Another wheel question

bobtbuilder
bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm still searching for a new wheelset, and I'm changing my mind more often than my pants, so apologies to those (NapoleonD take a bow) for their continued patience and input.....

OK - After speaking to various people, I have decided that I want a carbon wheelset with an aluminium rim. After my 40+ mph off last year, I'm not prepared to go full carbon and the inevitable drop in braking performance. Also, the 300 - 400 grams I could save in weight seems insignificant when compared to the lard I could afford to lose :oops:

So..... I need the best carbon wheel with alu rim within a budget of £1,000 and suitable for an 84kg rider.

I was headed for the SRAM S60, but am now leaning towards the Easton EC70 SL Carbon, which has very good reviews.

If I promise that this is the last wheelset question that I post for a while, please could you guys give me some recommendations / reviews?

Thanks,

Rob.

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    Anyone????
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Why not got some dura ace 7850 C24 or C50??

The C24 get rave reviews. Both are lighter than the Eastons
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm still searching for a new wheelset, and I'm changing my mind more often than my pants, so apologies to those (NapoleonD take a bow) for their continued patience and input.....

OK - After speaking to various people, I have decided that I want a carbon wheelset with an aluminium rim. After my 40+ mph off last year, I'm not prepared to go full carbon and the inevitable drop in braking performance. Also, the 300 - 400 grams I could save in weight seems insignificant when compared to the lard I could afford to lose :oops:

So..... I need the best carbon wheel with alu rim within a budget of £1,000 and suitable for an 84kg rider.

I was headed for the SRAM S60, but am now leaning towards the Easton EC70 SL Carbon, which has very good reviews.

If I promise that this is the last wheelset question that I post for a while, please could you guys give me some recommendations / reviews?

Thanks,

Rob.

If you're not worried about saving "300-400 grams" because you're a "lard" *ss(like myself) why bother with carbon at all? But if it's carbon you must have then go with the one you like the looks of the most. As long as you check to see if there is a rider weight
    limit that might apply.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You have some good wheels to choose from.

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs at £850 pair, worth shopping around 1740g pair

Dura Ace 7850 C24s would be a good choice, as already recommended. 1380g pair.

The Easton EA90SLX (although not carbon) got a good review in C+ lately at approx £600 - 1398g pair

There are others of course but these are a few of the more likely candidates.
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    Why have you settled on carbon with alloy braking surface?

It's a little hard to give a good answer without knowing what you have now and what kind of riding you want to do with them. With the possible exception of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs, carbon/alloy is generally not a good way to construct a wheel. The DA 1380s are reasonable and would also qualify but are suited to different conditions to the Carbones. The need for rim tape and spoke breakages (IIRC) reported would put me off though...

The Eastons you mention are full carbon tubs so I don't know how that squares with your comment about not wanting to compromise on carbon braking? Carbon braking in the dry is fine when you're used to it and with the right caliper/pad/rim combination. In the wet you're right to be concerned...
  • bobtbuilder
    James - thanks for your input. To answer your questions:
    Why have you settled on carbon with alloy braking surface?

A: Feedback from friends who have ridden Carbon / aluminium vs. full aluminium
    It's a little hard to give a good answer without knowing what you have now and what kind of riding you want to do with them.

The new wheels are for my Orbea Orca which is currently being built. My old bike has Ksyrium SLs on it. My riding tends to be Sportives & group rides.
    The Eastons you mention are full carbon tubs

I don't think that's correct - this is part of the Easton blurb:

"The EC70 SL combines the weight and stiffness benefits of carbon with the durability and convenience of an aluminum clincher to create one of the most versatile wheel sets in our line. The EC70 SL is fast, light and stiff while offering an incredible hand-built ride quality. They will make you go faster"
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    If you're still looking, CRC have the Eastons on sale at £499.99 (45% off!)