Hi all, newbie buying advice here

Guinny
Guinny Posts: 10
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Right lads and lasses, been looking at the forums a lot recently and you all seem a pleasent and caring bunch so I was hoping you could help me.

Being quite unfit and wanting to get back into cycling (for years a 3-4 mile commute on a cheap arsed mtb) I thought a road bike is the way to go (more fun)

SO having a lmited budget, what would you recommend?

I have been looking at http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710 - Carrera vanquish from halfords

and

Giant Defy 3 http://www.dalescycles.com/2009_Giant_D ... 9defy3.htm

now I dont care about brand names and such, I do care about not spending too much money (more to the point the mrs cares about me not spending too much money) so which would you say is best? or any other suggestions? I aint too sure of building it myself so any assembly I would need to pay my local bike shop for and who knows how much they would charge.

Anyway, cheers for taking the time to read this poorly structured and rambling plea!

*edit buggeration posted in the wrong section, any chance a mod can move it for me?

Comments

• ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Are these 2 bikes your shortlist or are you open to suggestions?
  • Guinny
    open to suggestions, I freely admit to being so new I squeak when it comes to bikes
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The Specialized Allez is a popular model that springs to mind at a round the same price as the Giant Defy 3. 8)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-27-2009-road-bike-ec016020

...both the Giant & Specialized are well worth the little extra over the Carrera, long-term IMHO.
    Cycling weakly
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    edited July 2009
    I love my Allez! Well worth the £540 i spent on it (only got the double) Completed the Manchester - Blackpool ride on it yesterday with not a single problem!

Its a fantastic bike, but pay a visit to your LBS and try some out, let them know your needs and im sure they will be more than happy to advise!

edited: Whoops! Im blaming it on still being tired from the MCR - Blackpool ride yesterday!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • zoglug m8 £5.40 for an Allez Bargin, where did you get it from I would like a few, :D
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    Giant & Specialized are both reliable brands. One of my bikes is a Giant SCR3. Been riding it for 3 years and it's done more than 15 000miles. Only replaced the brake pads, chain and tyres from wear and tear. Excellent value for money.
  • Crezor
    Crezor Posts: 9
    Try the Specialized Secteur (whatever model you can afford) if you find other road bikes geometry a little to "racy". The Secteur (same geo. as the Spec. Roubaix) is a little more upright having a longer head tube. I found it to be more comfortable to me than the other road bikes I tried. I came from a MTB also for whatever that's worth.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    If I were buying, I'd look at the Carrera, which is well specced and a better price. It would really depend whether the finish - welds - were so ugly they would annoy in time. Make sure you buy the right size frame as both of these are not 'normal' 54cms owing to slanting top tubes.
  • Guinny
    cheers lads, all help appreciated