Did it!!! 82 miles and over Bwlch y Groes

AGNI
AGNI Posts: 140
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Not too bad for a fat middle aged bloke who only started riding again about 4 months ago.

http://www.pedalformacmillan.org

5hrs 50 mins personal riding time. 4 breaks on the way. Managed to get over Bwlch y Groes but lost count the amount of times I had to stop for breath and start again.

Just waiting to find out the total monies raised so far.

Not sure what to go for next, apart from increasing my overall average mph
Still suffering with wind

Comments

• surista
    surista Posts: 141
    Congrats! You know have a PB time to try and beat next year ~

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
    http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/
  • AGNI
    Not sure I want to do the same route again just because of that hill. Only 2 of us actually managed to ride up it. The rest got off and pushed. They were nearly as quick by pushing than we were riding up it.

I think I will argue for a ride somewhere over Norfolk next year.
  • surista
    surista Posts: 141
    Buddy of mine did Mount Ventoux a few weeks ago. He called it 'soul destroying'. He was silly enough to sign up for l'etape this year, so he gets to enjoy the experience again in a week, only this time after having ridden a 150km.

We are supposed to be doing this for fun, right?

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
    http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/
  • AGNI
    A voice in me keeps saying that I should go back and get up that hill in one go. Luckily I have found that I can shut it up with beer :D
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    surista wrote:
    Buddy of mine did Mount Ventoux a few weeks ago. He called it 'soul destroying'. He was silly enough to sign up for l'etape this year, so he gets to enjoy the experience again in a week, only this time after having ridden a 150km.

We are supposed to be doing this for fun, right?

i'm doing the Cole Du Jeoux Plane and Cole Du Colombiere next week for the first time.

That'll be interesting....not.. :lol:
  • Well done Agni, lost my mother in law on boxing day to cancer after a long fight and Macmillan were brilliant, not possible without people like you getting out of your comfort zones.
    Don't ride faster than your angels can fly........
  • AGNI
    Well done Agni, lost my mother in law on boxing day to cancer after a long fight and Macmillan were brilliant, not possible without people like you getting out of your comfort zones.

Really sorry to hear that. Terrible time to lose someone, especially through such a cruel disease.

Its a shame that the service macmillan provide is not provided by the NHS.

Macmillan were excellent in helping in the fundraising. They even got the local paper down to take photos and do an article. Spurs the members on to raise as much as they can and also attracts others to join the cause. Next year, it looks like we will be doing 2 runs as there are many more people wanting to join in.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Well done and congratulations AGNI :D:D

That is some achievement after only 4 months!! This is coming also from a fat (but getting thinner) middle aged bloke - but I have been riding for a couple of years now. I don't think I could have done what you did after just 4 months :oops: :oops:

If you are interested, there are a series of rides, also in aid of Macmillan, in September starting in Stratford on Avon. See http://www.macride.org.uk/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=55

They are also doing a 100 mile Sportive around the edge of the Cotswolds this time. Click on "News" and follow the link.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • AGNI
    Gary D wrote:
    Well done and congratulations AGNI :D:D

That is some achievement after only 4 months!! This is coming also from a fat (but getting thinner) middle aged bloke - but I have been riding for a couple of years now. I don't think I could have done what you did after just 4 months :oops: :oops:

If you are interested, there are a series of rides, also in aid of Macmillan, in September starting in Stratford on Avon. See http://www.macride.org.uk/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=55

They are also doing a 100 mile Sportive around the edge of the Cotswolds this time. Click on "News" and follow the link.

Gary.
    Thanks. My tip is to train with people much younger and thinner than yourself.

That ride looks very interesting. Only problem for me is sponsorship. I doubt people would be happy to sponsor me on another ride so shortly after the last one. I am tempted to do the ride and put my own sponsorship money in but it wouldn't be a great amount.
  • AGNI
    What is the average speed in one of these sportives?

I averaged 14mph on the ride to barmouth but there was food stops on the way.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I know what you mean about the sponsership thing. I did the Macride last year and 2 weeks later I did a British Heart Foundation one on the Isle of Wight. I managed to raise a couple of hundred quid for both events (my employers were quite generous :) ) but if I do either of them this year I shan't feel as comfortable asking the same people again - I don't want to turn it in to an annual thing.

However, I don't think there is any problem as long as you raise something!

With regards to average speeds - I wouldn't worry about it. If you can do 14mph on the route you have just done you will be fine. You will not be the quickest by a long way - but you certainly won't be the slowest. This sort of event will attract entrants of wildly varying ages and ability.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • geoffnelder
    geoffnelder Posts: 165
    Well done, Agni.

I'd like to train with younger packs but I can't keep up. Too much podge and as I've discovered in another thread, my Armiadillo tyres are responsible for me cycling so slow ;)

I enjoy the challenge of the hills, especially the Welsh to the west and Pennines to the east. My dad gave up to cancer last month and now buried in Peebles. I'm planning a 4 day tour from Chester there later this year. He would have approved.

Congrats again on your ride.