Ribble Winter/Training Bikes £399 - was I just imagining it

geeteewmb
geeteewmb Posts: 2,221
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Thought these were £399 just last winter - went onto have a look and the cheapest one I can see is almost £600!

What gives?

Anyone know of any other companies that sell ready to go winter builds cheaply?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    That's the way prices have gone over the last 12 months - exchange rates mean than parts shot up in prices, on top of normal manufacturer increases. You may be able to get something later in the year when 2009 models hit the sales.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    It's mainly down to the massively increased cost of Shimano componants. Campag stuff has been hardly effected but as Xenon and Mirage have been dropped from the Campag range budget bikes have to stick with Shimano gear.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    my mirage clad one was 500 this time last year.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep, in the first half of 2008 they were doing a limited edition winter trainer with alu frame, carbon forks, and a selection of 07 and 08 Campag 9 speed components for 400. Wish I'd bought a shedfull, they would have gone up in value more than my HBOS shares have in the same period.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I had a go at using their bike builder on the site and found that by changing the components to cheaper ones ie sora instead of xenon, changing the wheels etc, I could get the price down to £435.50 for a fairly decent bike. Worth a try if you're thinking of one for this winter. You will probably need to order it now if you want it before winter judging by other comments on this forum but that is another story.