Starting out on the roads, how far should i go?

martylaa
martylaa Posts: 147
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Ok just got a Boardman Carbon, i do mountain biking but only over shortish distances ( 8-12 miles ) a few times a week, how far should i start with on my roadbike?
I'd say my fitness is pretty good so i'm just after peoples starting distances when they first took up road bikes.

Comments

• rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    30 miles then + 10% thereafter, if you like, or join a club!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Just sock it and see. I would go out for the same time as you are used to, see how it feels and build from there.
    My first road trip (since my teens, anyway) was the 20 mile commute home which included a stop for refreshments at the shop halfway; I may not be superfit now but I don't even carry water for anything less than 40 miles.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I like the 30 miles + 10% idea. If I'd followed this every outing I would be doing approx 1000000000000 miles each time by now
  • bompington wrote:
    I like the 30 miles + 10% idea. If I'd followed this every outing I would be doing approx 1000000000000 miles each time by now

:D and you would be super fit I guess. :D

Obviously you would stop at a level you were happy with Derrrr! :roll:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I started on the 20 milers and am pushing towards 50 now. Anything above 20 on a ride is good enough in my book to class as an outing.
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    It's an idea to find yourself a good little circuit of say 10 miles. That way you're never miles away from home if you suddenly hit the wall and it feels nice and easy to go round again if you're feeling fresh. You can make the circuit bigger the more confident you feel.