Help - Puncture Proof tyres for my Commuter - 700x25c ?

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi

Been using my hybrid for last 2 weeks for commuting and sick of punctures to be honest, the fitted tyres are not the best and quite thin.

Looking to upgrade them to a thicker more puncture proof tyre.

Seen Schwalbe Marathon Plus and they have good reviews.

Any other tips apart from don't ride over nails/glass to prevent punctures.

Also with regards to size my existing tyres are 700x25 (25-622). How would this equate to inches as there are cheap sets on ebay in 26"x1 3/8" ?

Cheers
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• bilabonic
    Damn can only find them in all the inches size and 700x28 ??????
  • Itokuzu
    Itokuzu Posts: 11
    I recently fitted a pair of 700 x 25 Marathon Plus tyres. I previously had a set of Kenda 700 x 23 and really noticed how wide they are in comparison. They're really chunky! I haven't had one puncture so far having covered about 400 miles of pretty poor Scottish roads. The puncture proofing seems virtually impregnable.

On the down side they don't roll particularly well for me. There's a bit more effort required to reach the speeds I want and I find myself slowing much quicker that I feel that I should. They can be a bugger to fit too until you get the knack of it.

They don't really suit my purposes so will probably change them soon but if puncture protection is No.1 priority I would whole heartedly recommend them.
  • bilabonic
    Sell them to me then :D

Cheers for info
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    bilabonic wrote:
    Hi

Also with regards to size my existing tyres are 700x25 (25-622). How would this equate to inches as there are cheap sets on ebay in 26"x1 3/8" ?

Cheers

The metric sizes are quite logical if you ignore the 700 part. 622mm is the seating diameter of the tyre and 25mm refers to it's height (not width, though they are, of course related). Different manufacturers idea of what constitutes a 23mm or 25mm tyre does tend to vary slightly but the 622 is immutable or the tyre won't fit. So-called 27" tyres are 630mm.

Inches are irrelevant in this case. Modern road bike tyres live in the metric world. As should we all IMO :)

I've use Schwalbe tyres for several years and rarely get punctures. You can get Blizzards in both 23 and 25 with Kevlar puncture protection. A good way of avoiding punctures is to stay out of the gutter - a metre out, at least. It's also safer because overtaking traffic has to move out to pass and if they don't, you've got somewhere to escape - if you're near to the kerb you're trapped.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • bilabonic
    I have to go over some pretty rough ground on my approach to work, more suitable to a mountain bike, that's why i am considering the Marathon Plus.

Cheers for clearing up sizing.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I can recommend Vredestein Fortezza Quattro Trimcomp, no punctures and i go over some rough "cycle paths" on the commute.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... REDTYRF225
    Cheers, Stu
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    have got some michelin pro 2 s on my communter bike becasue they were in the sale when the pro 3s came out.

12 months on - only 1 pun!tu3e. i suspect pro 3 s are a little over spec but it works for me.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    The first rule in avoiding pun&tu3es is never to say the word out loud or in print - a bit like the 'Scottish Play'. Also keep your psi up as this pings away a lot of the nasties on the road.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Also, check your tyres regularly for embedded bits of flint/glass etc. And remove - I use the the blunt-point of an old knife.And fill with rubber glue/superglue if you want.

Re which tyre. I personally find the Marathon Plus too heavy for purely road riding. Used to use Michelin Krylion Carbon (25mm) which are generally robust and good in the wet. But the 2009 pair I have are prone to cut easily. My current favourite is the Vittoria Rubino Pro. Hard wearing, relatively cheap, folding (I've been known to carry a spare on long commutes/rides!) and more resistant to cuts. The Vittoria Rubino Pro Team is supposed to be even better.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have been using Specialized All Conditions Pro's for many years, on 3 different bikes, in sizes 26x1 (mtb commuter), 700x25 (audax bike) and 700x23 (road bike). I have had zero punctures caused by penetration in probably 6-8000 miles. Only punctures have been due to valve stem damage. They roll and grip well, and are light (700x23 = 225g). I have ridden them on all sorts of surfaces including canal towpaths. I had a brief experiment with Continentals (just for a change, and they had a puncture guarantee - it worked, they punctured often) and Hutchinson (fewer punctures, wore fairly fast). I really don't think I'll be experimenting anymore. Note the Pro is different to the armadillo version. Webster's Cycles are doing 2 pro's for £35.
  • I have Maxxis tyres with the Kevlar band on both of my bikes and have not had a puncture on either of them, it's worth looking to spend a bit more on a decent tyre's especialy in your situation when your commuting on a road that you know is giving you problems. Good luck and safe riding :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if puncture resistance is your out and out priority, then marathon plusses, really really tough.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    I swear by Conti Gatorskins.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    navt wrote:
    I swear by Conti Gatorskins.
    Me too! F*ing punctures! :lol:
  • bilabonic
    Ordered the marathon plus, as i say speed/weight is not important as it's only a 20/25 min commute.

Cheers
  • On a bike shop's recommendation I have Dutch Perfect 27x1.25 in (630x32 mm) slick treaded puncture resistant tyres used on roads tracks and towpaths and tempting fate by saying so they have lived up to their name where their predecessors were continually breached by thorns. Recommended highly.

They should be available in 622mm (700c sizes). Google their website.Distributed by Raleigh in UK.