Cracked headset cup

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Hello all

I'm fettling up a friends 1989 Peugeot Triathlon bike that has been out of use for over 10 years and is all a bit dried up. When I stripped the headset down I found a hairline crack in the lower bearing cup. Simple question - is this a 'get it replaced now or you and the frame will die' or a 'it'll last a bit longer so get it sorted next time you have it serviced' sort of thing? Somewhat assuming the former. Odd it happened though as I doubt the bike has seen that much mileage.

What sort of cost is a replacement bearing cup (fitted) going to likely be?

Cheers....Rolf
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    New headset ~ tenner plus another tenner for fitting. Depends on the material that the cup is made from, but the consequences of a broken lower headset are a loss of control and a big impact - you choose!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    Thanks for that - confirms my suspicions anyway! I presume the cup is stainless steel - the bike is a fairly ordinary Peugeot 531 maintubes thing - nice enough but conventionally spec'd.
  • rolf_f
    OK, been over to the local bike workshop and failed to find a replacement headset cup. Anyone know where to look or what the best option is for replacing the entire headset?

The original one is Shimano 105 circa 1989 and all looks in good shape aside from the cup so I'd rather just replace that. Diameter of the cup mount is 26.4mm.

P1050302.jpg
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Are you sure it's not just a split crown race ??
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • rolf_f
    Errr, possibly got my terminology wrong :oops: - crown race it is. Still don't know where to get a match. Don't fancy guessing and getting the wrong bit!
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    rockmount wrote:
    Are you sure it's not just a split crown race ??
    I mean are you sure it's a crack, and not meant to be like that ? a lot of crown races are split ..
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    That is cracked and should not be. The bearings run on that surface. The split type are only for centralising a complete bearing.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    That's definitely a cracked crown race - older style headsets didn't have split races. I have plenty spare but just going off on hols for 10 days...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    Monty Dog

Can happily wait ten days if you are sure you have the right one! Need to get this old bike back where it belongs (on the road, being pedalled by my mate Andy, its owner!)