12.99 (labelled Crane) waterproof jacket in ALDI !
    It's a reasonable fit, good cuff seals, micro thin & folds down to a tiny size that would probably fit in your saddle bag! If not definitlely in a jersey pocket. Comes in yellow & has some decent reflectives on it too.
    At this price it's not really breathable except for some ventilation slits at the back, but in fairness it's no worse for breathability than an altura £100 rain jacket I trialled for a day.
    Great value & functional for a just in case rainjacket
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I've got one of these
    http://www.roughgear.co.uk/Product.aspx?product=506

It packs no problem in a jersey pocket - even in sunny Norfolk it gets a lot of use.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    themightyw wrote:
    Hi folks

Living in Scotland, you never can tell when you'll catch an unexpected rain shower... Planning on doing a few longer rides over the remainder of the summer, and was looking for any suggestions for a very lightweight jacket that ideally packs up small enough to tie onto my saddle bag, or somewhere unobtrusive. Anyone got any suggestions?

I don't have a large budget unfortunately! Thanks in advance

TMW

Hi,

From my experience, you are looking for the holy grail. I have tried quite a few and my current is an old model Endura similar spec to this http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=229
    It is good in the winter when it is cool but in the summer I have the choice of getting wet from rain, or sweat. They may claim to be breathable but not enough for me.
    I get the impression that a truly waterproof and breathable jacket is either unavailable, or very expensive :cry:
    I will be following this thread :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Some great suggestions here guys - thanks!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Do you really want a waterproof? Most of them breathe so poorly that you're better off with a windproof since you'll drown in your own sweat anyway. With a windproof jacket you can get quite wet and stay at a comfortable temperature. There are lots of jackets out there that fold up very small. Look up the Montane Featherlite Velo, Sportful Hotpack, Santini ICE Wintex Klear and others.

Unfortunately none of them fit me properly as I'm too skinny, but that's another thread.... :roll:

Matthew
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for the aldi. Fits in my pocket fine and altho not waterproof - keeps the worst off.
  • Big Banjo
    Big Banjo Posts: 78
    I have an aldi one, its okay for shorter rides with showers but it doesnt keep the rain at bay when it constantly rains, but its soo cheap can't really complain. Used it this morning and it kept me dry.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Montane Featherlite works for me. Cheap, packs down well and resists the odd shower